Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I can't identify individual Deltics but I know C19472 is a Class 153, the giveaway being.... it's only 1 coach !

Thanks again for all the photos David. 

I can't think of a good reason why I got that wrong, I can usually count to two (coaches).

The caption should now be correct, thanks for noticing it.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are all full of interest. In the last photo’, at Cowran Hills cutting, with 156454, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service, on the 1st June, 1994, you can see how the roof of the second car has become quite flaky. The front car remains unaffected which seems a bit odd. I won’t weather a Realtrack model like that since I don’t think anyone would quite believe it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening David great photos as usual 

The 143 has the red spot that was put on for red nose day by heaton,  was ok until some signalman stopped one as he believed it was showing a tail lamp to the front and they all had to be removed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Further pictures from a visit to Heaton depot in January 1990 today.

Heaton always seemed to me to be a depot in need of a purpose following the loss off DMU workings to the Tyne & Wear metro and coaching stock diagrams to HSTs. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Heaton Depot  photo’s from January, 1990. All are interesting and nostalgic. In J10621, with an unidentifiable class 143, on a Berwick to Newcastle train, the unit looks so tiny as it passes through the vast expanse of Heaton Depot. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert a word.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Not all depots needed a turntable. If there was a triangular layout nearby, like Landore, power cars could be turned that way. At Bristol there was the loop that ran behind Bath Road depot to St. Phillips Marsh, I think there was a photo on here recently showing an 08 and power car. I travelled on the sleeper from Paddington to Penzance in May 1987, it was diverted via Westbury. Having run round there, the train then went to Bristol and ran round again, to get the stock the right way. Finally we set off via St Phillips round the loop. Good job I was awake, I wouldn`t have known otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Heaton always seemed to me to be a depot in need of a purpose following the loss off DMU workings to the Tyne & Wear metro and coaching stock diagrams to HSTs. 

It got more of a purpose when Darlington closed about 1985 and its units moved to heaton 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

Not all depots needed a turntable. If there was a triangular layout nearby, like Landore, power cars could be turned that way. At Bristol there was the loop that ran behind Bath Road depot to St. Phillips Marsh, I think there was a photo on here recently showing an 08 and power car. I travelled on the sleeper from Paddington to Penzance in May 1987, it was diverted via Westbury. Having run round there, the train then went to Bristol and ran round again, to get the stock the right way. Finally we set off via St Phillips round the loop. Good job I was awake, I wouldn`t have known otherwise.

At Craigentinny we used the Abbeyhill triangle before it was altered. No idea how they do it now.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

At Craigentinny we used the Abbeyhill triangle before it was altered. No idea how they do it now.

3 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

I think they use the 'Sub'.

Yes, using the Niddrie triangle. 

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Not sure whether there's still a triangle at Haymarket nowadays.

There is, but using it would involve the main line so not preferable !

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Cramlington photo’s, all of which are of interest. In C9439, with 43162 leading a down HST, on the 13th April, 1988, it seems 43162 is quite well coated in oil. I’m thinking it’s not got fully cleaned. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Cramlington photo’s, all of which are of interest. In C9439, with 43162 leading a down HST, on the 13th April, 1988, it seems 43162 is quite well coated in oil. I’m thinking it’s not got fully cleaned.

I'm thinking that is one sick engine, and actually wondering if it was limping along being propelled by the rear powercar?

It looks like it has thrown most of it's oil over itself, and there is even a sheen to the leading edge ot the roof on the TGS and first TS.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s from between Newcastle and Hartlepool. All are of interest, and the last photo’ at Hartlepool of PS Wingfield Castle, an ex Humber ferry, in April, 1987, brings back memories of it in service on the Humber between Hull and New Holland. It and the other ferry would sometimes get stuck on a sandbank. Sad to see it so rusty at the time of the photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s from between Newcastle and Hartlepool. All are of interest, and the last photo’ at Hartlepool of PS Wingfield Castle, an ex Humber ferry, in April, 1987, brings back memories of it in service on the Humber between Hull and New Holland. It and the other ferry would sometimes get stuck on a sandbank. Sad to see it so rusty at the time of the photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Fear not Rob, when I saw this noble ferry  it had been painted and was in service in the same place.

As a Hull man, it was my duty to see all was right there.

Regards John Wass.

• Thanks 2