Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

The ICI train was empty Anhydrous Ammonia tanks from Leith to Haverton Hill. The train ran with barrier wagons at each end, and a brake van. The latter was provided so the guard didn't have to walk past the train, if required to place detonators to protect the rear in the event of a derailment.

Previous to air-braked stock being introduced, four-wheel tankers were used.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML going northwards from Newcastle, and, in particular, C9320, at Benton Quarry Junction, with 43114 leading an up HST, on the 15th February, 1988. I see the TGS is the sole remaining vehicle still in blue and grey.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Most of you will be thinking that I am posting later than usual because of the RMWeb upgrade.

I've only just found out about it - my reason is that I had to have a tooth extracted ths afternoon and it is only now that I feel like doing anything.

David

And you still post these pictures for us.

(Don't forget to put it under the pillow so the tooth fairy can replace it with sixpenny piece:jester:)

Thanks as always

EDIT

(J10023) Just noticed the ground signal on top of the loading platform, that's unusual.

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I am sure the extraction will soon ease up - I’ve had several over the years. Thank you for posting today’s photo’s despite the extraction and this forums upgrade. 
The photo’s of the line between Trent and Loughborough are fascinating, and in J10023, at Loughborough, with 43105 leading a HST from Nottingham to St Pancras, in June, 1989, shows that the smoke deflectors did not completely stop the cab end getting really quite dirty at times.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J10568 is interesting in that the DMU is numbered as Chester allocated. If correct, it would presumably have been requisitioned at Crewe for a Derby train and then continued on a Nottingham service.

In the same photo it looks like the Fat Controller as in Thomas not our fellow RMWebber in the cab next to the driver :-)

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Leeds photo’s from the 13th October, 1992. They are all full of interest, and bring many memories back. In the last photo’, the class 321 EMU, on a Doncaster to Leeds service, looks good in the cream and red livery. A shame they later lost that livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, russ p said:

Great pictures,  the railway then was modern and smart looks far more classy than the messy liveries and ugly trains of today 

I would agree with you if it wasn’t for that nodding donkey sneaking into C18106. Rather epitomised the lack of money to invest properly in new rolling stock for local services.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I would agree with you if it wasn’t for that nodding donkey sneaking into C18106. Rather epitomised the lack of money to invest properly in new rolling stock for local services.

But without them, there might not have been any local services.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like today’s set of photo’s of Carlisle from the late eighties, and the early nineties. They are all full of interest, and I particularly like C14056, of the preserved K4, 3442, The Great Marquess, with Ethel 3. on the 18th February, 1990. It makes a great sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

As featured on 'Vera'...

Are those the remains of the staithes in the first photo?

I think they are the right ones - there are still three cut down staithes at Blyth.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s from North Blyth which are, as always, so full of interest. The first one, at North Blyth, showing the remains of the staithes, in July, 1984, is most interesting, and reveals much about the design of them. It’s so helpful from a model making point of view. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1