Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Don't think that photo c13902 is 31 411 as the loco in the photo has the later plated type of headcode box that was on the locos converted to 31/4 sub class in the 80's. The headcode box on 31 411 was black, glass with dominoes behind. Afraid one that we may never know the true identity of. Nice photo, though, thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Hi David,

As always, thanks for posting your photos, a pleasure to view this thread on a daily basis. Have to laugh at the caption for C12097, can't imagine what some of the responses will be to that........

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

Really enjoyed the pictures the last couple of days. My wife is originally from Loughborough and never really paid much attention to railways until she met me, she had never even been on the Great Central! We now live in Newcastle so enjoyed the pictures around the station. So some nice connections.

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to upload for our enjoyment.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 03060 said:

Don't think that photo c13902 is 31 411 as the loco in the photo has the later plated type of headcode box that was on the locos converted to 31/4 sub class in the 80's. The headcode box on 31 411 was black, glass with dominoes behind. Afraid one that we may never know the true identity of. Nice photo, though, thanks for sharing.

I'll delete the numberr from the caption.  Many thanks for pointing it out.

1 hour ago, Tom D said:

Hi David,

As always, thanks for posting your photos, a pleasure to view this thread on a daily basis. Have to laugh at the caption for C12097, can't imagine what some of the responses will be to that........

I've corrected the caption - I thought it best to do so.

David

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 03060 said:

Spotting features that make it stand out are the reinforced driver's windscreen and the position of the blue stars. I'm also going to stick my neck out and say that the second man's door is a bit stiff and gets kicked open, which makes it 31442. Later in the same year and somewhat grubbier, but same end/side but wider view

http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/268500/CC

Any takers?

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle photo’s which are all of interest. In J8774, with a class 45, and a more distant class 47, and 56, in February, 1987, the right hand marker light, on the class 45 appears to not be on, or not shining as strongly as the left hand one. This was too early for day and night time lights wasn’t it?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Locos historically only showed one tail light, as did trains (except Royal trains)

However with the Edinburgh-Glasgow push-pulls, there was an instruction that they had to show two reds at the back. This started with the cl.27 + MK2 trains and carried on with the cl.47 + DBSO sets.

If one of the loco tail lights failed, then a tail lamp had to be carried.

But this only applied when a loco was on the rear of a p-p train.

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle photo’s which are all of interest. In J8774, with a class 45, and a more distant class 47, and 56, in February, 1987, the right hand marker light, on the class 45 appears to not be on, or not shining as strongly as the left hand one. This was too early for day and night time lights wasn’t it?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob, it is very noticeable, I did wonder if it was just the angle of the light striking the loco but I think it is more likely just a very dim light bulb.

I have seen it before on other locos but can't at the moment think when so I can't find a photo to show it - but I think that there is at least one somewhere in this thread if anyone has time to look for it.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Rob, it is very noticeable, I did wonder if it was just the angle of the light striking the loco but I think it is more likely just a very dim light bulb.

I have seen it before on other locos but can't at the moment think when so I can't find a photo to show it - but I think that there is at least one somewhere in this thread if anyone has time to look for it.

David

IIRC there were two grades of lamps in our stores. One was marked up as 'Rough Service', and these were generally used for engine room lighting. They weren't particularly bright because they didn't glow as hot to cope with the engine vibrations. If that was all that was available to keep a loco in service, then it would get used.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Not spelling coffee is a great deal less important than not spilling it!

Uncharacteristically, I was actually a passenger on the first day of service to Wittersham Road, and my mate and I, our wives and his first born, all arrived by public transport from the Medway Towns.

In later years I lived in Cranbrook, so the KESR was my local preserved line, and one or two colleagues volunteered there. It was surreal to be addressed as 'Guv' when just a paying passenger! 

The KESR has an atmosphere all its own, and I relished it. Will it ever get to Robertsbridge?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Kent and East Sussex Railway photo’s from the mid to late seventies which are all delightful and show scenes of some of the earlier locomotives and rolling stock. In C4909, at Tenterden Bank, with RSH 26 and Terrier number 10, Sutton, running light engine on the 26th December, 1979, you have a lovely view with the smoke and steam drifting away from the engines over the countryside. 
The photo’s of Croxdale, on the ECML, between Darlington and Durham, are all of interest, and in the last photo’, of  37095, on an up permanent way train, on the 16th October, 1993, the angle the photo’ was taken from helps to emphasise the viaducts size and presence in that location. Those electricity cables and pylons look to be very high up indeed from that ground level location.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 21:57, russ p said:

Ahh right, I'm getting confused, I was thinking it was the goods. I think by then they only went as far as Pye Bridge

The line on the was the former Up Goods, but post Trent The Up and Down goods ceased at Pye Bridge. The former Up Goofs south of Blackwell South was kept as a siding and head shunt for alfreton explosives and chemicals, a couple of wagons of which can be seen top left.

The 20s are taking the siding line (former Up Goods) in order to set (what look like) their empty wagons (prob ex Avenue) into Tibshelf Sidings or Blackwell Sidings,

The route from the Bi-di to the DOWN Main was not a signalled move, "BUT" I was once in the bad of 66034 running around its Doe Hill coal train for Drax and the loco was given permission by Trent to pass the signal at Danger and run onto the DOWN Main in order to run north to Avenue Siding and then back onto its train at DoE Hill. The PROPER! Signalled move was for the train to go to Pye Bridge and cross over there.

There is a story that alegadly the driver of a 40! Did mistake the siding road as a running line and he thought he needed to go to Pye Bridge to come back and smashed through the buffers near Alfretn station, but never seen any pics or evidence for this.

The line was last used as a headshunt/access for Alfreton ECP sometime in the mid-1980s..  it then lay dormant until being re-used as the line for the "Engine shed opencast" and was merely cleared of small trees and grass, once photographed a guy with a sweeping brush clearing it! and the concrete sleepers and track merely used again as though it had been laid only years before instead of the 60 years at least that it had been down..... albeit as a siding during that time.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the ECML in Northumberland photo’s at Longhirst, and Ulgham Lane LC’s. All are of interest, and in C18546, at Longhirst, with 43095 leading a down HST, on the 22nd May, 1993, that’s quite a contrast between the Swallow liveried HST and the field of Oil Seed Rape in the foreground. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another good set of pictures David.

The single clean coach in the C18546 HST rake sticks out a mile, I wonder why it’s not dirty like the rest of the train? Could the coach have been inserted to replace a defective one maybe?

Edited by Clagsniffer
Added picture reference
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd have thought so - although knocking out coaches was comparatively easy with the HST, it wouldn't be done if it wasn't necessary. Sets would be kept together, if possible, so that the maintenance programmes of the coaches in a set matched.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, keefer said:

I'd have thought so - although knocking out coaches was comparatively easy with the HST, it wouldn't be done if it wasn't necessary. Sets would be kept together, if possible, so that the maintenance programmes of the coaches in a set matched.

Something like a serious wheel flat would get it swapped out. I say serious because some catering vehicles seemed prone to minor ones.

Also the trailing power car is clean, but they were much more likely to be swapped anyway...

• Thanks 1