Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

This morning's photos are from a visit to the Ffestiniog railway in August 1970.

I have just realised that I took these photos 50 years ago.  It seems like yesterday.

877673737_TanyBwlchEarlofMerioneth22ndAug70C238.jpg.2757091ffc6da3f76aa5f8abb6296c99.jpg

Tan y Bwlch Earl of Merioneth 22nd Aug 70 C238.jpg

1361013569_TanyBwlch22ndAug70C246.jpg.a3a8b52c603daa7322a9be0f1794afe9.jpg

Tan y Bwlch 22nd Aug 70 C246.jpg

185596471_TanyBwlchLinda22ndAug70C248.jpg.742dca0cee5b211a343f977bf2723e13.jpg

Tan y Bwlch Linda 22nd Aug 70 C248.jpg

1055799568_TanyBwlchLinda22ndAug70C250.jpg.f45258ca675ca087014550a7f5b6941c.jpg

Tan y Bwlch Linda 22nd Aug 70 C250.jpg

479385742_PorthmadogLinda22ndAug70C253.jpg.7db6aa3862d8b5824b1b43a70a599981.jpg

Porthmadog Linda 22nd Aug 70 C253.jpg

327059793_PorthmadogTheCob22ndAug70C255.jpg.e8f36f9583845070ca38660d7055ceb0.jpg

Porthmadog The Cob 22nd Aug 70 C255.jpg

320863374_PorthmadogBlanche22ndAug70C261.jpg.3dfc92f4ea8e4ff943397ff492bb967f.jpg

Porthmadog Blanche 22nd Aug 70 C261.jpg

David

Hi David, Thanks for the Porthmadog pics, I love the place and visit whenever we go to Bala, but surprisingly, I've never fancied a trip on either Line, maybe it's my bad back that I'm frightened of upsetting, or the fact that I couldn't sit for that long without walking about because of my Hips and Knees. Either way, I know I've missed some spectacular scenery, that can't be witnessed by Car.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Ffestiniog Railway photo’s from the 22nd August, 1970, which are all full of interest and show such delightful scenes of the Welsh countryside that the line passes through. C255 at Porthmadog, The Cob, is a most tranquil scene, and so soothing in these troubled times we are living in. 
The Carlisle photo’s have much of interest in them, and in C14045, of preserved K4, 3442, on the The Pennine Pullman, from London via the S&C, on the 18th February, 1990, is a well captured view of that special train, and the atmosphere on the platform. And it would appear there is one of the converted class 25 Ethels to provide train heating. You can see the cantrail grilles and part of a cab end headcode box.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DaveF said:

Carlisle 158749 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh 31st May 95 C20223.jpg

Don't think I've seen a 158 with a snowplough style front airdam before. Now wondering if this was a one off???

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML to the north of Newark. All are of interest, and the first three capture well just how nice and sunny and warm some of September was in 1979. The last photo’ at South Muskham level crossing, with an unidentified class 47 on a Harrogate to Kings Cross service in April, 1980, shows the train to be composed of side corridor Mk1 stock. I can’t recall if the Harrogate services by that time had been converted to HST’s. Hopefully someone can fill in the blanks.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

21 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Don't think I've seen a 158 with a snowplough style front airdam before. Now wondering if this was a one off???

Regards,

Dave

Not a one-off, standard feature on Scottish 158s plus others. The units used on the Manchester Airport service were among the others, this batch was fitted with improved first class seating (2+1 style, unlike the Scottish units) and were inherited by Virgin CrossCountry and later transferred to FGW now GWR.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the ECML in County Durham photo’s which are all of interest. In C20211, at Croxdale, with a class 142, on a Metro Centre to Saltburn service, on the 30th May, 1995, the bright yellow, white and blue livery makes quite a contrast with the green surroundings.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the various Scottish photo’s. In C13996, at Ayr, of the line to Annbank Mauchline and Killoch, on the 18th February, 1990, I am  just wondering about the man who is walking along the four foot. I just hope he was authorised to be there.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the various Scottish photo’s. In C13996, at Ayr, of the line to Annbank Mauchline and Killoch, on the 18th February, 1990 I am  just wondering about the man who is walking along the four foot. I just hope he was authorised to be there.,

With warmest regards,

Rob.

No Hi Viz?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s from around Stocksfield on the Newcastle to Carlisle line. All are of interest, and in C14432, of 43093 leading a diverted down HST on the 5th May, 1990, you have captured a most photogenic view as the train passes behind the trees. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

J9697: the Class 101, or at least the leading car, will have come from a Scottish depot in the recent past. Although from memory the set numbers on the end were always black numerals, so presumably the white is a result of them having been peeled off?

• Thanks 1

C13996; As can be seen from the state of the railway, and the area generally, this is not one of the more salubrious parts of Ayrshire ! One of my former colleagues, from Ayr, told me that when Annbank Jc signalbox was still open, at pub closing times the Signalmen used to turn off all the lights and hide out of sight, to avoid becoming a target......

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

C19864:- was it the Border Counter Railway that ran straight on, whilst the mainline curved (very sharply) to the left? There were at least two serious derailments on Up trains, where the train was going too fast, carrying straight on, instead of curving off. One of them saw the train demolish a bungalow; fortunately, the inhabitants were on holiday.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Morpeth photo’s and all are of interest. In C14541, with 56119, the down coal train, on the 31st May, 1990, looks as if it is a train of empties, unless the coal was loaded at very low levels. The 56 is accelerating well going by the amount of exhaust.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

C19864:- was it the Border Counter Railway that ran straight on, whilst the mainline curved (very sharply) to the left? There were at least two serious derailments on Up trains, where the train was going too fast, carrying straight on, instead of curving off. One of them saw the train demolish a bungalow; fortunately, the inhabitants were on holiday.

Yes, the Border Counties headed almost due west while the main line curved sharply to the south.

David

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Two of the most well-known were Sleeper trains IIRC, one Deltic hauled mk1 stock and the other cl.47 hauled mk3s.

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=282

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=165

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1