Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I think there was a perception that a heritage line had to be in a tourist area to succeed, and indeed many of the successful ones are in such areas.  Even the SVR is well within daytrip range of the Birmingham/Wolverhampton conurbation and scenically attractive.  The GCR stands out as a mainline operation in not particularly scenic surroundings, showing that this aspect is not essential.  

The High Dyke operation was never going to be a large scale one, basically an industrial branch with no main line junction, but railways of this sort have proved successful, such as the Middleton, and Blaenafon and Pontypool, the latter associated with the popular Big Pit museum.  Nobody goes there for the scenery...

Although the actual line was industrial it was also intended to have Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle based at Market Overton, with a connection to British Rail maintained at High Dyke.

When BR quoted a very high price for the connection to be retained plans were made to relay the ex Midland line to Saxby Junction to provide a connection.  Some tracklaying was done before the project was cancelled.

There were also plans for other attractions to be developed in the area over a period of time.

Dad managed the works at Sewstern (and the relevant ex ironstone lines) for the Buckminster Estate, who were the original landowners of the quarried land so he knew about the plans in detail.

David

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

As you say, not viable at the time, and a shame.

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

thought for a second it was a model.

I think that's one of Tomparryharry's Andrew Barclays in Melmerby's photo.  And he didn't get them from Hatton's...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, melmerby said:

What's wrong with the scenery?

Tin sheds, Pit head, stone buildings, locos and wagons.

What more do you want:jester:?

1280px-Big_Pit,_Blaenavon.jpg

Oh, and there's a nice bit of hillside in the background.

The Blaenavon that you're looking at is a heavily landscaped modern view. The ground level is some 15-20 feet higher than that, as it lines up with the tops of the furnaces Underneath ground level, are tuyeres, tunnels, walkways. and general detritus generated by 150 years of industry. From the photographers aspect, you can draw a direct line from pit top, straight through between the viewers feet, to the drift mine entrance 1/4 mile away. The 2 locomotives are Andrew Barclay 'Nora' from Big Pit, and the Hudswell Clarke No 10, which (I think), came from the Cambrian Colliery, and also Coedely. There is very little physical resemblance between the real Big Pit, and what you see today. Sure, you can go underground, but the entire area, and all of the exhibits, have been 'sanitised'. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Bowes Railway photo’s which are all full of interest. In C11740, at Blackhams Hill, with a rake of wagons at the top of the incline, on the 27th March, 1989, in the four foot of the adjacent track is a strange looking thing. I wonder what is was.

The Edinburgh Princes Street Gardens photo’s, from August, 1987, are as full of interest and charm as ever. In the first one, with 47651, on a Perth to Edinburgh service, the formation is most interesting. Two Mk1 BG’s followed by an air con TSO, then three air con FO’s, and a Mk1 BG again. Indeed, that seems a quite unusual train, and I wonder if it might be an ECS working?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Bowes Railway photo’s which are all full of interest. In C11740, at Blackhams Hill, with a rake of wagons at the top of the incline, on the 27th March, 1989, in the four foot of the adjacent track is a strange looking thing. I wonder what is was.

The Edinburgh Princes Street Gardens photo’s, from August, 1987, are as full of interest and charm as ever. In the first one, with 47651, on a Perth to Edinburgh service, the formation is most interesting. Two Mk1 BG’s followed by an air con TSO, then three air con FO’s, and a Mk1 BG again. Indeed, that seems a quite unusual train, and I wonder if it might be an ECS working?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think the structure in C11740 on the Bowes Railway may have been designed to deflect the rope as it is detached from wagons but cannot be sure.

Although I saw the incline working I cannot remember the details.

The Edinburgh photo could have been empty stock, but it was taken at about the time there should have been a train from Perth.  The formation has always looked odd to me.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Market65 said:

The Edinburgh Princes Street Gardens photo’s, from August, 1987, are as full of interest and charm as ever. In the first one, with 47651, on a Perth to Edinburgh service, the formation is most interesting. Two Mk1 BG’s followed by an air con TSO, then three air con FO’s, and a Mk1 BG again. 

There’s a GUV there too and all 4 coaches are first class. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think the structure in C11740 on the Bowes Railway may have been designed to deflect the rope as it is detached from wagons but cannot be sure.

Although I saw the incline working I cannot remember the details.

The Edinburgh photo could have been empty stock, but it was taken at about the time there should have been a train from Perth.  The formation has always looked odd to me.

David

That's correct David, have a look at this fabulous film of the operation shot in 1975, there's a brief clip at approx 21 minutes showing how it works. Worth watching the whole film though.

Douglas

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Tyne And Wear Metro photo’s. All are of interest and nostalgia. The first two show interesting aspects of the Ouseburn Viaduct. An impressive structure for a relatively modern design which contrasts well wuth the much older viaducts. In J7779, of the Howdon viaduct, with a Metro running over it, in December, 1982, you have a great photo’ which shows the viaduct off perfectly, as it crosses wasteland along with industrial buildings.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/04/2020 at 09:00, drjcontroller said:

That's correct David, have a look at this fabulous film of the operation shot in 1975, there's a brief clip at approx 21 minutes showing how it works. Worth watching the whole film though.

7 minutes in, the chap dancing along the track with a big stick and then manhandling the cable over whilst the wagons are dropping down the incline.   How life has changed, this was only 1975 and probably a practice that had existed 100 years.

Not to mention the age of some of the men chasing the wagons and pinning them down.

It's such a different world to now.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest York photo’s which are so interesting and full of nostalgia. In J9074, with 47363 on an up ICI tanker train, in July p, 1987, you can see very clearly just how the trackwork has been simplified from the date of the photo’, and, of course, the scene is now complicated by the OHLE. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Love the recent Tyne & Wear Metro photos. I just think the original livery suits those Metrocars so much better than recent attempts

Indeed - Four Lane Ends will always have a place in my heart :wub::heart_mini::D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seahorse said:

Hi - ref 9074 at York - baseboards are for track, and scenery goes on the bits where you can't sensibly put more track!

A good B&B just to the right of the Church

regards

Peter

Got my car stickered for parking down beside that chirch one, it was a devil to get off

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML north from Darlington. All are of interest, and how things have changed. In the first one at Darlington, C14456,  the class 142, 142050, on a Bishop Auckland to Saltburn service, on the 12th May, 1990, is now just a memory, no longer being in service. Indeed no 142’s will be seen at Darlington anymore, so thank goodness for these photo’s which are of the greatest of value.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an HST as dirty as in C8208!!

More excellent pictures, thank you.

Rich.

Looks like it’s just come off shift down t’pit. 

• Thanks 1