Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A 303 all the way to Carlisle? Would love to have been on that, bouncing all the way. As to the MGR being empty, it could be carrying shale, some colleries had to dispose of it properly instead of just dumping it anywhere, and being heavier than the coal the HAA would not be full when loaded with it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

A 303 all the way to Carlisle? Would love to have been on that, bouncing all the way.

It would certainly have been an interesting ride, but unfortunately the 303 was only going to Carstairs; There were for many years just a couple of EMU services to Carstairs, in the morning and evening peaks, this would have been one of those. Nowadays Scotrail provide some through trains between Glasgow and Edinburgh via Carstairs (in addition to all the other routes !)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Ulgham Lane Crossing photo’s, all of which are of interest. In C18554, 37194, on an up empty pipe wagon train, on the 22nd May, 1993, appears to be accelerating if the small flurry of exhaust is anything to go by.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Some nice views of Edinburgh today, Dave. I shall be there in three weeks time but I won’t see anything as interesting, sadly. By the way, I don’t know which 47 that is in J9176 but it definitely isn’t 47484 which never wore large logo blue livery and was in GWR150 green at the time. It also carried rather long nameplates. And in J9180 you have the incongruous combination of the name “Finsbury Park” on an Eastfield-based locomotive! 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Severn Valley Railway photo’s which are so interesting. In J7181, at Bewdley, with 4MTT, 80079, in August, 1980, it’s interesting to see the coal being cut up to size with a coal hammer. That is not something you see much of in photo’s.

The Edinburgh photo’s, from August, 1987, are all of interest, and in the last photo’, of 101347, on a service to North Berwick, you can see a typical example of a unit with no destination blind, and some battering to the driver’s side of the cab.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Waverley photos, always delighted to see then from the mid 80s.

The 107 in Strathclyde livery is using Plt 18 which tended to be for services to Fife, esp Cowdenbeath pre Fife Circle or outer circle as the Edinburgh Cowdenbeath Kirkcaldy Edinburgh trains became known.

My recollection is portion trains via Carstairs including Manchester Victoria tended to use the through platforms Plt 10 and 11 on Saturdays but I've seen photos of then using the middle terminus platforms 17 or 16 like this one before. 12, 13 and 18 being shorter than 14 to 17 and 14 being used almost exclusively for ScotRail Express with 47/7 and DBSOs.

Always thought it interesting that the colour light at the departure end of 14 used mostly by 47/7s when I went there1985 to 87 has the reference E477!

Finally I always thought the 101s suited the black window surrounds.  I first remember then on the then new Bathgate Link.

I will make no comment on the middle photo.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Stocksfield photo’s from the Newcastle to Carlisle line. All are interesting and, as before, you can see the lovely NER footbridge, clearly, in some of them. In C20354, that is an excellent three quarters view of 60085, on a Stanlow to Jarrow oil tanks train, on the 5th August, 1995.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefer said:

Re: the cl.150/2 at Edinburgh - it was about this time that these became the replacement for cl.27 (or 47) and four mk1 or early MK2 coaches on the Edin-Dundee services

And it was about that time I stopped visiting Waverley on a Saturday!

How I missed the sound of a Sulzer ticking over in the middle road between 16 andc17 waiting to rake over the next Dundee service.

• Thanks 1

Evening, David.

I was immediately suspicious of the caption on C11867 (beautiful shot, though it is). My first thought was "that must have been one of the last photographs of 43013 before it was buffer-fitted" (as it remains to this day). However, on researching the conversion dates, I discovered that 43013 was modified, with the skirt cowling partially removed and standard buffer/drawgear equipment fitted to the driving end, at Stratford DRS, in March 1988, so I'm afraid that C11867 can't be that power car in April 1989.

It's still a very lovely photograph, though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Je J4504: do you think the next one was a Gresley teak or a GWR carriage? (I know there probably wasn't one, but the SVR has some very nice examples of both, though I don't know if they did then. Do I also remember a GNR carriage?)

Jonathan

At the time I think it was a rake of Mk1s, though there was some ex LMS and GWR stock in use.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I’m glad you have got that filling replaced. And I like the miscellaneous Newcastle photo’s, which are all of interest. In the first one, of the High Level Bridge, the DMU on a Newcastle to South Shields service, in February, 1980, is a hybrid set. The leading car is the Cravens class 105 DTSL, then there’s the second car, a Metro Cammell class 101 DMBS. And it is both full and standing - a three car set would have been better.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle photo’s from the 7th February, 2013. They are all of interest, and in the third one down, with 142024, on a Middlesbrough to Newcastle service, you can see how much reduced the famous diamonds were after electrification and rationalisation. Just three double slips left.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1