Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML in Northumberland photo’s which are full of interest. The last one, C11830, of Chathill, on the 31st March, 1989, is a delightful shot of the lovely station building. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

C18129 - what's the portal structure for?

That's a very good question to which I do not have the answer, but see Mark Saunders post just below.

Edited to remove a quess.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

The Goal Posts are there because of the overhead wires and to ensure the self propelled cranes did not go under them with the jib raised.

Mark Saunders 

Mark,

Very many thanks,  at long last I know the real reason.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s to Lynemouth. All are of interest and are most nostalgic. In the first one, of Sleekburn viaduct, on Sunday, the 21st September, 1986, it shows some detail of the structure, and what a great  model it would make.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Do you think we will ever see passengers on the Blythe and Tyne the authorities seem to have  been talking for years.

It does appear that progress is being made.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The Goal Posts are there because of the overhead wires and to ensure the self propelled cranes did not go under them with the jib raised.

Mark Saunders 

Cheers mark , all the times I went along there in the 90s I never fully understood what they were for figured they had something to do with the wires but didn't think of cranes. Are they still there?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, DaveF said:

A visit to Beamish, the Living Museum of the North, with most of the photos taken in 1980, others in 1987. 

Needless to say it is very different now with much more to see and do and is very well worth visiting. 

1040678937_BeamishexGlasgowUndergroundcarsAug80J7141.jpg.be65405738c6a8c61fdf45a01c8092c4.jpg

Beamish ex Glasgow Underground cars Aug 80 J7141.jpg

1811866837_BeamishGatesheadtram10Aug80J7139.jpg.23d16bd2771adaa0634015c6e04c35f1.jpg

Beamish Gateshead tram 10 Aug 80 J7139

1674143823_BeamishPitVillagecollierytubAug80J7148.jpg.0f261d36387745f53f286b1b62f13aa0.jpg

Beamish Pit Village colliery tub Aug 80 J7148

811704075_BeamishPitVillageReplicaLocomotionNo1Aug80J7145.jpg.48090343060996ae6fd7a7e67ce0170d.jpg

Beamish Pit Village Replica Locomotion No 1 Aug 80 J7145.jpg

1666060381_BeamishRowleyJ21NERClassC8763rdSept87C9131.jpg.79934fac1bb0cf3ad2510daca00803e6.jpg

Beamish Rowley J21 NER Class C 876 3rd Sept 87 C9131.jpg

1751715424_BeamishSheffieldtram5133rdSept87C9123.jpg.44879d464497c9715ba622ec3d9a5a87.jpg

Beamish Sheffield tram 513 3rd Sept 87 C9123.jpg

David

Great pictures David,  the early pictures remind me of school trips in the 70s.

I didn't go back until about 6 years ago and couldn't believe how much bigger and better it had got.

Am I right in thinking the railway at the station and the pit were linked or at least the trackbeds were 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

As far as I know they aren’t there now, so one wonders what happened to them?

I think they were bought to provide materials for restoring the trams.

5 minutes ago, russ p said:

Great pictures David,  the early pictures remind me of school trips in the 70s.

I didn't go back until about 6 years ago and couldn't believe how much bigger and better it had got.

Am I right in thinking the railway at the station and the pit were linked or at least the trackbeds were 

The railway and pit line were going to be linked, but it was later decided to make the tramway into a continuous run, which used up the proposed railway line's space.

With the number of visitors nowadays it was a wise decision.

David

• Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, russ p said:

Cheers mark , all the times I went along there in the 90s I never fully understood what they were for figured they had something to do with the wires but didn't think of cranes. Are they still there?

Russ

They were still there but I haven’t been since GBRf got the coal and now biomass from Tyne Dock!

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think they were bought to provide materials for restoring the trams.

The railway and pit line were going to be linked, but it was later decided to make the tramway into a continuous run, which used up the proposed railway line's space.

With the number of visitors nowadays it was a wise decision.

David

Thanks David,

Makes sense.  The two lines were to be linked, as you said, but I think another issue is that it would have resulted in a VERY tight curve, which would have limited which locos and vehicles could have traversed the route.  This along with the desire to create the circular tramway more or less made the decision for them I think. 

Great shots as ever - I remember going to Beamish, when the tram way terminated in the town, and there was a wooden fence across the road at the opposite end of the Co-Op to the railway station.  How the place has grown since, and now with the 1950s village coming on, I need a return visit this year!  Despite being in Lincolnshire, I like how they charge an entrance fee and then you can go back as often as you like for the next 12 months :)

Rich

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Beamish photo’s which are all excellent compositions of it, and I particularly like J7139, of a Gateshead tram, number 10, in August, 1980. I can’t help but notice the different size wheels in the bogies nearest to the camera and the advertisement below the lower deck windows. There used to be a Walter Willson’s next to the Londesborough Arms hotel in Market Weighton back in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s. A very nice shop full of friendly people.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Beamish photo’s which are all excellent compositions of it, and I particularly like J7139, of a Gateshead tram, number 10, in August, 1980. I can’t help but notice the different size wheels in the bogies nearest to the camera and the advertisement below the lower deck windows. There used to be a Walter Willson’s next to the Londesborough Arms hotel in Market Weighton back in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s. A very nice shop full of friendly people.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

That was quite common on bogie trams with only two motors, one driving each axle with the large wheels, the smaller wheels were more like guiding wheels.

They were know as "maximum traction bogies"

https://www.tramwayinfo.com/Tramframe.htm?https://www.tramwayinfo.com/Models/Howto/Trucks.htm

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1