Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML between Peterborough and Retford. All are both nostalgic and of interest. In the last photo’, at Gamston, with 254023, on an up express, in June, 1979, that is a superb, ground level, three quarter front view of the train. The windscreen wiper looks to be in mid wipe. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Radcliffe on Trent and Rectory Junction photo’s which are all full of interest. In J6865, with a class 114 DMU on a Nottingham to Bingham service, at Radcliffe on Trent, in April, 1980, you can see how two shell vents have gone missing on the roof of the middle saloon on the DMBS. The last photo’, at Rectory Junction, with a class 25, 25122, shunting, in February, 1978, looks quite ethereal in the misty conditions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

Love that last picture, looks very moody in the fog. Or is it mist??

Cheers

Probably mist rising from the river which was noted for being relatively warm due to the various power stations upstream, all closed now with the exception of Ratcliffe on Soar.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

Love that last picture, looks very moody in the fog. Or is it mist??

Cheers

The Met Office distinguish the two by visibility; less than 1km is fog, 1km or more is mist. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

The Met Office distinguish the two by visibility; less than 1km is fog, 1km or more is mist. 

We used to get some real "pea soupers" in the Nottingham area in the 60s. I can remember driving by following the white centre lines on the road and hoping that there was nothing actually in front! (Young and stupid!). I have driven tens of thousands of miles around the UK since then but not come across anything so bad since.

I was told at school in those days that Nottingham was actually the foggiest area in the country (by a Met Office technical definition and based on the most foggy days rather than density). Not sure if that was correct or not.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Dry Doddington photo’s which are all of interest. In J8036, with a class 254 HST on an up express, in July, 1983, you can see it still has the same two catering cars as in the first photo’. It is an interesting story about  catering on the ECML HST’s. For, when the North East to South West cross country service was introduced from September, 1981, the TRSB’s from the ECML sets, 12 to 20 were swapped to those NE to SW sets, and they also lost the TRUK’s. A TRUB was substituted, and along with an extra TS kept up an eight car formation.

Then, afterwards, in 1984/85, sets 1 to 11 had both catering cars removed, too, with again a TRUB substituted. Only two sets kept both catering cars for the ER Pullman services. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, highpeakman said:

We used to get some real "pea soupers" in the Nottingham area in the 60s. I can remember driving by following the white centre lines on the road and hoping that there was nothing actually in front! (Young and stupid!). I have driven tens of thousands of miles around the UK since then but not come across anything so bad since.

I was told at school in those days that Nottingham was actually the foggiest area in the country (by a Met Office technical definition and based on the most foggy days rather than density). Not sure if that was correct or not.

I was at school in Nottingham in the early 1960s and can remember being sent home early quite often because of thick fog.

One evening, just outside our house you couldn't see the road, just a bit of the pavement.  It may have been the next morning that I saw a double deck bus at the end of the very narrow cul de sac behind the house - I assume the driver had been following the pavement edge.

David.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, highpeakman said:

It's been so long since I've seen a "proper" fog that I've almost forgotten what they used to be like! I remember many mornings, trying to find my way to school, either on foot or by bike - and of the world closing in again, as it got dark. Like regular snowfalls, another part of our history. Tell the kids today and they'd never believe you.  :(

Edited by 35A
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I notice that in two of the photos the sets are 2 + 7 rather than 2 + 8, though apparently still class 254 as 253 was only used for GW sets.

Jonathan

6 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

It’s so long ago I don’t remember whether there were booked 7-car sets on the ECML at that time or if a TSO or buffet is missing.

Almost certainly short formations, as the NE/SW sets normally didn't run south of Doncaster on the ECML. In J7661 I would guess that a TS is missing as the single TRUB would be correct. I think that C6162 is the same but harder to be sure from that angle.

All the photos seem to show TGSs too.

I note there were no 2+9s in that selection. I think from memory they started in early 1983.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 35A said:

It's been so long since I've seen a "proper" fog that I've almost forgotten what they used to be like! I remember many mornings, trying to find my way to school, either on foot or by bike - and of the world closing in again, as it got dark. Like regular snowfalls, another part of our history. Tell the kids today and they'd never believe you.  :(

The really thick fog conditions were a result of cold, calm weather but were made worse by atmospheric pollution so it is a very good thing that we longer see them. The conditions that existed in London for several days in December 1952 are thought to have killed at least 12,000 people and the real number may well have been much higher. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the High Dyke and ex British Steel lines photo’s, which are all of interest. In J3588, at Sewstern, with the sole preserved class A3, 4472, Flying Scotsman, on an empty coaching stock movement from Market Overton to Nottingham, in March, 1974, you have a most intriguing view of Scotsman hauling the stock tender first around a very sharply curved section of track. Indeed, it reminds me of many model railways which have track just as sharply curved.

The Edmondthorpe and Wymondham photo’s, from July, 1974, are a fascinating collection, and show things which many would not have got round to photographing. So many thanks for your Father for taking those photo’s, and J3807, is a magnificent view of a brick bridge. Just perfect for model making.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/10/2020 at 14:56, DaveF said:

Cramlington for today, on the ECML between Newcastle and Morpeth.

The photos are in order from south to north.

780383637_Cramlington27017downle5thJuly85C6983.jpg.3693fecdc5691fba56c7aaa900d78ef4.jpg

Cramlington 27017 down le 5th July 85 C6983.jpg  

457488815_Cramlington47585royaltrain18thJuly86J8638.jpg.fc1580734b6b4ea0d73c067182081063.jpg

Cramlington 47585 royal train 18th July 86 J8638.jpg

A 27 past 'Cramee'. Always a rare occurrence. They used to occasionally work down, drop something off at GD or Tyne yard, and be back on the way North very sharpish, sometimes within the hour.

I remember going to the station with my spotting mates of the time to see that Royal train...our main interest was the immaculate duff. Amazing to think how relaxed the security was back then. Can you remember what the visit was in aid of?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

A 27 past 'Cramee'. Always a rare occurrence. They used to occasionally work down, drop something off at GD or Tyne yard, and be back on the way North very sharpish, sometimes within the hour.

I remember going to the station with my spotting mates of the time to see that Royal train...our main interest was the immaculate duff. Amazing to think how relaxed the security was back then. Can you remember what the visit was in aid of?

As far as I can remember the 27 had bought a dead 47 south.

As for the Royal Visit, all I know is that Dad's notes say it was a visit to Cramlington and N

Tyneside.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle line photo’s of which all are of interest. In the first photo’, at Derwentheugh, with 142020, on a Newcastle to Hexham service on the 1st July, 1995, you have some excellent detail visible for a model of the structure to be made. It’s not too often you have such photo’s taken, and thank you for taking and posting it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1