Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Fantastic photos as always....

Just been catching up and for the record I believe you have a couple of incorrectly identified Deltics from a month or so ago....

C734 is quoted as 9006 

J2954 is quoted as 9019

but both of these have the more rounded type of nameplates carried by Gateshead Deltics but both 9006 & 9019 were Haymarket locos....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML in Northumberland photo’s which are all of interest. In the last one at Stobswood, by the brickworks, with a class 55, on a Newcastle to Edinburgh service in August, 1980, you can see, on enlarging the photo’, that the 55 is 55018, Ballymoss.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

More excellent pictures David.

The picture of Stobswood, J7129, seems a very short train, 6 coaches? Was this normal? Any idea of the consist? Looks a nice modellable train.

Rich.

I don't know much about the carriage workings at the time, I had only just moved to Northumberland then, but I recall that most of the Newcastle to Edinburgh trains were about that length.

I am sure others here will have more details.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

From the 1980-1 Carriage Working Book, the Newcastle-Edinburgh trains (presumably the 'stoppers') were generally 3 or 4 SK, CK, BSK (or BG) - vacuum braked mk1 stock. 

The 10.05 New-Edin was 8 coaches and mk2 a/c stock on fridays (June-August) so may either busier, or a stock positioning working.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Four Class 56s feature in todays photos, in numerical order.  One of them appears twice in different liveries.

They were all taken at Winning, on the line to Cambois and North Blyth

Winning 56115 coal to Blyth west staithes Feb 88 J9430.jpg

Winning 56115 up empty coal from Blyth power station July 89 J10058.jpg

Winning 56116 coal empties 28th March 89 C11755.jpg

Winning 56117 to Blyth Power station July 89 J10059.jpg

Winning 56118 empties heading south 21st August 89 C13718.jpg

David

And apart from the reliveried 115 all in datal order as well.

Nice work.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Winning photo’s which are all of interest. In C11755, with 56116, on a coal empties train, on the 28th March, 1989, you have captured a great portrait of the 56 complete with the loco’s number under the air horn box.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Fascinating pictures David, a real pleasure looking through these and interesting info. I know the location of C18480 at Blyth south harbour very well indeed, used to walk along there to go fishing on the pier every weekend with my school mates. Still fish off there in the winter.

Thank you for posting these.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Carnforth photo’s which are full of interest. In the last one,  with the LYR 1300 and two saloons, on the 8th August, 1987, the saloon nearest to the camera is the former Thompson, Engineers Saloon, which is always good to see.

The Blyth photo’s are packed with interest, and it’s hard to single out one in particular, but in the first two, of those tankers being craned into position to form a ship refuelling facility, on the 19th April, 1985, it’s interesting to see how the bogies did not drop off. Obviously they are secured to the underframe in various ways, totally different to any small scale model.

Thank you for posting all these remarkable photo’s, and the time you’ve taken to extensively caption them. It is much appreciated, and a most excellent way to bow out on until after tomorrow’s server upgrade of this site.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

While it's always sad when industry closes or moves away, it's heartening to see the area being re-purposed instead of left to ruin.

Thanks for a very informative post as well as the pictures Dave.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, I’ve only just found out the site is back. Well, I like the latest Grantham photo’s which are all of interest, and much nostalgia too. In the first photo’ of 47544 on an up Grimsby to Kings Cross service, in June, 1980, you can see several examples of LNER standard pway huts in the background. It’s easy to overlook things like them, and great to see them in a photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1