Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway photo’s which are all of interest, and show what a delightful railway it is. In C8773, at Fisherground Loop, with River Mite taking on water, on a Ravenglass to Dalegarth train, on the 7th August, 1987, you can certainly see just how scenic the line is. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. Thank you for posting those fascinating photo’s of Newcastle. They show a great deal which is not usually  to be seen in railway photo’s of Newcastle that seem to concentrate entirely on the station and viaducts, i.e. the High Level Bridge. The first photo’ is a excellent example of that. It shows a class 254 HST on an Inverness to Kings Cross service, passing over Castle Garth viaduct, next to that famous keep from which many birds eye photo’s of the station and diamond crossings have been taken, in June, 1988.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Settle to Carlisle photo’s, which show many interesting aspects of the famous line. In J1195, of Ribblehead viaduct in the sun, but with no train, in December, 1967, the viaduct looks tiny in the midst of the surroundings.  C21740, at Culgaith, on the 4th April, 1997, is one of those useful detail photo’s, that you mentioned about, that modellers can always make such good use of.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

One of those 'Airfix' Meat Vans in the first shot (C747). I think the second van is a  late GWR shock van too. Looks a pretty miserable day though!

It was bitterly cold with a penetrating frost all day.

I was a student then and had travelled from Manchester to York for the day to take photos and visit the (old) railway museum.

When I set out from Manchester it was cold but sunny,  the weather changed as we crossed the pennines.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Dave any idea what rhe ehicle is behind the pacers at York looks interesting ,Chris

Isn't it just a BR-type CCT parcels van? (photo J9064)

Edit: although by 1987, it was probably in departmental use or internal user.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest York photo’s which are so full of interest and nostalgia in equal amounts. In J9061, with 47406 on a Newcastle to Liverpool service, in July, 1987, it’s interesting to see the two different liveries. The 47 in InterCity livery, and the carriages in Trans-Pennine two shades of blue and white, and light grey. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

In J9061 is something I hadn’t noticed before; the white and pale blue stripes on the Trans-Pennine coaches are not aligned with the white and red stripes on the loco. On comparing them with other liveries of the time, it seems that the Trans-Pennine stripes were lower on the coach body sides than was the case with InterCity and ScotRail coaches. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Dave any idea what rhe ehicle is behind the pacers at York looks interesting ,Chris

There was often a CCT at the end of that bay platform.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

C747. Nice to see a return to proper era diesels.

Do I see bolts on the side of the loco and imagine the number to be 217, or are my eyes decieving me?

Mike.

Dunno, but you try asking those three at the end of the platform!

:)

Kev.

• Funny 4

Ahh 144 001, have ridden on that many times from Harrogate to Leeds and York and beyond in fact i think my last ride on a pacer was that. Only just older than me too!

As for the vehicle at the stops on plat 8 at York im sure its a blue cct thst has appeared on other pics around the time.

As always, cheers for posting Dave

James

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

C747. Nice to see a return to proper era diesels.

Do I see bolts on the side of the loco and imagine the number to be 217, or are my eyes decieving me?

Mike.

I think im seeing them too.. the colour pic Dave just posted instantly made me feel cold, many a frozen evening waiting the last train home in  weather like that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Shows how dark it must've been, you can see the RH marker light - these are so dim you usually can't tell if they're on or not.

I think Dave did well to get this pic without any blurring!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I make a point of doing a trip over the Forth Bridge every year, simply because it is so magnificent; Living in Scotland makes that easy !

Believe it or not, trespassers occasionally try to cross the Forth by walking over the bridge; On one occasion it was a non-native who explained that doing such things were normal where he came from ! Any such event during train running hours causes huge disruption.

Thanks again for the photos David. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s of Dalmeny with the Forth Bridge. They are all of interest, and those with the Forth Bridge are awe inspiring. In the first photo’, with 158728, on an Edinburgh to Aberdeen service, on the 5th April, 1991, the bridge makes the unit appear so small! And I think the train coming in the other direction is probably the one to be seen in the second photo’, 107040, on an Edinburgh service.

But why did Scotrail paint black, the area above the cab windows of the class 150’s as seen in C20370, and C20375? It made them look so drab, so tired. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, DaveF said:

I've had another go at sorting out the colour on C747, I think this is the best I can do.

It may make identifying the loco easier.  It certainly serves to remined me just what a dark cold day it was.

Nowadays I'd have stayed at home, but I was young then.

747.jpg.2ddd4f43d6180ccbeafd1d009890e31d.jpg

York Class 40 up freight Nov 71 C747.jpg

David

Could be 2...7?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1