Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

5 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

C11826 Are those BDA wagons with long stanchions with the logs on? If so, I didn’t know they’d ever been used for that purpose. 

They are; I believe they may have been re-coded BTA; there were also some vac-fitted BDV that received air-pipes, and were coded BTW, They tended to work to different destinations to the OTAs, (seen further back in the train); I believe Hereford was one destination,

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Scottish photo’s which are all of interest. In C18319, at Crawford, with a class  87, on a Euston to Glasgow express, on the 26th February, 1993, the train looks so dark against the snowy landscape. It will have been a most cold day too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like these latest photo’s of York. All are of interest, and we think alike. I too love to take photo’s of various things on the railway which are not always of trains. The latest example of that is the new, very ugly signal, on the up platform at Beverley. I think I’ll post that photo’ into my East Yorkshire thread.

So, of these York photo’s, in J9054, you have a fine portrait of 150212, on a Manchester Victoria to Scarborough service in July, 1987. I recall the seats being most uncomfortable on anything except a local journey, certainly not a cross Pennine one. Just too many numb bums from long journeys...aching backs too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Market65 said:

So, of these York photo’s, in J9054, you have a fine portrait of 150212, on a Manchester Victoria to Scarborough service in July, 1987. I recall the seats being most uncomfortable on anything except a local journey, certainly not a cross Pennine one. Just too many numb bums from long journeys...aching backs too.

The seats in the far vehicle of the pair are even more uncomfortable now, since it was involved in the first accident for the class, at Seamer, in 1987 (subsequently broken up).

• Thanks 1

Dave the Tanfield is a brilliant place with interesting rolling stock and locos ,plus the staff are very friendly with a pleaseant trip as well.Been there three times and every time enjoyed myself hope they are doing okay in the current situation. Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tanfield Railway photo’s. All are of interest, and I’m intrigued by the electric locomotive in C9475, at Marley Hill. An AEG, NCB, number 9, ex Harton, on the 28th May, 1988. Has it ever run I wonder? 
The Glasgow Central photo’s are all of interest and nostalgia. In the first photo’, of a class 107 DMU, 107026, on the 2nd March, 1991, you have a fantastic view of the maze of trackwork. What remarkable model it would make.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

The area outside Glasgow Central is known as The Jungle, with good reason ! It has been slightly simplified since David's photos, with a couple of the Centre Sidings removed, but is still rather complex. And on the other hand Central has gained platforms. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

C20081 The Class 86 is likely to be 86416. It’s definitely an 86/4 as it has the mu jumper receptacles removed and the others that were unnamed and in RES rather than Red had slight differences, e.g. 86426 had white handrails.

• Thanks 1

C15623, the Class 107 at Glasgow Central. Interesting, for me at least, to see the set number as 026, with the 0 looking like an addition.

I remember the 107s in the mid 1980s as being numbered in the 400s, so that was probably 426 in earlier years. The Class 101 sets were numbered in the 300s, and the odds-and-sods (104s, 116s) before the mass invasion of other regions cast-offs at the end of the 1980s were numbered in such a way that presumably you could refer to set 426, for example, and that would be unique - at least among the Scottish allocation.

First 107 to receive the black and orange Strathclyde PTE livery was 107 444. You'll know how I remembered that ...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the WCML photo’s at Low Gill from the 11th April, 1995. All are of interest, and show how things have changed in the intervening years. The last photo’, of the Little North Western viaduct, is a spendid subject for a photograph, and would make a great model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

C20037: Looks like they must have used a Birmingham/Wolverhampton set for that train as the Glasgows were usually Mk3 sets. 

could it have been The Clansman? Can’t remember when it stopped running but I.t was often Mk2f stock rather than Mk3s

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

could it have been The Clansman? Can’t remember when it stopped running but I.t was often Mk2f stock rather than Mk3s

Would that have had a DVT though? The 87 is propelling in the picture. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

C20037: Looks like they must have used a Birmingham/Wolverhampton set for that train as the Glasgows were usually Mk3 sets. 

4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

3 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Would that have had a DVT though? The 87 is propelling in the picture. 

I've had a  look at my slide catalogue, from my notes it seems I identified the train as a Glasgow to Euston because of the time I saw it.  If it was not running to time it could have been a Birmingham/Wolverhampton train.  Unfortunately I don't have a note of the exact time - once I copied what I thought was the useful information I binned the notes I made when I took the photo.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

C15623, the Class 107 at Glasgow Central. Interesting, for me at least, to see the set number as 026, with the 0 looking like an addition.

I remember the 107s in the mid 1980s as being numbered in the 400s, so that was probably 426 in earlier years. The Class 101 sets were numbered in the 300s, and the odds-and-sods (104s, 116s) before the mass invasion of other regions cast-offs at the end of the 1980s were numbered in such a way that presumably you could refer to set 426, for example, and that would be unique - at least among the Scottish allocation.

107 026 - which was 107 426 from 1985 to 1988, then 107 726 until 1990, then 107 026 for the rest of its life. Formed 51986+59803+52018 (assuming it had not been short-term reformed). 52018 was replaced by 52023 later in 1991.

• Thanks 1