Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Regarding the Freightliner working with vans at both ends; there was a time when there was a Harwich-Whitemoor working, which then went on to Scotland, which conveyed both Freightliner and 'normal' traffic. This was during one of the periods when both were under Railfreight Distribution.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s which all are of interest. In C3065, at Radcliffe on Trent, with a class 47 on a Harwich to Manchester service in October, 1976, the 47 looks most imposing from that ground level shot. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Barnetby photo’s from the 29th May, 1991. They are all of interest. The first one shows a good example of a one wagon train, with 47319 on a down working. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, talisman56 said:

C8618 - that young lad will be a workman when he grows up - he's getting the 'at rest' pose perfected nicely...

He's likely in his 40s now, so probably looking for a desk job if his back's owt like mine... ;)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s heading to Woodhorn. They are full of interest, and what a great van  to be seen in J9378, at Ashington, with Barclay, number 21201/208, in December, 1987. I’ve added onto the loco number what appears to be the extra number, unless I’m seeing things. The van is looking like a pre grouping example. NER? Number is possibly 9000 something 21. I can’t quite make out that fifth number.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s heading to Woodhorn. They are full of interest, and what a great van  to be seen in J9378, at Ashington, with Barclay, number 21201/208, in December, 1987. I’ve added onto the loco number what appears to be the extra number, unless I’m seeing things. The van is looking like a pre grouping example. NER? Number is possibly 9000 something 21. I can’t quite make out that fifth number.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Plant number 9300/21 the body was sent to Philadelphia later!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Plant number 9300/21 the body was sent to Philadelphia later!

• Thanks 1

J8070 is a mystery, because I had no idea steel trains appeared on the Nottingham - Grantham line. I assume 'down' on this line means heading west? I can't imagine where it might have originated. 

I don't have the relevant 1983 WTT, and if it is a special working for some reason or another it might not be in the main published table anyway. Can anyone shed any light on this, please? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

J8070 is a mystery, because I had no idea steel trains appeared on the Nottingham - Grantham line. I assume 'down' on this line means heading west? I can't imagine where it might have originated. 

I don't have the relevant 1983 WTT, and if it is a special working for some reason or another it might not be in the main published table anyway. Can anyone shed any light on this, please? 

I wondered about this too, wonder if they are imported coils from an east coast port?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

41 minutes ago, russ p said:

I wondered about this too, wonder if they are imported coils from an east coast port?

In this case down is heading west (as it was taken over by the Great Northern Railway), hence down from Kings Cross.

Steel trains did run from time to time, I think there are few photos earlier in the thread.

But I don't have any information about them.  Sadly the station was unstaffed at the time and there was no handy signal box to ask at.

David

Edited by DaveF

Thanks Dave. I wasn't living in Lincolnshire at the time but I do remember visiting my Dad and him telling me of unusual large freight trains passing the house from time to time, but I didn't take a great deal of notice. 

I gather Boston was used during various industrial disputes to bring imports into the UK which would have not been allowed at bigger ports elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks Dave. I wasn't living in Lincolnshire at the time but I do remember visiting my Dad and him telling me of unusual large freight trains passing the house from time to time, but I didn't take a great deal of notice. 

I gather Boston was used during various industrial disputes to bring imports into the UK which would have not been allowed at bigger ports elsewhere. 

Boston is still used for steel imports, there's a train most days, usually class 60 hauled.

I'm not sure how a Lackenby to Corby would get here, unless by a reversal at Grantham.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Chapel and Wakes Colne photo’s, from May, 1979,  which are fascinating. In particular, in J6458, the preserved N7, 999, was coming on nicely as it was being repainted into GER blue livery. A great sight in the photo’’ despite not being finished.

The Bottesford photo’s are all nostalgic, and all of interest, and in the first one, of a class 114 unit, on a Skegness to Nottingham service, in November, 1980, you can see the DMBS is in blue and grey with the DTCL in the refurbished white livery. I recall the transition to blue and grey from white taking quite some time, and you had mixed livery units, like that 114 often until all refurbished units had been repainted.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Could it have been as simple as a Lackenby - Corby working diverted for some reason, perhaps engineering work? Presumably these trains were running then.

The corby used BAAs these are vac brakes BCVs or BEVs cant work out how long they are 

• Thanks 1