Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway photo’s which are full of interest. In J8020, at Toton, with 25051, on a down freight train in July, 1983, there is plenty of interest to see, including the bridge, the tracks on two levels, the 25 and it’s train. A great composition.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Chris116 said:

A quick google search shows that it went to the Great Central. However the last entry on the "Departmentals" site I landed up in was in 2009 so a lot could have happened since then!

As it is now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Great_Central_Railway_locomotives_and_rolling_stock#/media/File:GreatCentralRailwayArrowvaleBelle.JPG

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nene Valley Railway photo’s. They are full of interest and show the varied stock which was running on the railway back in 1981. In J7370, at Orton Mere, in May, 1981, with a Peterborough to Orton Mere service, the DMU is a hybrid unit comprised of a Cravens class 105/2 DMBS, then the second car is a Birmingham RC&W class 104 DTCL. You can tell, as ever, from the different tumblehome, three and a half windows between the two passenger doors, and the roof vents. 

The ECML photo’s from Damdykes are delightful and captures a now bygone age perfectly. The first photo’ from February, 1991, is a reminder of how cold and snowy it was in that month of 1991. I can still recall it vividly today.

It’s interesting to see the pantograph at almost full stretch in C18032 - 91012, on that Glasgow Central to Kings  Cross express, on the 5th September, 1992, would be making the OHLE sway with it’s high speed running.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Nene Valley Railway photo’s. They are full of interest and show the varied stock which was running on the railway back in 1981. In J7370, at Orton Mere, in May, 1981, with a Peterborough to Orton Mere service, the DMU is a hybrid unit comprised of a Cravens class 105/2 DMBS, then the second car is a Birmingham RC&W class 104 DTCL. You can tell, as ever, from the different tumblehome, three and a half windows between the two passenger doors, and the roof vents. 

The ECML photo’s from Damdykes are delightful and captures a now bygone age perfectly. The first photo’ from February, 1991, is a reminder of how cold and snowy it was in that month of 1991. I can still recall it vividly today.

It’s interesting to see the pantograph at almost full stretch in C18032 - 91012, on that Glasgow Central to Kings  Cross express, on the 5th September, 1992, would be making the OHLE sway with it’s high speed running.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Wasn't that when we experienced the "wrong sort of snow" for the first time?

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Harrogate photo’s which are full of interest and nostalgia. In the last photo’, of 141112, on a Leeds to Knaresborough service in April, 1990, you can see, clearly, just how narrow those units were compared to the 144’s in the earlier photo’s since they were basically Leyland National bodies. The 142’s were modified to rail width and the 144’s had a totally different body by Alexanders. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Wasn't that when we experienced the "wrong sort of snow" for the first time?

Not only the UK; SNCF had more than half their fleet out of service.

My wife was interviewed , then taken on by, Terry Worrall; having been advised not to mention the weather, she was somewhat surprised to find his office full of apposite cartoons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love the Harrogate pics Dave, strange to think the 144's are still very occasional visitors very nearly 30 years later. Also nice to see the station just before the new, horrible, footbridge was put up with the shopping centre opposite the station, still criminal that the original station was pulled down.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

Yes, Happy New Year David; and many thanks for all your contributions to this site over many years. 

They are much appreciated, even though I do not get around to pressing 'Like' to all the image sets. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, and I wish you a Happy New Year. I like the Settle and Carlisle photo’s which are full of interest. It’s good seeing 80800, getting its tanks replenished at Appleby, whilst  working to Carlisle from Kirkby Stephen on the  22nd February, 1993, in C18283. That is something you rarely see these days of course.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ayr photo’s which are now thirty years old this year! I particularly like C13994, of two 08’s, 08586 and 08561, on the 18th February, 1990. What a lovely sight they both make.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year Dave.  The photo's you post are inspirational.  This is my daily "go to" thread. 

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to keep us all entertained.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

C12108a those 31s are on an SO working that used a WCML Mk3 set of coaches that would be used elsewhere during the working week - otherwise Mk3 hauled coaches were practically unknown on cross-country (NE-SW services). I've a pic of the same working in the Dawlish area.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

C12108a those 31s are on an SO working that used a WCML Mk3 set of coaches that would be used elsewhere during the working week - otherwise Mk3 hauled coaches were practically unknown on cross-country (NE-SW services). I've a pic of the same working in the Dawlish area.

Those WCML Mk3 rakes were used at various times on summer Saturdays on Liverpool and Manchester to Paignton services as well as Milton Keynes to Penzance. It must have been a nice way to start or end your holiday; weekend first in a Mk3 (Pullman set if you were lucky) with a pair of 31s attempting to keep time at the front.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Western photo’s from Bristol, which are all of interest. In C12120, at Bristol Temple Meads, with 43037 at rear of a HST from Bristol to Leeds, on the 1st July, 1989, that livery suited them well, and was second only to the original blue, grey and yellow livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1