Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s from the line between Grantham and Nottingham. All are of interest, and what a delightful train in the landscape J8037 at Bottesford, is, with a class 105 on a Grantham to Nottingham service in July, 1983.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chris116 said:

According to Six Bells Junction 13th March saw Flying Scotsman on a special on the ECML. 

That would have been the third (IIRC) of the three Diamond Jubilee runs of 4472, from Peterborough to York. I was on the one that ran on the second weekend. In case anyone is interested, here's a couple from the same day as Dave's HST picture, one of "Flying Scotsman" waiting for the charter to arrive from King's Cross, taken at Eastfield box, Peterborough, and a second of her working hard as she passes Greatford.

P19830313002 4472 Peterborough.jpg

P19830313007 4472 Greatford.jpg

Edited by 35A
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, talisman56 said:

From this angle, it doesn't look that badly damaged. Presumably if it had been in the full flush of youth it would have been repaired and out in service again fairly quickly rather than being a quick and readily available source of serviceable spare parts...

According to class47.co.uk, it was only 9 months after Dave's picture that 47472 ran into 47533 at Reading. Both were scrapped even though fairly lightly damaged, 47533 in 1995 at OC, behind the stores looking at the picture. It looks like it may have at least donated its bogies to another loco by that point.

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the Hope Valley photos. Years ago, I happened to return from Manchester to home via Sheffield. I was blown away when the train left Cowburn tunnel. Beautiful countryside round Edale, Hope, Bamford and Hathersage. Good walking country too.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Derbyshire photo’s, which are all of interest showing various different aspects of railways and former railways in that County. In C14246, at Middleton Top, on the former Cromford and High Peak line, on Sunday, the 8th April, 1990, on the left you can see a signal. I’m not sure if it’s original or a fake one. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Derbyshire photo’s, which are all of interest showing various different aspects of railways and former railways in that County. In C14246, at Middleton Top, on the former Cromford and High Peak line, on Sunday, the 8th April, 1990, on the left you can see a signal. I’m not sure if it’s original or a fake one. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The original was LNWR as evidenced by the wooden post.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Scottish preservation photo’s, from the 18th February, 1990,  which are now at the Dunaskin Heritage Centre. All are of great interest, and the last one of the Ruston and Hornsby locomotive, of two foot gauge, is fascinating and I’m wondering what has happened to that locomotive since the photo’ was taken. 
I like the photo’s from Beattock Summit and Carstairs, on the 7th August, 1995. All are of interest and historical value. In C20412, at Beattock Summit, with 86226, on a Glasgow Central to Paddington express, you have captured a great view of the class 86 hauled express comprised of Mkll stock.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2020 at 15:09, DaveF said:

Such behaviour was quite common then, sadly.

David

Although I don't condone it, any trespassers seemed to be better behaved than now where they are sometimes totally irresponsible.

Often in older pictures there are photographers in unauthorised places but it had got out of hand, especially with Scotsman's return a little whiile back

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest York photo’s which are as interesting and nostalgic as ever. In the first photo’, with a class 141 Pacer, 141116, on the 2nd July, 1989, you can see quite clearly just how narrow the bodies were - compare it to the class 108 on the same track behind it. Quite a difference in width!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the ECML in Northumberland at Ulgham Lane crossing photo’s which are all full of interest. In C9447, with 37, 37510, on an up cement train, on the 7th May, 1988, you can see, clearly, how it still had it’s number, abeit with a 7 missing under the cab end window, despite carrying a large bodyside number. That would be interesting to see on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Dave thanks for the Lucker pics for a good few years we spent our summer holidays here and every morning drove over the crossing going to the beach at Bamborough to walk dogs. Good place to stay as central for all places and very little traffic.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the ECML in Northumberland at Lucker photo’s which are all of interest. In the first one, with a class 254 HST, on an up service, in August, 1982, it is a great view and shows off the HST perfectly.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Grantham photo’s which all are of interest. In the first one of an unidentified class 47 on a Parkeston Quay to Manchester train, in  July,  1980, you have good view of a fairly typical locomotive hauled train. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the LNWR photo’s. They are all of interest and nostalgia. In J7262, at Birmingham International, with 86221, on a down service, in October, 1980, the 86 has clearly had a bump of some kind with a noticeable dent on the corner of the drivers side of the cab.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2020 at 15:19, DaveF said:

Grantham Class 47 Parkeston Quay to Manchester July 80 J6994.jpg

Interesting effect caused by lamp posts obscuring window pillars on the leading mk2, second vehicle;  made me double-take!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Tyne Yard photo’s, which are all of interest. In C15953, with 31422, on a down permanent way train, on the 19th June, 1991, the 31 looks nice and spotless, having, presumably, been recently repainted. And in the following photo’, C20009, with 60038 on a down steel train on the 11th March, 1995, you have given a great portrait shot of the locomotive along with a good example of repeating patterns, in the foreground, from the MGR, HAA wagons.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1