Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

C1143 is a generator I think?

Dummy ETH recepticle in the wrong place for a generator. They had them on the buffer beam lower down.

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

Dummy ETH recepticle in the wrong place for a generator. They had them on the buffer beam lower down.

Dave

You know,, I was wary of posting that, I couldn't offhand remember which was which, but went SOB and got the latter!

Mike.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Hi Dave,

J4001 is not 55008. The nameplate is too high and has no crest. It’s a HA loco and the only one with single line of text to have lost it’s crest so early was 55013.

Brilliant, when I saw the photo I thought I bet there is a query over the identity!

Out of interest what gives away it was a HA loco?

Maybe David is just having fun and deliberately miss identifying the Deltics.

I'm always amazed at the people's ability to ID photos of Deltics.  Perhaps that's because 47s are my favourites and it's not always so easy to pick out which is which since there was more than 22 of them.  Mind you there was only 16 or possibly 17 47/7s, so I may have a fighting chance with them.

Keep up the good work David and the Deltic fans.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Morpeth photo’s which are all of interest and nostalgia. In J10062, with 31264 on a  Berwick to Newcastle service, in July, 1989, you have another good example of a Pacer replacement. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Morpeth photo’s which are all of interest and nostalgia. In J10062, with 31264 on a  Berwick to Newcastle service, in July, 1989, you have another good example of a Pacer replacement. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Probably better appreciated than the normal stock, I would have thought...

Regarding loco identification, having been brought up south of the river in the Capital, my ongoing 'expertise' is in SR and BR(S) loco/rolling stock identification. The discussions on the possible numbers of the Deltics, 47s et al and the reasoning thereby is a constant source of further education on matters outwith my original railway knowledge... Many thanks, chaps.

Edited by talisman56
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

Brilliant, when I saw the photo I thought I bet there is a query over the identity!

Out of interest what gives away it was a HA loco?

HA locos had Scottish regiment names on square-cornered nameplates with large letters. Originally they had crests above the names but many lost them in later years. GD engines had English regiment names on rounded-corner nameplates with letters in a different more curved font. FP racehorses had nameplates of the same design as the HA ones but obviously much shorter so easily distinguished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

HA locos had Scottish regiment names on square-cornered nameplates with large letters. Originally they had crests above the names but many lost them in later years. GD engines had English regiment names on rounded-corner nameplates with letters in a different more curved font. FP racehorses had nameplates of the same design as the HA ones but obviously much shorter so easily distinguished.

Thanks for that, was aware of the Scottish / English Regiment and Racehorse name difference but was unaware of the different style of nameplate or thought about the shortness of the racehorse nameplate.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

Thanks for that, was aware of the Scottish / English Regiment and Racehorse name difference but was unaware of the different style of nameplate or thought about the shortness of the racehorse nameplate.

The racehorses and the Scottish regiment plates were cast in aluminium, whilst the English regiment plates were cast in brass. I believe that the font used was Clarendon Bold, using a smaller font size for the English regiments. The plates were all cast at Glasgow Works, IIRC. Unusually, for the Deltics, the detail of this area of the locos is not very well documented anywhere.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s going north from Darlington along the ECML.  The first  photo’ of Darlington, with 47443 on a Liverpool to Newcastle service, on the 12th May, 1990, shows a purposeful get away from Darlington by the 47, and there’s some work being undertaken. I’m guessing it must have been something to do with the drainage of the track.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

J7281 The Class 47 has no ETH and is 47004. The BG is interesting in that it is branded Express Parcels, which is unusual to appear in a passenger train.

It wasn't alone..

When I enjoyed trains, even the odd "Duff" couldn't spoil the day - Take 92! 47278 Welwyn North 310581 (1S60)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Bottesford photo’s all of which are full of interest. In J7534, with a class 114 DMU on a Grantham to Derby service, in August, 1981, you can see that some of the roof ventilators are missing from the DMBS. I know that on these units some were missing in later years, especially after refurbishment.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the High Dyke branch photo’s which add more to the story of the failed preservation attempt. In, J3174, at Sewstern, with Bass Charrington, number 5, on a ballast train to Market Overton, in April, 1973, you have a lovely little engine hauling those wagons, which  shows preserved lines don’t always have to have passenger trains running. Freight and other trains make excellent subjects for the camera too, albeit they won’t bring in too much revenue.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lmsforever said:

What happened to the High Dyke  preservation project it would have been  a brilliant line .

It would not have been viable, especially in the economic circumstances at the time

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Cambois photo’s. They are all of interest, and nostalgia too. In C12009, 08512 and 08421, on the 29th June, 1989, look so natural as part of the overall background. More so than most road vehicles. A moody sky too, with perhaps a storm not far away.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, DaveF said:

It would not have been viable, especially in the economic circumstances at the time

David

I think there was a perception that a heritage line had to be in a tourist area to succeed, and indeed many of the successful ones are in such areas.  Even the SVR is well within daytrip range of the Birmingham/Wolverhampton conurbation and scenically attractive.  The GCR stands out as a mainline operation in not particularly scenic surroundings, showing that this aspect is not essential.  

The High Dyke operation was never going to be a large scale one, basically an industrial branch with no main line junction, but railways of this sort have proved successful, such as the Middleton, and Blaenafon and Pontypool, the latter associated with the popular Big Pit museum.  Nobody goes there for the scenery...

• Thanks 1