Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Cracking photos yet again Dave, thanks for sharing.

J1127 reminds me of a story I was told many years ago when a certain member of the S&T staff who was working at Thirsk at the time (and who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent) decided to make the Wickham trolley in use at the time, shall we say, a little more authentic when running along the line by nailing an old paint tin to the roof containing an old oily rag and putting a match to it. The rag smouldered nicely whilst stationary giving off a moderate whiff of smoke. Then he and his mate climbed aboard and set off down the line. After 10 minutes or so, due to the draft, the rag started to really burn giving off thicker and blacker smoke. Great! they thought. After another few minutes they realised that something wasn't quite right as the smoke got thicker and they were coughing a bit from the oil/paint fumes. Looking up they realised that the paint tin had become so hot it had set fire to the roof of the trolley which was wooden slats covered in roofing felt. Needless to say by the time he had brought the trolley to a halt the roof was well alight and was totally consumed by the flames. Not sure how he explained away the damage to the trolley when challenged by 'management', but it didn't seem to affect his career which was long in the S&T, and whom I had the pleasure (I'm sure that's the right word) of working with a few times. Many other stories of equal hilarity and danger surround this person (and I can personally vouch for a couple of them myself).

I wonder if the trolley in J1127 is the actual one that suffered the fire damage?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Pilmoor photo’s which are of such inspiration and interest. I can’t possibly do better than the  extraordinary Wickham trolley story except to add that in J0968, with A4 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley, on a special from Kings Cross to Newcastle, in July, 1967, the fifth carriage looks like an ex LNER vehicle. Sadly the photo’ is not clear enough, but it could be a Gresley buffet car.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Peak Forest and the Middleton Top, C&HP, photo’s, which are all full of interest. In the last photo’, C14244, at Middleton Top, C&HP, on Sunday 8th April, 1990, you have a fine view of the Midland Railway open wagon which should come in useful for model making.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from Darlington of the Weardale branch. All are of great interest and nostalgia. In C19202, at Darlington North Road, the class 153, 153351, on a service to Bishop Auckland, on the 4th December, 1993, shows a typical state that such units would get into by that date.

In complete contrast, in J4449, at Shildon, with the drinking fountain, that was erected in 1914, by the working mens club, shows engine Royal George, in June, 1975. The fountain makes a lovely sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Dave don't think last pic is Rannoch  looks like nearer to the  Fort

You are correct,

it is Spean Bridge.

I managed to copy and paste the wrong caption, I've now got it right (I hope).

David

• Like 1

I remember my Trip to Scotland from Hampshire in May 1970. Driving an Ex Co-op Ford Thames Van, that the Co-op had fitted a Consul 4 Speed Gearbox into replacing the original 3 Speed, and I had made into a Camper.

After spending a Sunday night in Edinburgh Cattle Market, my mate and I drove up over Rannoch Moor and through the Glencoe Pass to Fort William, our base for the weeks Scottish Six Days Motor Cycle Trials.

I never saw a Train all week, as it was before I got interested in Railways, Real and Model in 1977, and with my love now on Seven Mills Sidings of the Blue period, I think back, and what a waste.

Some great pics as always Dave, and thanks for keeping us entertained.:good:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the NYMR photo’s, which are all full of atmosphere, and the first one, at Grosmont, in July, 1983, is a splendid side portrait of the sole preserved J72, Joem.

The Scottish photo’s are as fascinating as ever, and what a superb view of the West Highland scenery in C6864, at Rannoch Moor, with 37259 and 37121, on the  WBHS from Newcastle to Fort William, on the 11th May, 1985.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures! In the first set at NYMR you have two pictures both numbered C2233 in August 1975, where one is of 45428 in BR livery and the other shows the same engine in LMS livery as 5428. Just wondered if one of the captions is wrong, or whether the loco had indeed been painted BR on one side and LMS on the other! It has been known I think ...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RFS said:

Great pictures! In the first set at NYMR you have two pictures both numbered C2233 in August 1975, where one is of 45428 in BR livery and the other shows the same engine in LMS livery as 5428. Just wondered if one of the captions is wrong, or whether the loco had indeed been painted BR on one side and LMS on the other! It has been known I think ...

Robert,

Thank you very much for pointing out my caption error.

The first of the photos of the Class 5, 45428 was of course taken at Grosmont and was in May 1989.  My apologies for confusing you.

Once again it was a simple copy and paste error in my adding captions.

I have to admit that for a number of reasons today has not been good (nothing to do with the weather - it's been quite pleasant here since lunchtime) and my mind was on other things when I posted both sets of photos today.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, DaveF said:

I have to admit that for a number of reasons today has not been good (nothing to do with the weather - it's been quite pleasant here since lunchtime) and my mind was on other things when I posted both sets of photos today.

I hope things improve for you soonest, Dave. Your unfailing postings, day in, day out, bring a lot of pleasure to a lot of members. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I hope things were a bit better for you today. I hope you are not feeling pressured into posting photo’s each day. We can wait a while and see how things go with you and your family - you and your family come first.

I’ve enjoyed seeing the photo’s today, but please, only post photo’s when you feel you can.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1