Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s which, as always, are full of interest and show how things were back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I particularly like the last photo’, of 31235 and 31159, both in the ‘Dutch’ livery, running light engines, on the 26th February, 1994. Also, in the right hand background, you can see a class 47 with buffers with different finishes. Not too often you see something like that on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cumbrian Coast line photo’s, which capture the landscape the line traverses perfectly. In C8792, at Seascale, looking south, on the 7th August, 1987, you can see the very low platforms and that steps were needed to help get passengers on and off the trains. I’m not sure if the platforms remain like that today or have been raised up.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Cumbrian Coast line photo’s, which capture the landscape the line traverses perfectly. In C8792, at Seascale, looking south, on the 7th August, 1987, you can see the very low platforms and that steps were needed to help get passengers on and off the trains. I’m not sure if the platforms remain like that today or have been raised up.

The platforms have not been raised but have instead been equipped with a "Harrington Hump" - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrington_Hump

The picture in the article is at Aberdovey but the one at Seascale is similar. 

• Thanks 2

I am another "noticer of the steps"!

One thing I remember about such things is the seemed to be made out of solid lead! Not the easiest thing to find, move and use at 23:20 to let the Saturday night drunks off safely at Shireoaks   :D

• Thanks 1

C8411 looks rather close for what seems to be a converging line. DMU appears to be heading towards the camera (white lights on the cab). Presumably the 37 was stationary, or possibly propelling when the picture was taken?

Or is it an optical illusion caused by a long lens?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

C8411 looks rather close for what seems to be a converging line. DMU appears to be heading towards the camera (white lights on the cab). Presumably the 37 was stationary, or possibly propelling when the picture was taken?

I don't know the area but it all looks normal to me.

If you look in front of the loco you can see that the catch (trap if you prefer) point is turned away from the main line. My guess is that the crew are waiting for the DMU to clear so that  they can get permission to open the ground frame and follow it or possibly to then continue shunting.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

I don't know the area but it all looks normal to me.

If you look in front of the loco you can see that the catch (trap if you prefer) point is turned away from the main line. My guess is that the crew are waiting for the DMU to clear so that  they can get permission to open the ground frame and follow it or possibly to then continue shunting.

2 minutes ago, caradoc said:

The tanks at Dalston came (and still do !) from Grangemouth, once the DMU is clear the loco has to run round the train on the main line.

The 37 was stationary at the time.

It was waiting to draw forward onto the main line to run round.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Does look like an imminent disaster, doesn’t it?  It obviously wasn’t or we’d have known about it.  Possible explanation; dmu has the road and is proceeding normally; 37 on branch is stationary at signal just out of shot to the right, possibly ground frame controlling trap point which you can see extreme right. There is no signal visible, and the movement might be controlled by hand-signal. 

The 37 looks as if it’s moving but this is an illusion caused by a wind blowing  the exhaust to the rear. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Does look like an imminent disaster, doesn’t it?  It obviously wasn’t or we’d have known about it.  Possible explanation; dmu has the road and is proceeding normally; 37 on branch is stationary at signal just out of shot to the right, possibly ground frame controlling trap point which you can see extreme right. There is no signal visible, and the movement might be controlled by hand-signal. 

The 37 looks as if it’s moving but this is an illusion caused by a wind blowing  the exhaust to the rear. 

No disaster in this case, imminent or otherwise. However, during my time in Glasgow Control, this long running service has certainly been involved in incidents ! (It ran, and AFAIK still does, as 6M34 from Grangemouth to Dalston and 6S36 return although I believe it is nowadays too long to go to Dalston as one train, and runs in two portions between Kingmoor and Dalston).

Not long after I started in Glasgow 6M34, which at that time ran in the morning, caught fire between Wishaw and Law Jc; Cue DG Emergency, emergency isolation of the OLE, etc.

Many years later, post-privatisation, 6M34, by now running at night, derailed (one wagon bogie) at Swingbridge (just west of Falkirk Grahamston), ran derailed to Carmuirs East Jc where the bogie rerailed itself at a crossover; Neither the Driver or any of the Signallers were any the wiser, other than a couple of Track Circuit failures behind it. Only when the S&T got to site did the multiple damaged sleepers and broken rails come to light ! The train was stopped south of Cumbernauld where after inspection it was deemed unfit to go forward. So we had two separate routes blocked, the Down line from Grahamston to Carmuirs East, and the Up line through Cumbernauld. That was a fun night shift.......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Derbyshire photo’s which are all full of interest. In J2835, at Cromford, with the Midland Railway viaduct over the River Derwent, in March, 1972, you have what is a most delightful view, which I’m sure would make a great painting.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from Northumberland. All are full of interest, and that last one, C15577, at Buston Barns, on the 16th February, 1991, with 142021 on a Berwick to Newcastle service, is now of great historical interest with the withdrawal of all the class 142’s from Heaton. Plus that livery went many years ago. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ECML from Darlington northwards to Newcastle. All are full of interest, and the first photo’, C8248, at Darlington, with 47602 on a Newcastle to Liverpool service on the 26th February, 1987, shows a good plume of exhaust as the 47 departs from the station.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Nice pics as ever Dave.

31 466, did it have some special painting at cantrail level? Looks alternate grey and red? Interesting livery variation.

Cheers

James

I think it is probably just paint damage, it could also be emphasised by the process of scanning and colour correcting - I am sure the stripe was orange.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I think it is probably just paint damage, it could also be emphasised by the process of scanning and colour correcting - I am sure the stripe was orange.

David

Thought it might be paint/scanning, would have made an interesting change to orange!

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

Nice pics as ever Dave.

31 466, did it have some special painting at cantrail level? Looks alternate grey and red? Interesting livery variation.

What drew my eye in that photo was the fourth vehicle back, an ex-works GUV. A rare beast in the wild for NPCCS....

Regards,

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1