Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

But why did Scotrail paint black, the area above the cab windows of the class 150’s as seen in C20370, and C20375? It made them look so drab, so tired. 

I’d never noticed that before; I thought it was just dirt.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Market65 said:

But why did Scotrail paint black, the area above the cab windows of the class 150’s as seen in C20370, and C20375? It made them look so drab, so tired.

I don't think it was just Scotrail, the Northern Spirit livery seems to be the same, as below.

150218.JPG.f6df657455a846954fee5717c7cde3ec.JPG

I think it is painted black, but judging by the OHLE warnings it could just be dirt.

I guess painting the area black meant that it didn't have to be manually cleaned, as the wash plant wouldn't get that area.

If you look at 156s and the original driving cab end of a 153, they have that brow that creates the problem, whereas the rebuilt end of a 153 and the 158s were more open and rounded off, so stayed cleaner.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Teesside Airport photo’s from the 2nd December, 1989. All are of interest, and full of atmosphere. In C13872, with a class 143 on a Darlington to Middlesbrough train, you have a truly stunning photo’, which would make a great oil painting. Thank you for posting it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Once again, some very nice photos Dave, thanks for sharing. In C13871 you've also managed to capture the runway approach lights and the "trip wire", which when "disconnected" put signals on both lines to red. I presume the lights and trip wire are still in operation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, iands said:

Once again, some very nice photos Dave, thanks for sharing. In C13871 you've also managed to capture the runway approach lights and the "trip wire", which when "disconnected" put signals on both lines to red. I presume the lights and trip wire are still in operation. 

Hi, Yes the trip wire is still in operation.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

The signals were marked as semi with the trip wire. I remember asking on my mp12 drivers course if you would have to make sure the air traffic control tower was closed before passing them on self authority 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Buston Barns photo’s, which are all of interest. In C15796, with 43060 leading a HST on an up express on the 4th May, 1991, you can see how all the yellow flowers of the very smelly oil seed rape have discoloured the sides of the Mklll coaches, making them appear yellowish.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

J8652; IIRC this was 8X99, the corresponding Up working being 8X98. The 'X' headcodes being used due to the extreme nastiness of the commodity ! The trains ran between Grangemouth and Haverton Hill and were closely monitored by Control.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

They were quite common..

And potentially a pain in the proverbial. The one at Gatwick got cut more than once by an on-track machine to my certain knowledge, giving Three Bridges signalman palpitations. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, LNERGE said:

Oakington

They were quite common..

My first-ever flight was from Oakington with the CCF in a Vickers Varsity (alias Flying Pig) - about October 1970 I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And potentially a pain in the proverbial. The one at Gatwick got cut more than once by an on-track machine to my certain knowledge, giving Three Bridges signalman palpitations. 

There are trip wires in Scotland at Edinburgh, Glasgow and Prestwick Airports. I never knew any to have been activated by an aircraft, ever, but they did fail occasionally, Edinburgh in particular being prone to damage from high winds; For reasons unknown to me in one direction that system held not one but two signals at danger. And regarding Edinburgh Airport, don't get me started on the time a suspect aircraft was moved as far as possible from the terminal buildings, right next to the railway ! So flights were largely unaffected but we were instructed to close the line.......

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s between Freeman’s Crossing and North Blyth. All are of interest, and what a fascinating sight of the sidings in J7642, at Cambois, west staithes sidings, in April, 1982. Such a lot to see including all those wagons, which would cost a small fortune if all were modelled on a model railway today.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Stop it with the West Staithes pics, gives me all sorts of ideas!!

Mike.

Fantastic photos delivered everyday - that's the trouble - constant sources of inspiration.

Great photos as always Dave, thanks for posting.

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Midland Railway Trust photo’s which are all of interest. In J6081, at Butterley, you have a most fascinating photo’ of crane engine, by Barclay, Stanton No24, in May, 1978. What a terrific model it would translate into.

The Carlisle photo’s are as interesting as ever, and in J8864, with 47404, on a Carlisle to Middlesbrough train in April, 1987, I’m wondering if the first Mkl CK is in the formation so that it can get some work’s attention. It’s certainly interesting to see two CK’s in a row in a passenger carrying train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Midland Railway Trust photo’s which are all of interest. In J6081, at Butterley, you have a most fascinating photo’ of crane engine, by Barclay, Stanton No24, in May, 1978. What a terrific model it would translate into.

The Carlisle photo’s are as interesting as ever, and in J8864, with 47404, on a Carlisle to Middlesbrough train in April, 1987, I’m wondering if the first Mkl CK is in the formation so that it can get some work’s attention. It’s certainly interesting to see two CK’s in a row in a passenger carrying train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think the CKs may be because the train was a dmu replacement service when Heaton had a serious shortage of dmus. They ended up using a mix of loco hauled trains with whatever stock was available together with a motley collection of dmus, including some from Wales as we have already seen in earlier photos.

The train in this photo would only have been three of four coaches long.

I suppose it is like the earlier days of model railways when the only Mk1s in 00 seemed to be CKs and BSKs.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1