Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

5 hours ago, 35A said:

I believe that EMR have placed 14 of their 153s in warm store at Barrow Hill, as a result of the current "inconvenience". I read that there are only three at Nottingham Eastcroft at the present time, one of which is 153 319.

Thanks for that, I only tend to see what's about when I get into Nottingham in the morning. Knowing we're running a reduced service for the time being it makes sense to put them out of the way for now.

• Thanks 1

Most likely that's a TRSB (nearer) and TRUK (further) combination. Normally they'd be the other way round (Kitchen by the Firsts) with one of the Seconds between the two:

43-TF-TF-TRUK-TS-TRSB-TS-TS-TS-43

No TGS yet.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Thanks 1

J5871 - Probably not a Cl.127, which were St Pancras-Bedford red triangle units I thought.

Railcar.co.uk shows some 116s allocated to Finsbury Park until Feb 1978 when electrification took hold: https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-116/operations

Edit: and Cl.125s until Jan 1977

https://www.railcar.co.uk/depot/finsbury-park

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

J5871 - Probably not a Cl.127, which were St Pancras-Bedford red triangle units I thought.

Railcar.co.uk shows some 116s allocated to Finsbury Park until Feb 1978 when electrification took hold: https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-116/operations

Edit: and Cl.125s until Jan 1977

https://www.railcar.co.uk/depot/finsbury-park

Many thanks.

I still can't identify dmus after several years of posting my photos in this thread!

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s which are all of interest and nostalgia. J5871 is one of the two character headcode box class 116 units that were allocated, as stated in eastwestdivide’s post, to Finsbury Park at the date of the photo’. In the last photo’, at Retford, with class 40, 277, on a down parcels train, in September, 1969, you have a typical train which, apart from the change from steam to diesel and the blue livery had not changed since steam days. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Most likely that's a TRSB (nearer) and TRUK (further) combination. Normally they'd be the other way round (Kitchen by the Firsts) with one of the Seconds between the two:

43-TF-TF-TRUK-TS-TRSB-TS-TS-TS-43

No TGS yet.

Usual formation (before the TGS appeared) was TF TF TRUK TS TS TRSB TS TS. By 1980, the 

TRUK and TRSB began to be marshalled together in the centre of the train as in the photo.

Looks like the TRUK is correctly positioned by the TFs in the photo; it has more roof vents over the kitchen end. The TRUK was almost invariably next to the TFs.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, DaveF said:

25963344_RetfordClass40277downparcelsSept69J1994.jpg.bec947f8360f53f9b86a8ccc4e6b1834.jpg

Retford Class 40 277 down parcels Sept 69 J1994.jpg

I didn't realise any of those LMS BGs got painted blue/grey quite that early. Explains why some retained gangway connections whilst in blue/grey.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

I didn't realise any of those LMS BGs got painted blue/grey quite that early. Explains why some retained gangway connections whilst in blue/grey.

I wonder when the last time a pre nationalisation BG was used on a passenger service as a BG rather than a van on a parcels service 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Usual formation (before the TGS appeared) was TF TF TRUK TS TS TRSB TS TS. By 1980, the 

TRUK and TRSB began to be marshalled together in the centre of the train as in the photo.

Looks like the TRUK is correctly positioned by the TFs in the photo; it has more roof vents over the kitchen end. The TRUK was almost invariably next to the TFs.

Are you sure that's the TRUK next to the Firsts as it appears to have the word 'Buffet' on the side? (I must admit I initially thought it was the TRUK by reason of being next to the Firsts).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

I wonder when the last time a pre nationalisation BG was used on a passenger service as a BG rather than a van on a parcels service 

Talking specifically of the LMS BG as we are currently, bear in mind that some were built by BR, so pedantically not pre-nationalisation.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Are you sure that's the TRUK next to the Firsts as it appears to have the word 'Buffet' on the side? (I must admit I initially thought it was the TRUK by reason of being next to the Firsts).

Look at the roof vents Bernard; they're different on both the catering vehicles. I'd put money it's a TRUK next to the TFs.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely a TRUK next to the firsts - with the 4 large saloon windows on the left, the half-height 'corridor' windows are opaque. On the TRSB (and TRUB) these are normal glazed as they are at the buffet counter.

The TRUK was branded 'Restaurant 125' (centre of coach on this side) - it actually looks like the TRSB is unbranded, these would usually be 'Buffet-Bar125' (at the left-hand end as we look at it)

EDIT: zooming in on the pic, there is branding on the TRSB

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

C18113 is possibly the short lived flow from Ravenscraig to Llanwern clearing the stocks of unused iron ore after Ravencraig closed.  I remember visiting "The Sidings" at Thirsk and winning a drink from the owner for identifying the working at that time!

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J9331 - is it the Doncaster Works test train?  It looks more like a train of coaches with the windows blanked out (apart from the first one) than parcels vans to me.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 31A said:

J9331 - is it the Doncaster Works test train?  It looks more like a train of coaches with the windows blanked out (apart from the first one) than parcels vans to me.

I agree. As soon as I saw those coaches and unusually clean 31, I thought the same. Doncaster-Newcastle and return was a common trip for ex-works locos. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 31A said:

Most definitely, an ex works 31 at the head.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 31A said:

I think you are right, I've altered the caption.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML at Plawsworth. They all are of interest, and in J9331, with an unidentifiable 31 on an up test train, in October, 1987, the 31 certainly looks most clean and tidy compared to one that’s seen a week or two in traffic. And in J9341, with a class 254 HST on a Kings Cross to Newcastle express, in October, 1987, you can see a typical mix of liveries with the class 43 powers cars in the Inter City livery, with the Mklll trailers still in blue/grey. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s which are all full of interest. The first one, of Cotgrave branch viaduct shows, again, what a most remarkable structure it was. And in C11979, the unit working the Derby to Grantham service, on the 9th June, 1989, is actually one of the former four character headcode box class 111 DMU’s, with Rolls Royce engines. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1