Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2020 at 08:43, brushman47544 said:

If that’s the case how on earth did Scotland have an alcohol problem? Of course....crap beer so everyone drank whisky instead...

Have you seen Cumbernauld?  Nobody could endure that sober!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

819668643_kSewsternNorthyardpointbeingremovedtorealigntoa10chainradiuscurveforexpressenginesSept73J3386.jpg.1aff9cb8334eb67848253ba4afaf0bd3.jpg

Near Sewstern North yard point being removed to realign to a 10 chain radius curve for express engine (i.e. Pendennis Castle and Flying Scotsman) Sept 73 J3386.jpg  ex British Steel line.

David

"The trouble with this Peco Streamline is getting a smooth curve"

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of the High Dyke branch and associated lines. All convey, perfectly, the way it was back in the early seventies. In J2797, at Woolsthorpe Lane level crossing, with class 31, number 5675, on a down light engine movement, in November, 1971, it’s interesting to see the crossing had been converted to an AHB.  

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I really like the ECML photo’s from Grantham to Retford. All are so nostalgic and most interesting. In J6414, at Dry Doddington, the class 47, on an up working, in April, 1979, has it’s train composed of Mk1 stock. That makes me wonder if it’s some kind of extra or excursion working.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Good afternoon David. J6055 is 55005

J7821 is interesting. Weren't all ECML sets supposed to be 8 coaches, so this one looks like a temporary short formation.

I saw a number of 7 car sets over the years, in the early days it was often one of the catering coaches that was mssing.

David

On 17/02/2020 at 09:58, BernardTPM said:

Have any since been restored to original form? I would say they were worthy of it.

37518 is still in its original condition having not been converrted to anything else since arrival at Foxfield, it is currently used as storage but is in need of some remedial works and repainting. A distinct lack of manpower (in common with most heritage lines) means this is highly unlikely to get carrried out and the vehicle will undoubtedly suffer as a consequence.

38268 was converted to a kitchen car in the late 80s for Wine and Dine trains and is currently stored.

37519 has masqueraded as 'The Bass Belle' following conversion to a bar car also for the Wine and Dine trains and is also currently stored although there are ongoing discussions regarding the future of this vehicle.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That is a most excellent set of photo’s of Grantham. What memories they bring back. I like the portrait of large logo blue 47, 47578, The Royal Society Of Edinburgh, on a Hull to King’s Cross express in May, 1987, in  J8914.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Interesting to see the appearance of the first electrification masts in J8914, one on the up side and a couple on the down side. Also to consider that that was May 1987 and electric services to Leeds and then York followed within the next couple of years - rather a contrast with the recent Great Western Main Line electrification.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Call me sad, but the first photo shows the pair of ex-LMS 50' full brakes (minus their gangways) that were at Grantham for years. I never did find out what happened to them....

Thanks for that blast from the past Dave!

Andy G

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, uax6 said:

Call me sad, but the first photo shows the pair of ex-LMS 50' full brakes (minus their gangways) that were at Grantham for years. I never did find out what happened to them....

Thanks for that blast from the past Dave!

Andy G

On a similar subject the Mk1 GUV that has been at Ipswich for years has recently been cut up

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Manchester Oxford Road and Piccadilly photo’s which are all of interest, and wonderful time capsules. In C14068, at Manchester Oxford Road, with class 142, 142058, on a service to Blackpool North, on the 3rd March, 1990, you have captured a great portrait of a class of unit which is now nearly extinct.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

In C15185 wouldn’t it have been unusual by Sept. 1990 to see an IC Class 90 on it’s own at the buffers? The DVTs had been introduced by then so no need for replacement loco.

Maybe it worked in on a cross-country service?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Western Aviator said:

Maybe yes, but at the beginning only the Class 90s worked with the DVTs  - the 86s and 87s following later - so it would I think have been very unusual.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

In C15185 wouldn’t it have been unusual by Sept. 1990 to see an IC Class 90 on it’s own at the buffers? The DVTs had been introduced by then so no need for replacement loco.

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Maybe yes, but at the beginning only the Class 90s worked with the DVTs  - the 86s and 87s following later - so it would I think have been very unusual.

It's another case of "if only I'd taken a few more photos while I was there I might have seen what the Class 90 was doing".

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like all of the photo’s that have various connections with the Great Western. Each one has it’s own points of interest, and I particularly like J3413, at Hereford, Bulmers, with King, class number 6000, King George V, in September, 1973. The photo’s helps to convey the size and power of the locomotive to perfection.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1