Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Glasgow Central photo’s, all,of which are of interest. In C16705, with 43068, on the 29th February, 1992, that shows the way that the yellow was applied to the power cars cab end. It was certainly different, but I think the dark grey should have been allowed to continue across the cab end as it had done previously.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Many thanks for all the good wishes for my birthday yesterday.  I had an enjoyable day.

Today's photos are from Glasgow Central between 1990 and 1995.  All the visits were on journeys to and from Glasgow Exhibition.  I usually travelled there by train, often from Newcastle via Carlisle and the Glasgow and South Western route just to go a different way.

At one time I drove there from Northumberland but gave that up after getting stuck for several hours in a traffic jam when the A69 was closed by snow.  Another year I only just managed to get home as the A74 was badly affected by snow.  After that I used the train.

1965783382_GlasgowCentral30304717thFeb90C13976.jpg.bbb696fa9cb72a3b2aabfad6ddca0b50.jpg

Glasgow Central 303047 17th Feb 90 C13976.jpg

29739058_GlasgowCentral90021downarriving2ndMarch91C15630.jpg.2ad2e56bb7a0ad825c0e93edccf53881.jpg

Glasgow Central 90021 down arriving 2nd March 91 C15630.jpg

93218958_GlasgowCentral4306829thFeb92C16705.jpg.7078746999d296d03ff33ac55cb218b4.jpg

Glasgow Central 43068 29th Feb 92 C16705.jpg

208296176_GlasgowCentral2Class156and2Class30324thFeb95C19960.jpg.2d3b9f50d4817b0c7761fab9977c2a28.jpg

Glasgow Central 2 Class 156 and 2 Class 303 24th Feb 95 C19960.jpg

259363901_GlasgowCentral10168824thFeb95C19976.jpg.3536c9c2e45b42e52e2fff0d44d7da08.jpg

Glasgow Central 101688 24th Feb 95 C19976.jpg

David

Always nice to see photos of Central station from any era - always of great interest.

25 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

hope it happens next year enjoy my visit to Glagow,

Unfortunately Model Rail Scotland 2021 has been cancelled by the organisers, but 2022 is planned to go ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday Dave. Like everyone else I would like to say Thank you for all of the pictures. They are still a source of daily enjoyment to someone who is just a tad older. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Harrogate photo’s. All are both of interest and historical value. In the first photo’ with 144017 on a York to Leeds service, on the 11th April, 1990, the 141 on the left is 141112. In J1469, of Crimple viaduct, in August, 1965, you get such a good sense of just how imposing the viaduct is.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

From Tuesday, the Deltic in C3765 is 55004 Queens’s Own Highlander and according to Chronicles of Napier worked 1A11 08.25 Newcastle to Kings Cross on 1/4/78.

C3766 looks like 47419.

Thanks very much Andrew.

David

Great photos of Harrogate as ever Dave, i dont know why but im quite liking the style of the 144s, probably now they are nearly extinct im warming to them. As for the 141s, what horrible contraptions! Have vague memories from being very young coming by train from Dewsbury to Harrogate with my Dad to visit my grandparents and thinking even then how ugly they were and not 'proper trains'

Keep em coming, always my 1st stop on rmweb is this thread.

All the best

James

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Great photos of Harrogate as ever Dave, i dont know why but im quite liking the style of the 144s, probably now they are nearly extinct im warming to them. As for the 141s, what horrible contraptions! Have vague memories from being very young coming by train from Dewsbury to Harrogate with my Dad to visit my grandparents and thinking even then how ugly they were and not 'proper trains'

Keep em coming, always my 1st stop on rmweb is this thread.

All the best

James

I lived in Harrogate from 1965 to 1968, about 100 yards from where the third photo was taken, so I could easily go to watch trains.

I much prefer the old 1st generation dmus to Pacers.  Of course in my time there you could also see Deltics, Class 40s, Class 37 and Class 25s - as well as steam locos - mainly B1s, Class 5s and a few others as can be seen in both this thread and my black and white photo thread  here.

David

• Friendly/supportive 4

12 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I lived in Harrogate from 1965 to 1968, about 100 yards from where the third photo was taken, so I could easily go to watch trains.

I much prefer the old 1st generation dmus to Pacers.  Of course in my time there you could also see Deltics, Class 40s, Class 37 and Class 25s - as well as steam locos - mainly B1s, Class 5s and a few others as can be seen in both this thread and my black and white photo thread  here.

David

I wish id been around back then, my Dad was a Harrogate lad until he met my mum and moved to Dewsbury mid 80s, after me and my brother appeared we all moved over in the late 90s so far too late to see any 'proper' locos. Thanks to your threads and other pics one day i will model Harrogate station with its great variety of locos, currently have a layout based on the gas works coal drops in Bilton junction.  I think iv asked before but i dont think you have any/many pics of the old Leeds Northern to Ripon?

Cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

And to add to that selection you also had Pullman trains as well!

The railways over the years have become more and more homogenised, mainly units which look very similar, the main differences between them being high-density or not-quite-so-high density seating!

When once you had suburban, outer-suburban, inter-city, cross-country units and long-distance express and secondary loco-hauled trains, sleepers/Motorails etc., now there's mainly slight variations on a (unit) theme.

The TPE Express and ScotRail sleepers are about the only interesting and current development in the more 'traditional' idea of loco-hauled stock.

Happy belated birthday Dave and thanks again for being one of the go-to resources when documenting the change in British railways in the 'modern' era.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

I wish id been around back then, my Dad was a Harrogate lad until he met my mum and moved to Dewsbury mid 80s, after me and my brother appeared we all moved over in the late 90s so far too late to see any 'proper' locos. Thanks to your threads and other pics one day i will model Harrogate station with its great variety of locos, currently have a layout based on the gas works coal drops in Bilton junction.  I think iv asked before but i dont think you have any/many pics of the old Leeds Northern to Ripon?

Cheers

James

It was before I had a car so I travelled around with Dad on his photographic expeditions.  He was often only free on Saturday afternoons when we usually went to the main line , often at Pilmoor.

If he had a whole day free it was usually a trip to the S&C.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

On Tuesday I posted some photos of Swayfield and mentioned it was worth looking at them to see the changes that took place there in the 1970s.

I don't think anyone mentioned the position of the signals which changed.

David

On 05/08/2020 at 15:12, DaveF said:

Many thanks for all the good wishes for my birthday yesterday.  I had an enjoyable day.

Today's photos are from Glasgow Central between 1990 and 1995.  All the visits were on journeys to and from Glasgow Exhibition.  I usually travelled there by train, often from Newcastle via Carlisle and the Glasgow and South Western route just to go a different way.

At one time I drove there from Northumberland but gave that up after getting stuck for several hours in a traffic jam when the A69 was closed by snow.  Another year I only just managed to get home as the A74 was badly affected by snow.  After that I used the train.

David

The A69 is a disgrace of a trunk road at any time of year, used to do a lot of travelling to the Durham area and would take the long way round via the A66 which is marginally better now

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Teesside photo’s which are all of interest. I’m saying little about that fence in the first two photo’s, except “Must do better”! ;)  

Now, in the final photo’, C18468, at Grangetown Junction, with a solitary class 153 on a service to Saltburn and a class 37 on an up freight train on the 14th April, 1993, you have some sense of the sheer scale of the place. I’d imagine it is just too big for anyone to make a scale model of it. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember that footbridge in C19880 and C19884 well. In 1978 a friend and I were walking along the road, when we heard a steam whistle coming from the Thornaby direction. We raced up onto the bridge, in time to see 841 "GREENE KING", along with a single clerestory coach, approaching. I had seen it earlier, taking on water at Carr Loco. With no source of information, as we now have with Real Time Trains, we had no idea of the working - but it proved to be the day upon which it transferred from its previous home at the Nene Valley Railway to the North York Moors. Sadly, it was a pretty grim day, weatherwise, and the three or four photographs that I took at the time are of pretty poor quality.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, DaveF said:

I don't think anyone mentioned the position of the signals which changed.

Stageworks for Doncaster/Peterborough PSB which meant a lot of intermediate boxes and signals vanished with control passing to one box in a few mile area with new colour lights, until it too succumbed to the PSB

PS - Thanks for sharing.

PPS - Hope you had a good birthday, sorry I missed it as I don't visit the forum too often these days.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Grantham to Nottingham photo’s which are all of interest. In J6946, at Radcliffe on Trent  with a class 114 unit on a Grantham to Nottingham train in May, 1980, I’m quite sure that there are signs that the leading car, a DMBS has a degree of sag. Perhaps I’m wrong, but the guttering is certainly sagging, and the saloon windows seem to be following it too. I know some of the high density suburban units could suffer body sag, leading to the doors being very difficult to open, as a result of crush loading. This is certainly a most revealing photo’, either way.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting yet more great photos Dave, and perfect timing for my Sunday morning coffee. Particularly like the Shunt signal in J6462. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1