Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Border Reiver said:

Ref C14512 86251 on Inverness-Euston train. Unless there is a DVT at the other end, its at the north end of platform 3 heading north

Many thanks for pointing that out.

In my slide catalogue I had it right as a Euston to Inverness service, so why did I reverse Euston and Inverness when I typed it?

The caption has been corrected.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

Lovely photos of the Midland Railway Centre.  I took a holiday about 25 years ago touring round the preserved railways, starting with the Severn Valley, the Great Central the Midland Railway Centre, the East Lancs and finishing up at Crewe Heritage Centre.  Of them all the Midland Railway Centre was the most friendly, most accessible and generally most enjoyable of them all.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle photo’s which are full of interest. Clearly things were a bit weary by the late eighties and early nineties. In C15466, with a class 31 on an up mail train, on the 8th May, 1990, I just wonder if the identity of the locomotive will ever be found out. A shame if it has to remain anonymous.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To correct a spelling error.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle photo’s which are full of interest. Clearly things were a bit weary by the late eighties and early nineties. In C15466, with a class 31 on an up mail train, on the 8th May, 1990, I just wonder if the identity of the locomotive will ever be found out. A shame if it has to remain anonymous.

Challenge accepted, I think you'll find it is 31252, proof here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul-green-photography/8414135966/in/photolist-RqWGi6-pbkB6j-9GMc96-dWxdyD-SzAEiu-rZt9X8-nWebzR-WBfba4-NMoy2W-kBRGit-Nv8iud-fLtmTM-a9jEXc-p61Lp7-hRxYaA-24NT1m8-2hCFn51-MZBFQn-MZBG98-hZ9hvL-dPwDtL-G4ENKD-Nv8gsh-9Q3mfa-eqMvMt-bc8ebk-NXHaXv-8T6uHA-NMowcU-NMozVf-aEPZmM-NXHcLk-b6QpW8-b6QpGt-b6Qr6H

As it goes there are several features that stand it out, namely the blue star markings are quite wide apart, the torn 'Railfreight' branding, the placement of the OHLE flash by the engine room door and lack of a headlight, to name a few.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Challenge accepted, I think you'll find it is 31252, proof here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul-green-photography/8414135966/in/photolist-RqWGi6-pbkB6j-9GMc96-dWxdyD-SzAEiu-rZt9X8-nWebzR-WBfba4-NMoy2W-kBRGit-Nv8iud-fLtmTM-a9jEXc-p61Lp7-hRxYaA-24NT1m8-2hCFn51-MZBFQn-MZBG98-hZ9hvL-dPwDtL-G4ENKD-Nv8gsh-9Q3mfa-eqMvMt-bc8ebk-NXHaXv-8T6uHA-NMowcU-NMozVf-aEPZmM-NXHcLk-b6QpW8-b6QpGt-b6Qr6H

As it goes there are several features that stand it out, namely the blue star markings are quite wide apart, the torn 'Railfreight' branding, the placement of the OHLE flash by the engine room door and lack of a headlight, to name a few.

It looks right to me so I've added it to the caption and to my slide catalogue notes.

Many thanks Davexoc

• Agree 1

On 12/07/2020 at 15:36, DaveF said:

92211069_Carlisle87003shuntingMotorailstockApril87J8884.jpg.46e3b03d8720d27d7bb4660c17dc9d46.jpg

Carlisle 87003 shunting Motorail stock April 87 J8884.jpg

1417845023_Carlisle37203AlcanNorthBlythtoFortWilliamaluminaMay90J10934.jpg.64408d1cdb535fe2e3e3c9b5a92bc593.jpg

Carlisle 37203 Alcan North Blyth to Fort William alumina May 90 J10934.jpg

More fascinating photos, David, with the Carlisle ones above being just the latest. One of my favourite locations, quite apart from it being my nearest big mainline station.

A couple of pointers though if I may:

You've really overdone the weathering on the GUV next to the shiny clean 87. It just looks all wrong. You'd never see a parcels van that dirty next to such a clean loco.

The 37 on the Alcan service is way too clean. It really needs weathering, as it looks like you've just taken it out of the box and plonked it on the track. Very lazy modelling.

:D :D :D :D

Thanks once again for posting these wonderful pics and please keep them coming.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle line photo’s. All are of interest, and in the last photo’ at Haydon Bridge, with 156443, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service, on the 3rd December, 1994, you can see that one of the level crossing gates is almost certainly a replacement, compared to the gate nearest the signal box. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Cramlington photo’s. All are of interest, and the first one of a class 46 ‘Peak’ on an up service of Mkl stock in December, 1980, is most stunning with a striking skyscape. And then in, J9659, with a class 101 unit, set number, S802, on a Morpeth to Newcastle service in August, 1988, you can see how pitted the cab end of the DMSL was by that time, along with the fact a high intensity headlight had been fitted along with different cab door handrails. The handrails being continuous as opposed to the usual small one next to the door knob, and a separate longer one below it. I wonder if being an ex Scottish unit has anything to do with the difference. I can’t find any mention about it on the Railcar website.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I wonder what was wrong with the footbridge. It was much more elegant than its replacement.

Jonathan

It was too low for the OHLE - in the first photo with the old bridge the wires actually touch the bridge!

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Prototype for everything there, J9659, you can actually see the wires touching the bridge!

(Obviously well before switch on though.)

Kev.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Cramlington photo’s. All are of interest, and the first one of a class 46 ‘Peak’ on an up service of Mkl stock in December, 1980, is most stunning with a striking skyscape. And then in, J9659, with a class 101 unit, set number, S802, on a Morpeth to Newcastle service in August, 1988, you can see how pitted the cab end of the DMSL was by that time, along with the fact a high intensity headlight had been fitted along with different cab door handrails. The handrails being continuous as opposed to the usual small one next to the door knob, and a separate longer one below it. I wonder if being an ex Scottish unit has anything to do with the difference. I can’t find any mention about it on the Railcar website.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hello.

With a set number of S802 you'll find that this was an ex-Swansea (Landore) unit, many of which had headlights fitted for working certain lines in Wales.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Cumbrian Coast line photo’s, all of which are of interest. In C19762, at Harrington, on the 24th August, 1994, you can see how the line ran between various buildings, which is just right for hiding a line away on a model railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1