Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Chevington photo’s. They are all full of interest, and I particularly like J10990, with an unidentified class 142, ‘Skipper’, on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service, in June, 1990. The Skippers also worked some of the services out of Hull.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

I take it that's the same field in those photos (pylons etc. seem to match) in which case February 1987 must've been very wet!

It is the same field and it was a very wet month according to my weather notes.

Northumberland is of course on the eastern side of the country but it can be very wet at times.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Ironbridge photo’s, from April, 1975, which are very interesting. The first two of Ironbridge, Blists Hill, inclined plane, capture well how it was having track relaid upon it.

The Newcastle photo’s are as interesting as ever, and capture the railway as it was prior to the electrification of the ECML. What a great scene in C15921, of an unidentified class 47, on an up mail train, on the 11th June, 1991. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Hi David,

Love the Ironbridge/Coalbrookdale pictures. The inclined plane is know as the Hay inclined plane, it's now part of the Blists Hill museum. 

I'm pretty sure J4243 is at the site of the old blast furnaces, in the grounds of what is now the Enginuity exhibition. If I'm right I believe my uncle (who's now in his 90's) used to get to drive it when he was a teenager. Kind of a cab ride on steroids I guess!

I really enjoy your pictures. Thanks for sharing,

John.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

What a wonderful selection today. With J4243 we have the prototype for everything, in that it has solid wheels.

J9553 is a great atmospheric image of a class 31 at Newcastle, seemingly on a very quiet afternoon.

C15942 was a surprise in that I didn't think the class 100s lasted that long. I had a check, and according to railcar.co.uk the last surviving car in revenue service was withdrawn in June 89. It was DMBS 53355 and was paired with a class 105 DMCL 53812. So I would question the date on that one. I thought you may have got the dates crossed over with the following image of The Stourton Saloon, but that went in May 90.

Thanks and regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

What a wonderful selection today. With J4243 we have the prototype for everything, in that it has solid wheels.

J9553 is a great atmospheric image of a class 31 at Newcastle, seemingly on a very quiet afternoon.

C15942 was a surprise in that I didn't think the class 100s lasted that long. I had a check, and according to railcar.co.uk the last surviving car in revenue service was withdrawn in June 89. It was DMBS 53355 and was paired with a class 105 DMCL 53812. So I would question the date on that one. I thought you may have got the dates crossed over with the following image of The Stourton Saloon, but that went in May 90.

Thanks and regards,

Dave

I was as mystified as you are by my photo of the Class 100 on 19th June 1991 at Newcastle.

According to my notes in my slide catalogue the date was a Wednesday that year, I took the photo at 18.15 with an exposure of 1/60 at f4.5, with a 35-105 zoom set at 35mm.

A little later that day I took photos at Tyne Yard (my image numbers C15943 onwards).

The photo just before it was taken in Northumberland on 15th June 1991.

So the date is right.

From the informationbelow this set survived until 1993.

I have just looked at Wikipedia and found this:

"Two sets entered departmental service: 51122 and 56300 became ADB975664 and ADB975637 for use as the "Stourton Saloon" – the Eastern Region General Manager's saloon – for which the class gained a small amount of "fame"; these were scrapped in 1990. The other pair were ADB975349 and ADB975539 (ex 51116 and 56101) and were used as the Eastern Region inspection saloon, until being scrapped in 1993. 56106 survived the longest time on the national network, being scrapped in 2000."    (My italics and bold)

Link to Wikipedia page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_100

Also from the railcar.co.uk site:  "DB 975349 / 539 outlasted the last service vehicles, based at Heaton and known as the 'York Saloon'. They were used for route learning and line inspections."

The link to the Class 100 pages on the railcar.co.uk site is:  https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-100/summary

So this unit must be ADB975349 and ADB975539 (ex 51116 and 56101).

I should add that I allocated my slides their numbers and wrote up my slide catalogues as the slides came back from processing, not at a later date, so the date must be correct.

I hope this solves the problem

Edit.

With regard to the Class 31.  At times Newcastle station could be very quiet when there were no ECML trains about.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Dalmeny photo’s from the 5th April, 1991. All are of interest, and most show the Forth Bridge as it towers over the station in the near distance. In C15721, with 20165, and 20138, on a short train of two carbon dioxide tanks, going down the line, you can see how they had weathered by that date. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I know Beverley all too well since it’s my hometown, so these photo’s are extra special. Little has changed since you took those photo’s, except on the Scarborough services it’s usually class  170’s rather than class 158’s these days. The clock, in the first photo’ is relatively recent, since it was part of the transformation that took place, in 1989, of the station  square. Details of that, and more photo’s can be found in my East Yorkshire photo’s thread. 
So good to see 08777 in the last photo’, on the 31st July, 1990. That was in the middle of quite a heatwave too. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DaveF said:

C5678

Freightliner etc - looks like a 4w AB van followed by a 5-set of freightliner flats but then what? A coach? A bogie van of some kind?

The freightliner brake vans had long gone out of use by 1982.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Freightliner etc - looks like a 4w AB van followed by a 5-set of freightliner flats but then what? A coach? A bogie van of some kind?

The freightliner brake vans had long gone out of use by 1982.

it's quite long, maybe a VTG bogie - dont know the full classification, the first wagon is a VAA/B

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

it's quite long, maybe a VTG bogie - dont know the full classification, the first wagon is a VAA/B

Maybe, but weren't those VTG bogie vans a light colour back then with prominent 'VTG" lettering? Zooming right in, there looks to be a white marking about 1/4 the way from the left. Dunno.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Maybe, but weren't those VTG bogie vans a light colour back then with prominent 'VTG" lettering? Zooming right in, there looks to be a white marking about 1/4 the way from the left. Dunno.

THere are three or four potential candidates:

VTG Bogie ferryvan F2

Cargowaggon 

Danzas

FS

All were finished in bare metal, with varying degrees of decoration. Blue srripes on VTG, yellow on Cargowagonn. Danzas had a short blue band with the company name. TBH, the wagon is so far away, it would be difficult to tell.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s from north and south of Newark. All are of interest, and in C5280, at Dry Doddington, with a class 254 HST, on an up express, in February, 1981, it can be seen that the catering on that train was provided by a TRUB, an additional TS making the unit up to eight cars.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I may be wrong, but hasn't that van got a gangway connection, and isn't that an old Autocoach tagged on the end?

Some form of freightliner train under test from Derby RTC perhaps?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

C5678 potentially an MOD movement? Barrier van plus a bogie vehicle on the rear for MOD police if the load was sensitive? Just a thought!  

Regards

Guy

Edited by balders
Rubbish typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s from north and south of Newark. All are of interest, and in C5280, at Dry Doddington, with a class 254 HST, on an up express, in February, 1981, it can be seen that the catering on that train was provided by a TRUB, an additional TS making the unit up to eight cars.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

In the early days of HSTs on the ECML, there were two different catering formations - TRUK/TRSB as shown in the 1979 photo and TRUB as in the 1981 photo.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2