Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The K&ESR lacks some of the glamour of the Bluebell, and certainly has fewer punters, but also has an enormous and different atmosphere. I lived at Cranbrook, only a few minutes away, and a Sunday morning at Tenterden was a world away from the railway on which I commuted, and from the workplace. Sitting on the platform at Wittersham Road - I think we travelled on the first day of the station opening in the '70s - and hearing a train wind along the lowlands from Rolvenden, one really did rediscover what rural railways were all about.  Whether they will ever manage to link to Robertsbridge I know not. The bottom line will benefit if they do, but the increase in traffic that is certain to follow might dilute those values and qualities I have tried to describe. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Kent and East Sussex Railway photo’s which are full of atmosphere and interest. In J6724, at Tenterden, with GWR railcar number 20 and Terrier number 10, Sutton, light engine, on the 26th of December, 1979, you have a lovely three quarter shot of the Terrier in the low December sunlight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice Edinburgh pictures today. Interesting to see 47633 on its home turf on a short ballast train. The following year it may well have been transferred south as it was photographed at least three times on freight trains in the Thames Valley and on the Berks & Hants but still with its Eastfield depot dog logo. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David 

Looking at the picture of the 101 and it looks slightly odd, then I realised the white marker light bulbs are the top ones whereas most use the bottom lamp holder for whites and red at the top when they were converted to show reds

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Edinburgh photo’s which capture the lines through Princes Street Gardens perfectly. The first one, in Edinburgh Princes Street Gardens with 47633, in large logo blue livery, on an up ballast train in August, 1987, is a great example of a short train, as previously mentioned, and is ideal for a space starved layout.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
Compressing a space...
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Middlesbrough photo’s which are all full of interest. That is a great portrait shot, in J8515, of 143004, at Boldon Colliery - Brockley Whins, on a Sunderland to Newcastle service in April, 1986.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, caradoc said:

J2666; An interesting assortment of signals !

Merry Christmas David and thanks for our daily fix of superb ptotos.

I think we are looking at 13/23/36 signals. 13 appears to have been fogged. Super pictures, loads of bygones like stubble burning and IC125's...Essendine.jpg.1c30711f65dfee12e669a950d127cdb1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, and I wish you a very Merry Christmas.

The photo’s of the ECML between Peterborough and Grantham are superb and bring back plenty of happy memories. In the last photo’, at High Dyke, with class 55, 9002, on an up express passenger train in July, 1973, you can also see which wires have been cut away from the insulators on the telegraph pole. You never get to see that level of detail on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

The ECML between Peterborough and Grantham for Christmas Eve.

141236595_EssendineClass47NewcastletoKingsXMay71J2666.jpg.2324612c0bd408ac3e52498c22344644.jpg

Essendine Class 47 Newcastle to Kings X May 71 J2666.jpg

In the late 50's on a Sunday afternoon Pickworth Road (where the white car is) would be lined with cars of the day and whole families picnicing on the nicely manicured grass embankment ,inside of the railway fence.

Nobody ever minded, no H&S bods interfered, everyone was there just to enjoy the trains go by.  What happy memories of those warm summer days. :declare:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Essendine  HST up Aug 83 C6180

Interesting that one, as it appears to be a WR formation 2+7 rather than the ER 2+8.

It is not NE-SW as they only had a single TF. So guessing it has had a defective vehicle removed, either TS or TRxx.....

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1