Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 62613 said:

C3532: You don't often see outside link motion.

Another well known one:

Haydock-Foundry-Bellerophon-at-Steamtown

Or with cranks instead of eccentrics:

800px-Black_5_44767_-_George_Stevenson_a

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Nene Valley Railway photo’s which are all of interest, and show how they built up a good selection of foreign engines and rolling stock. That is especially shown, to good advantage in J7515, at Wansford, with SJ class S, number 1178, in June, 1981. A particularly good photo’.

The ECML photo’s at Damdykes are full of fascination and nostalgia, and in the first one, with 43152 leading an up HST on the 9th February, 1991, you get a good sense of just how bitterly cold and snowy it was that winter, with the way the HST is disturbing the snow and blowing it away behind it. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DaveF said:

A few photos from visits to the Nene Valley Railway for this morning.

769459069_OrtonMere70000May81J7368.jpg.40e6afbb1514040a91aaa4bb5906ed43.jpg

Orton Mere 70000 May 81 J7368.jpg

Wow, a photo of me while firing Britannia, shame I'm looking the wrong way although it is the right way.:danced:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Market65 said:

The ECML photo’s at Damdykes are full of fascination and nostalgia, and in the first one, with 43152 leading an up HST on the 9th February, 1991, you get a good sense of just how bitterly cold and snowy it was that winter, with the way the HST is disturbing the snow and blowing it away behind it. 

That was the winter of "the wrong sort of snow" wasn't it?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That was the winter of "the wrong sort of snow" wasn't it?

Attributed to Terry Worrall, Director of Operations, I think. For someone who'd started his career selling tickets at Kentish Town he'd done quite well. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Attributed to Terry Worrall, Director of Operations, I think. For someone who'd started his career selling tickets at Kentish Town he'd done quite well. 

He interviewed my wife, before she started at Halcrow-Transmark. A colleague at Eurotunnel, who had worked alongside him, advised her not to mention snow during the interview; however, on being invited into his office, she was somewhat taken aback to find press cuttings about the white stuff all over the walls!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

On 30/05/2020 at 14:22, DaveF said:

Once again I'm posting  a little bit early this afternoon with some photos taken at Newcastle.

One is from 1987, the others are from July 1988.

697472111_Newcastle43066KingsXtoAberdeenJuly88J9602.jpg.0fa59ff6656c405ba9b9a40966e81c2f.jpg

Newcastle 43066 Kings X to Aberdeen July 88 J9602.jpg

David

Can't find a '3' to stick on the front of your loco? Cut an '8' in half...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Attributed to Terry Worrall, Director of Operations, I think.  

Yes indeed.  According to "Storm, Flood and Tempest" by P.J.G. Ransom (page 46), this comes from an interview he gave on Radio 4's Today programme when he explained that it "was not the volume of snow that was causing the problem, but the type of snow."  Ransome goes on to say: 'This was picked up by the Evening Standard.  On 11th February, spread across the width of its front page, was the heading: 'BR warning as it blames "the wrong type of snow" '.  Yet although Worrall was quoted in the story which followed, nowhere in it was the word 'wrong' attributed to him or to BR.  It appears to be journalistic licence.

But the damage was done.  Somehow the word 'type' became transformed into 'kind', and, as BR's supposed excuse, the phrase 'the wrong kind of snow' gained instant notoriety - it was quoted almost immediately in Parliament - and the industry has been pilloried for it ever since'

Chris Turnbull 

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Interesting to see that the Met-Camm is running as two DMBS coupled back to back...

Andy G

At that time, it was a case of using whatever stock was available, IIRC, due to problems with the new-generation stock that was being introduced.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Riding Mill photo’s which are all full of interest. In C17955, with class 142, 142519, on a Newcastle to Hexham service, on the 26th August, 1992, you can see how the paint has worn away, in some way, from the area above the cab windows. It looks quite tatty in that state.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Riding Mill photo’s which are all full of interest. In C17955, with class 142, 142519, on a Newcastle to Hexham service, on the 26th August, 1992, you can see how the paint has worn away, in some way, from the area above the cab windows. It looks quite tatty in that state.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

You can also see how excited Darby and Joan are at the prospect of riding in it...

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You can also see how excited Darby and Joan are at the prospect of riding in it...

“Shall we wait for the next one, Luv? It might be 47575 on those Mk2s again.”

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

C11827 - I saw one of those while I was on a train heading the other way once, and announced to everyone and no-one in particular "oh look, a tube train". Nobody laughed.

Well, let me be the first then :laugh_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Scottish photo’s, which are all full of interest. In, C14016, at Kirkconnel, with 47422, on a Edinburgh and Glasgow to Birmingham service, on the 18th February, 1990, the signal for a train in the opposite direction is certainly off! A very clear indication indeed. Certainly much better than half on, half off.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

c11827, are those BDWs? The vac braked air piped bogie bolster wagons being used for the pipes/tubes? Cannot remember if they were still in use that late, but one of their last uses was pipes like that, and I cannot see any air brake cylinders under the centre of the wagon. Pity it is not possible to make out the bogies they are fitted with.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

c11827, are those BDWs? The vac braked air piped bogie bolster wagons being used for the pipes/tubes? Cannot remember if they were still in use that late, but one of their last uses was pipes like that, and I cannot see any air brake cylinders under the centre of the wagon. Pity it is not possible to make out the bogies they are fitted with.

I reckon Diag. 1/472 which had Davis and Lloyd bogies and vac cylinders in the outer ends of the trussing, leaving the centre section clear as in the photo. The Diag 1/484s which had the similar looking Gloucester bogies had vac cylinders in the centre section of trussing. Both were roller bearing fitted and thus could have yellow axlebox covers.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clagsniffer said:

Nice short train in C12159 that could easily be recreated on layouts. What was the normal consist for this train? 

Thanks, as always, for posting.

It was usually a 2 car dmu but they were in very short supply at the time so loco hauled trains werer un instead.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures again David 

Am I right in thinking there is only one set of boom gates as shown in 10064 left on the network. 

They were quite common on the former NE region including some hand worked ones on the redmire branch  and elsewhere. 

I believe the only set away from this region were a long gone set at Parkeston.

Has anyone ever modeled any?

• Thanks 1