Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago when I was younger and fitter, but I have memories of walking from a station to Crich with the family. It was very uphill. Would that have been from Whatstandwell? About 3/4 mile in a straight line according to Google Earth.

Jonathan

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Many years ago when I was younger and fitter, but I have memories of walking from a station to Crich with the family. It was very uphill. Would that have been from Whatstandwell? About 3/4 mile in a straight line according to Google Earth.

Jonathan

Yes,either that or Ambergate.Most likely Whatstandwell.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Dry Doddington photo’s which are certainly of interest and bring back happy memories of travelling on the ECML, in those days, on the HST’s.  In particular, J7827 of a class 254 set, on an up express, in March, 1983, just brings out the power of a HST so perfectly. I recall, on going through Sandy, in one of the sets, returning from King’s Cross, in May, 1982, we had slowed for something - can’t recall exactly what it was - but when we accelerated away from it, there was quite a lurch forward as the speed really increased back to 125 mph. That ‘kick up the backside’ that I recall someone saying. Such happy days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which all are of interest. In C18273, at Fourstones, with class 156, 156437, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service on the 30th January, 1993, you can see, on the gangway door, that an overhead live wire warning sign has been put onto it. I can’t recall that happening very much, if at all.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

C18273 and C20363; 156433 and 156437 were (and still are, 25 years and more later !) Corkerhill units, so the workings may well be through services from Scotland (eg Dumfries/Glasgow C/Stranraer etc) to Newcastle.

Great photos as always, thanks again David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going back to the Low Fell pictures on the previous page, between Aug 87 and Jun 88 there appears to have been an incident that has caused the frog on the up slow(?) line crossover point to be replaced by plain rail...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, talisman56 said:

Going back to the Low Fell pictures on the previous page, between Aug 87 and Jun 88 there appears to have been an incident that has caused the frog on the up slow(?) line crossover point to be replaced by plain rail...

I think this was discussed a while back. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Morpeth photo’s which are all full of interest. In C5184, with an unidentifiable class 40 on a Newcastle to Edinburgh service, comprised of Mk1 stock, in August, 1980, you have captured a most atmospheric view of the train, which is running through a hazy/misty countryside. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s which are all of interest. In the last one, with 47844, with Test Car number 2 on a down train, on the 24th October, 1990, it seems it is at the head of a service train of air conditioned Mkll’s. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Carlisle 37305 down oil and 47418 down l e 30th May 90 C14509.jpg

I think you meant to type 37035?

Split headcode is the give away there, and the number is tucked away under the right box if you zoom right in.

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Carlisle 37305 down oil and 47418 down l e 30th May 90 C14509.jpg

I think you meant to type 37035?

Split headcode is the give away there, and the number is tucked away under the right box if you zoom right in.

Regards,

Dave

It was a typing error.

Now corrected.  Many thanks for pointing it out.

David

C14514.........47533.

Compare and contrast two years later.......Flickr link courtesy of Tinsley.tmd.41a

47533 OC 7/3/92

Sometimes hard to rationalise! Great photo of a happier time David.

Regards

Guy

Edited by balders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, balders said:

C14514.........47533.

Compare and contrast two years later.......Flickr link courtesy of Tinsley.tmd.41a

47533 OC 7/3/92

Regards

Guy

So, so sad...

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, balders said:

C14514.........47533.

Regards

Guy

From this angle, it doesn't look that badly damaged. Presumably if it had been in the full flush of youth it would have been repaired and out in service again fairly quickly rather than being a quick and readily available source of serviceable spare parts...

Edited by talisman56
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Going back to J7827 (second photo on this page), was there a steam special due? There are several people around including a few inside the fence. 

According to Six Bells Junction 13th March saw Flying Scotsman on a special on the ECML. 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Going back to J7827 (second photo on this page), was there a steam special due? There are several people around including a few inside the fence. 

32 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

According to Six Bells Junction 13th March saw Flying Scotsman on a special on the ECML. 

I think that the photo was taken on that day.  

Such behaviour was quite common then, sadly.

David

• Thanks 1