Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

@Waverley West have you seen these?

Yes, absolutely fantastic reference photos for me, especially the Princes St Gardens ones, as I'm about to refresh the gardens section on the layout, so these will be invaluable reference photos.

I recently searched this thread for all the other photos of relevance to WW (again) too and came up with some more brilliant ones. The whole thread is fantastic and fascinating, so a huge thanks once again to DaveF for posting them and keeping it going. 

Oh and just one more thing... more please! :D :D :D

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I love the East Yorkshire photo’s, which are full of local interest, and compliment my East Yorkshire thread perfectly. I cannot help noticing at Beverley station in DSC_7356, with class 158, 158860, on a service to Scarborough, on the 20th October, 2009, that the platform you were standing on is now off limits and has anti personal boarding in place. Times have certainly changed in a relatively short space of time.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I'm liking the superelevated 'leaning to the curve' effect.

We used to change ends there was difficult if you drew too far down with a drivers bag

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Consider yourselves fortunate that you never had to cope with K2 difficulty of a Western with such an overhang!  Once you'd climbed the impossible north face, you then had to squeeze into a narrow door and negotiate a cramped multiple level system of vestibule corridors and another narrow door to access the cab.  I doubt such a design would pass the safety regulations for new locos nowadays! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Teesside photo’s which are all of interest. The first photo’, at Thornaby, with 47213, on a light engine movement, on the 12th May, 1990, is a great portrait of the 47.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the ECML photo’s at Swayfield. All are of interest, and full of nostalgia. In J3435, with an unidentifiable class 47 on an up express in October, 1973, you can see that it is hauling a good mixture of Mkll stock. Also a Mkl buffet or restaurant car and a BG. Indeed, that formation would make a great model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty certain that the unidentified 'Deltic' in J3129 is 9010.

It's a Haymarket loco and can only one of four (double line plate). It's unlikely to be 9006, which was in works for the last 3 weeks of the month. It's definitely not 9019, the pattern of the lettering on the plate is wrong. Therefore it's either 9010 or 9021 - the plate looks too small for the latter, the pattern of the lettering looks right for 9010 and (from what can be made out at maximum zoom) the last digit of the number looks to be rounded.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the ECML photo’s at Swayfield. All are of interest, and full of nostalgia. In J3435, with an unidentifiable class 47 on an up express in October, 1973, you can see that it is hauling a good mixture of Mkll stock. Also a Mkl buffet or restaurant car and a BG. Indeed, that formation would make a great model.

Looks like a Mk2A TSO, Mk2D BFK, Mk2D TSO, Mk2A TSO, Mk2D TSO, Mk2A/B FK, Mk2D TSO then a Mk1 catering vehicle, another Mk2A TSO?, Mk2D TSO, Mk2A/B brake vehicle and finally a Mk1 BG. Quite some formation there, so is it a set that usually does two services like Leeds/Bradford and Hull, because 1A26 was from York, in 1980 at least....

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Using the Timetables section at napier-chronichles:

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/report.htm

J2954 - there aren't any other Up trains ending in '17', so 1E17 10.35 Aberdeen-KX 'The Aberdonian' (10.00 on Sundays)

J3129 - 1E01 08.00 Edinburgh-KX (from 1969 Up Scottish expresses to KX were 1Exx, those starting in England were 1Axx)

J3435 - 1A26 13.55 Leeds-KX [13.17 from Hull] (13.50 from Leeds on Sundays)

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, keefer said:

Using the Timetables section at napier-chronichles:

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/report.htm

J2954 - there aren't any other Up trains ending in '17', so 1E17 10.35 Aberdeen-KX 'The Aberdonian' (10.00 on Sundays)

J3129 - 1E01 08.00 Edinburgh-KX (from 1969 Up Scottish expresses to KX were 1Exx, those starting in England were 1Axx)

J3435 - 1A26 13.55 Leeds-KX [13.17 from Hull] (13.50 from Leeds on Sundays)

Thank you very much for looking these up for me.  I've added the details to the captions.

I am hoping that soon I'll be have time to look up extra details myself as it seems that I may have a little more free time soon.

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s which are all full of interest. In J9379, at Ashington, with a Hunslet  locomotive, in December, 1987, I’m wondering how far back in time the Weights Van goes in the left of the photo’. It could be ex- NBR could it? It looks as if it could be with the crossed bracing each side of the door, and no tie bars. It is also quite low in height too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Crich Tramway Museum photo’s from 1989 and 1990. They show what a tremendous job all concerned with the museum have done, and I know are continuing to do, to help preserve the vintage tramcars. In C12054, the Prague single deck car, number 180, as on the 11th June, 1989, makes a fine sight, especially being a single decker compared with most of the other double deck trams.

The Low Fell photo’s show much of interest, and in the first photo’, with 43058 at the rear of a Kings Cross to Aberdeen service, in August, 1987, it’s hardly possible to make out the rear tail lights owing to a combination of shadows and what may well be some weathering. They are faintly visible on greatly enlarging the photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert text.
  • Thanks 1

Always enjoyed my visits to Crich  from when it started its great to travel by tram as it bangs and crashes up the line  one year I   went by bus from Aylesbury.The bus was going to preservation and this was its last paying journey we went via Stony Stratford and Northampton and the Derby ring road past annoyed people at bus stops.There was a bus rally and many unusual trams running a great day out with the added plus of the bus journey I shall the long climb up yo Chrich the noise was terrific and bounced off the walls and houses they knew we were coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crich is one of those places that has been on my list to visit for decades. That beautiful batch of photographs has just whetted my appetite even more, once we return to a vaguely more normal scenario. I think that the problem has been that I perceive it to be too much hassle to get to by public transport, so it gets shunted into a siding each year. One day .....   :D

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, 35A said:

Crich is one of those places that has been on my list to visit for decades. That beautiful batch of photographs has just whetted my appetite even more, once we return to a vaguely more normal scenario. I think that the problem has been that I perceive it to be too much hassle to get to by public transport, so it gets shunted into a siding each year. One day .....   :D

I live in London so went by train to Matlock where there is a bus station just outside the railway station with a service to just outside the Tramway Museum. It was about four years ago that I went so check that things are still as easy. Spent a very enjoyable time on the trams, had a very filling and enjoyable meal at the museum before returning on the bus to Matlock where I caught the Peak Rail steam service for a return trip before coming back to London. A very good and enjoyable day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1