Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Back in Raitrack days, I used to travel back home from York to Selby with my boss (he carried on to Hull). IIRC we caught the 17.08 which came from Newcastle (2N76?), via Sunderland & Middlesbrough - may even had originated in Carlisle. It was very often a Pacer. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Bottesford photo’s which are all of interest. The last one, from November, 1983, shows that the track renewal was progressing well from the previous photo’s of it. I can see some of the wagons etc., in the distance on the track being relayed. Impossible to say which ones though, at that distance.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

The bridge in the background of J7801 shows a painted on 'sighting board' for the signals which were obviously in front of it, removed when colour lights were installed and controlled from Bottesford west. I'd guess that they would have been distant signals for Belvoir junction. There are others about but darned if I can remember where now.

In the 37 years since the photo was taken, much growth of greenery has taken place but the paint is still there although not as bright obviously. The signal at the platform end in J8095 has been replaced and control transferred to EMICC at Derby, perhaps slightly ironically using GN as prefix for Grantham-Netherfield route which probably foretells the eventual plan when the rest of the Skegness branch is resignalled. Who knows when that is likely to be though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I always thought that those Mk2's in transpennie livery looked really smart. Can it really be that long ago though?

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, uax6 said:

I always thought that those Mk2's in transpennie livery looked really smart. Can it really be that long ago though?

Andy G

It certainly was that long ago Andy,  I remember seeing him them been hauled by 45s

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the York photo’s which are all so full of interest and nostalgia. The first photo’ from August, 1965, shows excellent detail of that NER water crane. And the last photo’, on the 17th June, 1994, with an unidentified class 158 on a service to Scarborough, the banners, in the background, say about ‘The New National Railway Museum’. But, of course, it opened in September, 1975, so I’m unsure what those banners are meaning. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the York photo’s which are all so full of interest and nostalgia. The first photo’ from August, 1965, shows excellent detail of that NER water crane. And the last photo’, on the 17th June, 1994, with an unidentified class 158 on a service to Scarborough, the banners, in the background, say about ‘The New National Railway Museum’. But, of course, it opened in September, 1975, so I’m unsure what those banners are meaning. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It's had me puzzled too.  I didn't record it in my notes on the day.

David

• RMweb Gold

Concerns about the condition of the concrete roof structure on the main building brought forward major changes to the museum in 1990. To maintain a presence at York, the former York goods depot across Leeman Road, already in use as a museum store (the Peter Allen Building), was configured to display trains as if in a passenger station, and this together with the adjacent South Yard was marketed as The Great Railway Show.[60] A further selection of exhibits formed the National Railway Museum on Tour on display for a season in the former Swindon Works.[61]

Meanwhile, the main building was completely re-roofed and reconstructed retaining only one of the two original 1954 turntables.[62][63]

It was reopened on 16 April 1992 by Prince Edward, Duke of Kent as the Great Hall giving enhanced opportunities to display large artifacts such as railway signals, a footbridge from Percy Main station and a segment from the Channel Tunnel.[64] The former goods shed display was retained as the Station Hall.

From the wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Railway_Museum#Growth_1975–2000

Edited by beast66606
added link to post
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

Afraid so, that was my 18th birthday.....I seem to remember that I had other things on my mind that day other than trains !  :mocking_mini:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Midland Railway Trust photo’s. All are full of interest, and those first two do indeed show the problems associated with reproducing colours. I’m just not sure which of the first two photo’s are right, but maybe the second one taken by your Dad is a bit nearer to the actual red - that’s going by the colour of the trees.
In J6083, that’s a fine portrait shot of 4F 44027, in May, 1978, and no colour worries there.

The photo’s from between Newcastle and Hartlepool are of interest, and show how things have changed over the years. C09607, at Bolden Colliery Brockley Whins, with a typically worn looking class 101 DMU with car 53141 on a Sunderland to Newcastle service, on the 16th July, 1988, also shows a fairly crude plating over of the central lower marker light, which adds to the careworn appearance of that cab end.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2020 at 10:58, DaveF said:

For this morning's batch of photos we travel to Butterley to look at the Midland Railway Trust with photos from 1978, 1983 and 1989.

I can very clearly remember the visit in 1978 when the Midland "Spinner" was in steam.

Two photos of the 3FT in crimson lake are to illustrate the probelms of colour rendering.  One was taken by Dad and one by me, both on Agfa slide film and both using a Canon AE1.  So the colours should be the same - but they aren't.  Even before I scanned them the colours looked different.  They were taken not all that long apart, so the light was not different.

128947785_Butterley1644027thMay78C3840.jpg.4182f152da08e61b9bbaafe31b595b13.jpg

Butterley 16440 27th May 78 C3840.jpg

1432413912_Butterley3FT16440May78J6099.jpg.58150fa218cb254482d859d4f2e79828.jpg

Butterley 3FT 16440 May 78 J6099.jpg

1562811705_Butterley67327thMay78C3854.jpg.adad054900798d34e3c78d9f386c1344.jpg

Butterley 673 27th May 78 C3854.jpg

323888520_Butterley4F44027May78J6083.jpg.f3db2d696f8ec4234a603a9381e97786.jpg

Butterley 4F 44027 May 78 J6083

1426219923_ButterleyD4Aug83J8048.jpg.bea6a3f054ebeb25c9c642b692b38acc.jpg

Butterley D4 Aug 83 J8048

1996163923_Butterley48151HammersmithtoIronville11thJune89C12041.jpg.16bf4e1e425f81c042c397c252d92241.jpg

Butterley 48151 Hammersmith to Ironville11th June 89 C12041.jpg

David

But the light is different, look at the shadow the coach casts on the loco's bunker.  The sun has moved behind the camera positions to the left, and probably over an hour or so, and the colour cast is warmer in the first shot. as shown by the platform edging and the rubble surface.  Not only is the sun in a different bit of the sky, and at a different angle above the horizon, but we do not know what clouds or smoke might have been affecting it in the photos.  Add to that that the different camera settings, shown by the DOF differences, meaning that shutter speed, apeture, or both were different.  If the camera was on 'Auto', which was an option on many SLR powered lens 35mm cameras in the 80s, you would not necessarily be aware of it unless you were monitoring and making notes.

And the angle is different, the first shot being more square to the loco and the second more 'sun over your shoulder'.  This means that the amount of red in the frame is different, as are the reflections off the tank and bunker sides, and the camera's AE will interpret the exposure differently.  It is in fact a very good illustration of why outdoor colour photography, whatever the lighting conditions, is a poor guide when it comes to matching colours for modelling.  

There is also the perception difference in the size of the block of colour 'presented' to your eyes as a proportion of your field of vision.  I think it was David Jenkinson who, some decades ago now, colour matched a sample of crimson lake loco paint from Derby works, as close to the original colour as possible because it was the actual  original colour, on a Duchess he was building, to finish up with a model that had to be repainted because the colour looked too bright.  

Add to that the fact that the majority of layouts are viewed under artificial lighting, even though the colour temperature of this is much more controllable these days, and one begins to to appreciate the difficulty of reproducing liveries correctly in 1:76.  It's an easy, but in my view pointless, thing to become obsessed about.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Scottish photo’s which all are of interest. In C14005, at Prestwick, with 318268 and 318261, on an Ayr to Glasgow Central service on the 18th February, 1990, I see both headlights and marker lights are lit up. I thought, it was either day or night running. Perhaps a fault had developed.....

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2020 at 19:23, great central said:

The bridge in the background of J7801 shows a painted on 'sighting board' for the signals which were obviously in front of it, removed when colour lights were installed and controlled from Bottesford west. I'd guess that they would have been distant signals for Belvoir junction. There are others about but darned if I can remember where now.

In the 37 years since the photo was taken, much growth of greenery has taken place but the paint is still there although not as bright obviously. The signal at the platform end in J8095 has been replaced and control transferred to EMICC at Derby, perhaps slightly ironically using GN as prefix for Grantham-Netherfield route which probably foretells the eventual plan when the rest of the Skegness branch is resignalled. Who knows when that is likely to be though

Photo of said bridge taken today from the back cab of the 12.15 Skegness-Nottingham.

IMG_20200505_135755159.jpg.6451ca2c044a6d9c0d9475361217205f.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest photo’s from Cramlington, on the ECML. They are all of interest, and in the last photo’, C18198, with 153319, on a Newcastle to Morpeth service, on the 24th December, 1992,  you can see clearly the effect of the super elevated track, with the 153 looking as if it is leaning right over onto the side of the bridge - which it is not really doing.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

153319 seems to be something of a regular in your photos David, only chimes with me because it's now an EMR vehicle, well I think it still is!

We don't see many 153s about at the moment. One of the few booked workings is a Worksop service in the morning attached to a 156 or 158.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, great central said:

153319 seems to be something of a regular in your photos David, only chimes with me because it's now an EMR vehicle, well I think it still is!

We don't see many 153s about at the moment. One of the few booked workings is a Worksop service in the morning attached to a 156 or 158.

I believe it was one of the "local" ones for some time.

David

2 hours ago, great central said:

I believe that EMR have placed 14 of their 153s in warm store at Barrow Hill, as a result of the current "inconvenience". I read that there are only three at Nottingham Eastcroft at the present time, one of which is 153 319.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1