Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway photo’s which are all so full of interest. In C537, at Mytholmes, with Ivatt 2MTT, number 41241, in April, 1971, it’s well composed photo’, and you can see how the Ivatt’s bunker is adorned with The West Riding nameplate. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are all of interest. In C16781, at Haltwhistle, with 156463, on a Newcastle to Carlisle service on the 20th April, 1992, you can see how the drivers side of the cab has had some patching carried out, presumably after a rough shunt.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Alnmouth photo’s which are all of interest. I see in J9196, with a two car power trailer class 101 unit on a Berwick to Newcastle service, in August, 1987, it is one of the ex WYPTE sets, and the branding ‘MetroTrain’ is still on the side of the DTSL.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

I could never work out why 43152 (photo J9360.jpg) was allocated to the ECML. It was the last of the batch of power cars with the more problematic GEC traction motors (43124-43152). The remainder, and majority of the fleet, had Brush motors.

As I understand it, entry to service for this fleet (which were ordered for West of England route services from London-Exeter, Plymouth and Penzance) was delayed while technical issues with the traction motors were overcome, and they were always more problematic in service. So it always seemed odd to me that 43152 was allocated away from the Western Region, which presumably had more engineering expertise with the type.

Cheers, Tom.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

But what happened to the milepost? I assume that is what we can see between the left hand lines opposite the loco.

Not a mile post. It is a sign for catch points on the Down Main. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Happy birthday, and I hope you’re having a great day. I like the Swayfield photo’s, and they are all of interest. The last photo’, with an unidentifiable class 47, on an up express, on the 1st April, 1978, would appear to have a Griddle car as the third carriage. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday David and what wonderful shots from the ECML to celebrate with, the power just oozes from those Deltic photos in particular. A big thank you for the pleasure your photos bring to me and others each day.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

Happy birthday David,  you were only a bit of a lad when some of those were taken.  I bet it still feels like yesterday you took those photos 

Russ,

I can often remember what else I did on the days I took the photos.

As you suggest, it really does feel like yesterday when I took them.

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Very best wishes for your 71st, Dave. You've got 9 years on me - probably why I love this thread so much, you and your dad captured much of the era when I was a young spotter with a very primitive Halina Paulette and not much photographic experience.

I always enjoy the Swayfield shots (I wish that I'd gone up there at least once!) and I really like J3142, with the light effect and the slight overhead view, which clearly shows the retaining clips towards the centre of the cab roof, where Deltics 19 to 21 originally had their horns positioned (as did DP2).

C3765 can only be one of two Deltics. From the style of the nameplate, it's a Haymarket loco and one of the four with single-line plates. Deltic 13 was in its usual residence (i.e. Doncaster Works), along with 22, throughout April 1978 - joined by 4 for the last week of the month (where it was remain until December 1979!). Therefore it's either 55 004, earlier in the month, or 55 016. Unfortunately, both retained twin windscreen wipers until their final days, which doesn't help. However, the fact that the nameplate nearly reaches the engine room windows makes me think very strongly that you've caught 55 004 in the last three weeks before its extended period of hibernation in Doncaster.

• Thanks 1