Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s which are full of interest. It’s sad that photo’s are not allowed on the stations, but I suppose they can decide upon whatever rules they like. 
You have certainly taken a great series of photo’s bearing in mind the restriction that is in force, and I particularly like the last one of  the QE2 bridge, at Gateshead, in August, 1982. I do like the bridge, such a graceful design.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

I wonder why Metro has such a restrictive policy; Filming I can understand, and obviously using flash in tunnel sections is not on, but apart from that ? Much larger systems do not impose such onerous conditions !

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Talyllyn Railway photo’s which are all so delightful and nostalgic. What a beautiful scene in the last photo’, at Brynglas, in August, 1972, with number 6 Douglas, on a train of typical carriages for the railway as it runs through some really lovely countryside.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, caradoc said:

I wonder why Metro has such a restrictive policy; Filming I can understand, and obviously using flash in tunnel sections is not on, but apart from that ? Much larger systems do not impose such onerous conditions !

If you were running a service that makes Northern look good you would too!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

On 12/03/2020 at 14:42, DaveF said:

1254183723_DryDoddingtonClass254downMarch83J7822.jpg.e3e6d5359cf9a1449398d5f4ae312e12.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 254 down March 83 J7822.jpg

53005010_DryDoddingtonClass254upJune82J7653.jpg.6ed88fb4d1f15f3da9dd98078cd16443.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 254 up June 82 J7653.jpg

David

It is great that you photographed so many ECML HSTs during their early years, because it shows the formations with two catering coaches which were steadily replaced by just one. 

Thanks for adding to our historical knowledge, David. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Teesside photo’s which all show much of interest, and, as always, are now of historical interest. In C19428, at Grangetown Junction, with 56074, on an up coal train, on the 7th May, 1994, you can see how a weathered 56 really looked. Just right for weathering a model from.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Harrogate photo’s which are all of interest, and now a part of history. The class 144’s always looked their best in that red and cream livery. The last photo’, of 144008 on a Leeds to Knaresborough service, on the 10th April, 1990, is very well composed, and that unit is now a three car set, with the MS out of 144021, and currently in store.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

On the HST from Shenfield we had a pleasant trip round north London to get onto the ECML

Presumably into & through Stratford, then North London Line as far as Canonbury then turn right to join the ECML?

I don't suppose that was such rare track in 1979, although i'm not sure NLL trains went past Stratford.

That said, an HST at Shenfield was definitely unusual!

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

Presumably into & through Stratford, then North London Line as far as Canonbury then turn right to join the ECML?

I don't suppose that was such rare track in 1979, although i'm not sure NLL trains went past Stratford.

That said, an HST at Shenfield was definitely unusual!

You are right.

The previous week's trip would have been even better - an HST from Shoeburyness (LT&SR) to York and back.  I got a photo of it at Laindon just as the sun was rising.

The trips were run to publicise the then new HSTs.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great pictures of 'my' railway and 'my' units David, thanks.

Having used the walkway to the Exhibition Centre for last month's Model Rail Scotland, I can attest that it no longer looks anything like as clean, or as transparent !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the Glasgow Exhibition Station, which show plenty of interest in it’s cityscape. Always good to see the humble EMU’s going about their daily work, and the last photo’ of 314214, on the 26th February, 1994, is a good view, I like how that livery contrasts with the snow so well too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

I miss 303s, always had a soft spot for them.

The bridge over the expressway to the sec really is an eyesore nowadays and is an embarrassment considering how many visitors to events who aren't from Glasgow use it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

If I remember correctly the snow fell on the Sunday, one of the few times I have seen snow during Model Rail Scotland. 

Jim

Yes I was there too exhibiting and the snow wasn't a problem 'cause we know how to handle snow'. TFIC.

The other Dave F.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Cramlington today, with photos taken between May 1988 and May 1989.

Cramlington, as most of you know, is on the ECML between Newcastle and Morpeth.

1509468101_CramlingtonClass37downfreightMay88J9504.jpg.dbddba75af41993b9ba3cac6af232d08.jpg

Cramlington Class 37 down freight May 88 J9504.jpg

David

Must have been somewhat unpleasent if you were standing on the wrong platform as the dust came off the freight!

Very nice photo which should give some people some good ideas for weathering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Read on the BBC Glasgow website that the walkway to exhibition is to be cleaned and painted sometime this year but wont hold my breath .Will see next Feb when my annual pilgramage to Scotland is made ,have not converted anyone yet in twenty years1

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Read on the BBC Glasgow website that the walkway to exhibition is to be cleaned and painted sometime this year but wont hold my breath .Will see next Feb when my annual pilgramage to Scotland is made ,have not converted anyone yet in twenty years1

28 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Must have been somewhat unpleasent if you were standing on the wrong platform as the dust came off the freight!

Very nice photo which should give some people some good ideas for weathering.

The load was crushed magnesium limestone (Dolomite) from the Ferryhill area, bound for various locations around Scotland. The wagons in this photo are former Ferry Opens, built by BR to diagram 1/056. Some were cut down to 5-planks. Some of these wagons had previously been used for 'whiting' traffic from the Hull area.

The Dolomite traffic produced a wide variety of types, including PSA and PMA opens and 'Billy' Thompson's fleet of bogie side-tippers. At one time, bogie ore tipplers were used to carry it to Ravenscraig; this flow resulted in a passenger at Berwick demanding compensation after her fur coat was covered in the dust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3