Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

41 minutes ago, melmerby said:

C09548

Strange bit of "Plain Lining" where only half has been done.

I wonder why they didn't bother with the other crossing?

Nice selection of pictures as always Dave

Fairly standard to see that method of plain lining up here anyway, may have possibly depended on why it had been done, maybe to remove a defective crossing and awaiting a replacement?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

Fairly standard to see that method of plain lining up here anyway, may have possibly depended on why it had been done, maybe to remove a defective crossing and awaiting a replacement?

12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Work in progress?

Mike.

Droitwich Spa is the same but it was done many years ago:

https://goo.gl/maps/Jzjy3FtxYy2yC25Z9

Don't know whether it has since been re-instated

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

C09548

Hi Melmerby,

Have a look back in this thread to 15/05/2019 and you will see another photo Dave posted (C9467) showing 47600 passing over the same points (517). I posted a comment on 16/05/2019 offering a possible reason for the plain lining.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iands said:

Hi Melmerby,

Have a look back in this thread to 15/05/2019 and you will see another photo Dave posted (C9467) showing 47600 passing over the same points (517). I posted a comment on 16/05/2019 offering a possible reason for the plain lining.

I wonder whether it was a faulty crossing taken out of service pending known track alterations for the imminent electrification?*

The photos are 1988, by '91 the ECML around there was electrified.

(It has been singled for some considerable time.)

*this ties in with the new signalling system.

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I wonder whether it was a faulty crossing taken out of service pending known track alterations for the imminent electrification?*

The photos are 1988, by '91 the ECML around there was electrified.

(It has been singled for some considerable time.)

*this ties in with the new signalling system.

Agree. My assumption is that the crossing was faulty and was removed (and plain lined) to keep the job going as a "temporary" measure in anticipation of any proposed remodelling/resignalling/electrification works.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, iands said:

Agree. My assumption is that the crossing was faulty and was removed (and plain lined) to keep the job going as a "temporary" measure in anticipation of any proposed remodelling/resignalling/electrification works.

No doubt in Dave's wondrous collection of NE photos will be all the stages of track remodelling/electrification.:)

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photo’s which are all full of interest. In J7617, with a class 114 DMU, on a Nottingham to Boston service, in December, 1981, it is a great winter’s scene, and makes me wonder if we will ever have another December as cold and snowy as that one was.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photo’s which are all full of interest. In J7617, with a class 114 DMU, on a Nottingham to Boston service, in December, 1981, it is a great winter’s scene, and makes me wonder if we will ever have another December as cold and snowy as that one was.

Also note that that is a bit of a hybrid set, one car in early refurb white/blue, the other in blue/grey.

regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2020 at 23:09, melmerby said:

C09548

Often done like that when the crossing nose has cracked and been removed until a replacement is made.

Edited by 45125
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 45125 said:

Often done like that when the cross nose has cracked and been removed until a replacement is made.

Indeed, and if the route affected is not essential to the daily train service it might be months before the crossing is replaced, if at all !

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2020 at 23:54, 43110andyb said:

Standard operating practice if there's no spare available ……………………. I recall an instance where this had been done at Farningham Road (twixt Swanley & Rochester) on the remaining X-over (for some months) and subsequently this was only discovered by the Operating department when they came to use it for turning back the train service due to a 28-hour Engineering Possession !!!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the King’s Cross photo’s from the 20th October, 1993. All are very interesting, and full of atmosphere. I particularly like C19186, with, of the four class 91’s, 91012. Hard to believe that you don’t get that many together these days with the class 80x replacements etc.,

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

It was far untidier than that in the 1960s before that new concourse area was built. A real hotch-potch.

In the 40's and 50's the frontage to Kings Cross was somewhat irreverently known as the African Village due to it's sprawling, random buildings, there were even semi detached houses there at one point.

Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures again David,  as quite often happens in your photos you have caught some unintentional automotive history this time Novas GTE and SR or possibly SRi in the third picture both very rare vehicles today 

• Thanks 1