Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Davein the Newcastle photo with the 31 I noticed the adjacent  platform canopy had a large chunk missing with walkway on top of it.Any ideas why it was like this ?  Chris

I believe that in steam days it was the site of a water crane.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Swayfield photo’s which are all of interest. In J6126, with a class 47 on an up express in May, 1978, I’m just wondering if the 47 is standing in for a class 55 Deltic. Only it was usually Deltic plus eight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tyne Yard photo’s which are full of interest. In the last one, with 60038, on an empty limestone train, on the 10th August, 1995, the 60 looks really good in Loadhaul livery. Indeed, the Loadhaul livery seemed to suit whatever it was applied to.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

C14556 That's an awfully heavy load for a 31/4 :-)

Sometimes they surprised you. I've got a picture, from 25th May 1977, of 31 410 tanking through Peterborough, solo, at the head of 1E07, the 10:40 Edinburgh - King's Cross, which at the time was load 10 or 11, formed of Mark IID/IIFs and Mark I catering vehicles/full brake. It was one of the few Anglo-Scottish class 47 diagrams.

Obviously, it was a replacement for a failure but it was not far off schedule. Given that it was a Holbeck loco at the time, it probably went on at York or Doncaster but it must have been a very efficient loco swap.

Whether it actually reached the Cross or not, I have no idea.   :D

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s at the level crossing at South Newsham. All are full of interest and nostalgia. In C19859, the 56 on an up train of empty coal hoppers, on the 24th October, 1994, makes a fine sight as it heads the train along the line.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning, David. I like the Bowes Railway photo’s from the 1980’s. All are of interest, and the first photo’ at Springwell, with Planet, in August, 1980, is a delightful view of that small engine. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s all of which are of interest. In the first photo’ of 47482, on an empty coaching stock movement, in April, 1987, you have a great view of the way the 47 has weathered, and it would be an ideal basis for a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Is that the driver investigating a fault?

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Or having an unscheduled Personal Needs Break?

His train has cleared the crossing and is very close to the signal protecting the next level crossing, Plessey Road crossing in Newsham.

So I suspect the first suggestion is the more probable, as there are houses just out of shot to the left.

David

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Grantham to just south of Retford photo’s, all of which are of interest. In J7326, at Dry Doddington, with a class 254 HST on an up express, in February, 1981, which is an excellent photo’, you can see how the unit number has been somewhat crudely painted out on the front of that leading power car.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

J10539 is a nice powerful shot, Dave. I would have expected to see a much higher number than 33 on that milepost so obviously the zero datum point isn’t the stop blocks at Kings Cross. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

J10539 is a nice powerful shot, Dave. I would have expected to see a much higher number than 33 on that milepost so obviously the zero datum point isn’t the stop blocks at Kings Cross. 

If I remember correctly the mileposts start at 0 from Newcastle Central heading north on the ECML.

David

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, DaveF said:

If I remember correctly the mileposts start at 0 from Newcastle Central heading north on the ECML.

David

Also reset at York. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1