Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle to Sunderland and the Durham Coast photo’s all of which are of interest. In J9759, at Hartlepool, with ‘Skipper’, 142025, on a Newcastle to Middlesbrough service, in February, 1989, you have an excellent and crystal clear photo’ of the unit in it’s distinctive chocolate and cream livery. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s. All are of interest, and in the last one, at How Mill, with 156448, on a Carlisle to Middlesbrough train, on the 1st June, 1994, you have captured a scene of a place which has not photographed very much. It was quite a scenic location, and the one time station has been closed since 1959 - the exact closure date is not available for some reason.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Essendine and Eaton Lane Crossing photo’s, which are all of interest. In the first photo’, at Essendine, with a class 254, HST, on an up express, in August, 1983, you can see the plume of exhaust as it trails back along the train as it accelerates up the line.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s, and all are of interest. In C14520, that’s a great three quarters shot of 90015, on the down Royal Scot, from Euston to Glasgow, on the 30th May, 1990.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent photos as usual Dave.  Thanks for keeping this thread running, as it's an automatic "go to" for me.

The most striking thing about your latest set from Carlisle is that it isn't raining in all of them.  In fact the sky is a strange colour in places, it looks like it might be blue :D

Edited by 55020
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

J8802 looks like there is a pair of Strathclyde Class 318 EMUs in the platform behind. 
J10967 The very orange cantrail stripe was typical of Thornaby Class 47/3s so perhaps a DMU replacement on a Newcastle service? The IC service is more likely to be 3xTF plus Buffet rather than 4xTF.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

J8802 looks like there is a pair of Strathclyde Class 318 EMUs in the platform behind. 
J10967 The very orange cantrail stripe was typical of Thornaby Class 47/3s so perhaps a DMU replacement on a Newcastle service? The IC service is more likely to be 3xTF plus Buffet rather than 4xTF.

I had forgotten about the 318s.  I think they were "running in".

The 47 was replacing a dmu.

David

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, russ p said:

Excellent pictures David 

I didn't realise the line from Saxby was still in place so late

Sorry, I didn't make it very clear in my post with the photos.

The track was only between the junctions for Buckminster and Market Overton.  The rest was just old ballast - I walked most of it at various times.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Great to see some more photos of Newcastle from my student years, David. 

I keep checking each batch from Newcastle closely, in case I appear in any. Nothing yet, although I did spend as much time at Central as I did in lectures! But, I was studying transport, and the course tutors had told us that we should "get out and study our subject" so had the perfect excuse. Happy memories, and great to re-visit them on a Sunday afternoon; thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Market Overton and Sewstern photo’s which are of both interest and historical value. In the first photo’, at Market Overton, the NER directors saloon and GER number 1, in July, 1972, were both looking superb, radiant even, in newly repainted condition. 
The Newcastle photo’s are as interesting as always, and in C11968, with large logo 47, 47577, on a Newcastle to Liverpool service on the 1st June, 1989, in C11968, you have captured a delightful and evocative scene, with the sun angled in such a way that the shadows are prominent and an important part of the composition.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML just north of Newcastle. All are of interest, and in the first one at Heaton Depot, servicing and repair sheds, in January, 1990, you can see how all the doors have black and yellow chevrons except for the forth one from the left which, for some reason has the stripes horizontal. 

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

Looks like they've flown the coop!

The gangway door looks like it's been borrowed from a Victorian terraced house.

And it’s knob has dropped off! Just a black mark is left behind.....

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1