Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

37 minutes ago, DaveF said:

It's to save time changing it when they get to Newcastle!

David

Some of our local bus drivers do that (Arriva) because they can't be bothered. I've pointed out, on numerous occasions, that it just confuses non-locals, when the bus is going in the opposite direction .... to no avail. That, of course, was in the days when we used to use buses - it's now seven months since I last did!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the ECML photo’s in Northumberland at Buston Barns crossing. All are of interest, and in C15794, with 37080, on a down oil train, on the 11th April, 1991, you have captured an impressive three quarter view of the train as the 37 powers on by.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle Quay and Newcastle Central photo’s, all of which have points of interest. In J10666 with a class 143 on a Hexham to Newcastle service and a class 254 HST on an up express, in April, 1990, you can see the starting signal is not in use - would it have been a signal on the gantry in the background that was being used as a starting signal at that time?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle Quay and Newcastle Central photo’s, all of which have points of interest. In J10666 with a class 143 on a Hexham to Newcastle service and a class 254 HST on an up express, in April, 1990, you can see the starting signal is not in use - would it have been a signal on the gantry in the background that was being used as a starting signal at that time?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The new platforms were just coming into use and the resignalling was not finished.

To be honest I cannot remember how it worked at the time - although I worked in Newcastle I didn't often visit the station.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think it may have been, until I saw David's excellent pictures id forgotten all about the transition at Newcastle,  I used to get Middlesbrough Newcastle jobs at that time 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2020 at 15:17, DaveF said:

961196207_Hexham28thJuly90C14616.jpg.9795564479f333dabe28fcbe02598ddb.jpg

Hexham 28th July 90 C14616.jpg

A really good picture of a semaphore, with lots of things to note. Firstly it is off but the lamp is only just showing in the blue spectacle, and the lamp is a proper electric one (note the fresnel lense, oil lamps had plain bullseye’s). I would say it’s about 40* to the horizontal. 
The fittings on the post are a mix, the ladder, pivot, detector bracket and lamp bracket are all bolted through the post, whereas the weight bar and crank at the bottom are u-bolted on.

lt also shows very clearly how the detector is driven off the spectacle plate, just above the blue lense. The spectacle plate is a pressed steel one as well judging by the pivot bracket.

Also not the eastern region dod on a stand to make is visible along the platform, with its detector driven at a strange angle off the face.

Both these signals have their wires covered over by inverted concrete cable trough sections, before going round a wheel and under the track.

Note also the SPT on the post, and that both signals display track circuit diamonds.

A really useful picture Dave, as l’ve just bought an eastern region semaphore and was wondering how the detector drove.

thanks

Andy g

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tanfield Railway photo’s of which all are of interest. In the first one, at Marley Hill, with Siemens Harton electric locomotive, number 9, on the 28th May, 1989, it’s certainly one of those locomotives which I think you have to bend over in order to get in the cab. It must have been an interesting experience to drive it.

The ECML photo’s are delightful, and all show fascinating examples of the main line between Northallerton and Tyne Yard. In C8107, of Durham viaduct, on the 22nd October, 1986, you can see just how imposing the viaduct is from ground level. A delightful shot.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Morpeth photo’s which are all of interest. In C12161, with 43070 at the rear of an up HST, on the 22nd July, 1989, you can see that it has been some time since the roof of that power car had been fully cleaned, and the roof of the TGS is looking just as grim. The sign to the left reminds me that Europe was partly involved in the ECML electrification - I’d forgotten about that.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Swayfield photo’s of which all are of interest. In the first photo’, of an unidentifiable class 55 Deltic,  on a down express in November, 1968, you have a great three quarter view of the train and it’s in low lighting conditions bringing out various details which are not always so readily visible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, ba14eagle said:

J2122 - funny how a BG has found its way into the middle of the formation

From memory the train split/joined at Leeds with a portion continuing to/from Bradford.

By this time there were no Pullman brake vehicles,

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

J2122 - funny how a BG has found its way into the middle of the formation

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

From memory the train split/joined at Leeds with a portion continuing to/from Bradford.

By this time there were no Pullman brake vehicles,

David

Perhaps the two portions arrived at Leeds in the wrong order due to late running and were joined the wrong way round.

J1493 is 55010.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Market65 said:

In the first photo’, of an unidentifiable class 55 Deltic

I’m sure someone will be able to tell us which one it was :scratchhead:

edit: I see brushman47544 already has.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't suppose it was a problem on a Pullman as meals/refreshments were at-seat and served in the (or from the adjacent) kitchen cars.

Therefore you wouldn't have passengers having to walk through the train to reach the dining car or buffet, as on a normal train - where a 'middle' BG would be awkward. 

• Thanks 1