Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

In C11979 two of the lads have got bmx bikes which would have been the “in thing” back then. Their companion has settled for the more conventional racing bike.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures,, I always think the viaduct looks like an improbable model railway using triang high level piers with a junction on a viaduct 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

In C11979 two of the lads have got bmx bikes which would have been the “in thing” back then. Their companion has settled for the more conventional racing bike.

I think the bmx style bikes may be Raleigh Burners or Mini Burners.

//Simon 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/05/2020 at 21:46, russ p said:

I wonder when the last time a pre nationalisation BG was used on a passenger service as a BG rather than a van on a parcels service 

Probably 1969 when the single manning agreement allowed guards to travel in the rear cab of the loco.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Take that photo today and you'd probably get arrested :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are all full of interest. In C16593, at Denton School level crossing, on the 22nd October, 1991, you can see how the distant signal on the right is off, indicating that the box controlling it will have been switched out, thus making one long section between the boxes either side of it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 07/05/2020 at 14:32, DaveF said:

Plawsworth, on the ECML in County Durham today.

Four of the photos are from visits in October 1987 and one from October 1992.

1275131773_Plawsworth0732tamperliner26thOct87C9190.jpg.c455aae9c6d96f92430b212a798e67a7.jpg

Plawsworth 07 32 tamper liner 26th Oct 87 C9190.jpg

David

Looks like this tamper has been dumped in the corner of a field...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2020 at 19:11, Market65 said:

In C16593, at Denton School level crossing, on the 22nd October, 1991, you can see how the distant signal on the right is off, indicating that the box controlling it will have been switched out, thus making one long section between the boxes either side of it.

That may be the case but it’s not necessarily true; the distant could be off for the usual reason that distant signals are off. The crossing is an automatic half barrier type so the protecting signals can be off even with the barriers raised. An approaching train will start the barrier lowering sequence once it passes over the associated treadles. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the NYMR photo’s which bring back plenty of happy memories. In C11928, near Levisham, with S15 841, on the 31st May, 1989, you can see how the railway winds it’s way through some really beautiful scenery. I hope to get back there once we end the lockdown - presumably next year. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant pictures again David.  I believe Mallard was been driven by thornaby driver Harry Clarke that day who is long retired and 91 now , went to visit him last year and still full of beans 

The 143 at Grosmont looks like Stan Cartwright who was always immaculately dressed who sadly died last year , two of thornabys finest in one post! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

979676126_GrosmontPeckettAug75C2228.jpg.1f812f10ac0eea2ca4bc51dcb86cb742.jpg

Grosmont Peckett Aug 75 C2228.jpg

David

this is more likely Hudswell Clarke "Mirvale" was on the NYMR from '68 to '86 and moved to Middleton and is still there

Edited by sir douglas
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s as you journey from Newcastle to Grosmont. All are of interest, and in C09606, at Boldon Colliery Brockley Whins, with a class 101 two car DMU on a Sunderland to Newcastle service, on the 16th July, 1988, you can see not just the different livery application between the two cars, but also that the destination blind has got all screwed up too. It’s difficult, if not impossible, to read it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I the ECML photo’s at Dudley which are all of interest. In the first photo’, C5907, at Dudley foot crossing, with a class 43 power car leading a HST on a Kings Cross to Edinburgh service in December, 1982, you have captured a most dramatic image of the train, and it is not often you see a train looking as stunning as that one. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1