Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Morpeth photo’s which are as interesting as always. In the first one, with a class 55, Deltic, on a Newcastle to Edinburgh service, in December, 1981, you can see just how begrimed both locomotive and Mkll carriages all are.  The exhaust drifting down, around the train adds to the effect.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Mighty Deltic, in the first picture C5599, shows how feeble the lights were on locos back then.

The coach in the last pic has got some punch to it too!

Kev.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, SHMD said:

.... shows how feeble the lights were on locos back then.

Not only loco's. When I started on the railway back in 1973, electric lights in semaphore signals were designed such as to give the same (or very close to) light intensity as a "flame" from a paraffin lamp (before the high intensity lamps were introduced). As such the bulbs were only 4 volt 0.5 watts!

Edited by iands
Deleted repeated word.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, DaveF said:

Morpeth Class 55 Newcastle to Edinburgh Dec 81 C5599.jpg

With the snow and the date, this could well have been between Christmas and New Year, the final days of the Deltics in BR service.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Cramlington photo’s which are all of interest. In the last photo’, you have a good view of the class 91 going away on the rear of the express to Kings Cross, on the 24th December, 1992.  I’m not sure if the 91 can be indentified, but it’s last number seems to be a seven. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

What no steam!:rolleyes:

Those OH wires look very close to the underside of the footbridge in the pic of the class 101.

The last picture, I presume is a new footbridge as it looks higher.

Edited by andytrains
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the latest Cramlington photo’s which are all of interest. In the last photo’, you have a good view of the class 91 going away on the rear of the express to Kings Cross, on the 24th December, 1992.  I’m not sure if the 91 can be indentified, but it’s last number seems to be a seven. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

91007 was named Ian Allan with plaque above, which looks right to me.....

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, andytrains said:

What no steam!:rolleyes:

Those OH wires look very close to the underside of the footbridge in the pic of the class 101.

The last picture, I presume is a new footbridge as it looks higher.

Interesting that only the line the DMU is on has had the contact wires installed, the other line doesn't yet have them. I'm wondering if the footbridge was replaced before they went live?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Interesting that only the line the DMU is on has had the contact wires installed, the other line doesn't yet have them. I'm wondering if the footbridge was replaced before they went live?

It was replaced, as can be seen in photo of Cramlington taken later on.

It was done a few weeks before the power was switched on

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Settle and Carlisle photo’s and all are full of interest. In the first photo’, at Kirkby Stephen, with a damaged class 156 DMU on the 15th April, 1999, you can see many men on the track. I’m just wondering if they were carrying out some repairs?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Settle and Carlisle photo’s and all are full of interest. In the first photo’, at Kirkby Stephen, with a damaged class 156 DMU on the 15th April, 1999, you can see many men on the track. I’m just wondering if they were carrying out some repairs?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

. Here's a piece on the accident from Wikipedia:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Ais_Gill_rail_accident. Note that, although the main account is of  the 1995 accident, it refers to the later one as well.

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. Firstly, it is exceptionally hot here in the East Riding, with much of it at 86F. I’m sat, in front of a two foot fan, with my iPad which helping to keep me nice and cool. 
Now, the Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s are full of interest, and in C13884, at Willington Quay, with that broken down Metro train, on the  28th December, 1989, I’m just wondering what the nature of the problem was. But it makes a fine sight on the viaduct as it awaits rescue, which came by the time of the following photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Re the flat bottomed jointed rails, could ity have ben that the line had been resleeped using track panels and they rails would soon be replaced by CWR?

It was hot here in mid Wales this morning but we have just had a bit of rain.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Rob F said:

In C21739 we see concrete sleepers, flat bottomed rail and pandrol clips but jointed, not CWR. How common was this?

I remember seeing a lot of jointed flat bottomed rail on concrete sleepers, but it was less common by the time of this photo.

Remember that the S&C was considered to be a secondary route for a long time.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Cramlington photo’s, all of which are of interest. In the first photo’, with 43080, leading an up HST, on the 31st May, 1991, 43080, is, of course, one of the ‘surrogate’ DVT’s for use with class 91 and MklV sets. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1