Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

I didn't like them mentioning an inexperienced crew. The driver was but the fireman certainly wasn't. 

He is sadly no longer with us but a fantastic bloke and an excellent railway modeller 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Harrogate photo’s which are all of interest. The first three photo’s clearly show how quite grim aspects of the present station is after the rebuilding. J10768, with144008 on a Leeds to Knaresborough service, in April, 1990, shows the dark and uninviting bridge and office buildings. Originally the station was a much friendlier place. Thankfully the line to the south of the station is little changed as it crosses The Stray.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Scottish photo’s all of which are of interest. In C20368, at Carstairs, 91003, apparently on a service from Doncaster to Glasgow Central, on the 7th August, 1995, makes a fine sight at the head of that service. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro and the Harton Electric Railway at South Shields photo’s. All are of interest and always good to see the Metro units going about their work without fuss. The last photo’, at South Shields, Crossgate Bridge, with Harton electric locomotive, running light engine, on the 2nd April, 1986, reveals the very simple nature of the catenary. Just two wires. Simple looking signalling too. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the WCML photo’s from Floriston level crossing which are all of interest. In C20226, with 37684 and 37716, on an up coal train, on the 31st May, 1995, you can see how 37716 has some exhaust drifting away. I guess it is working a little harder than 37684.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest photo’s of Carlisle. All are of interest, and in C13811, 90023 looks good at the head of a Glasgow to Euston train on the 27th; October, 1989.

With warmest regards,

Rob..

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the latest photo’s of Carlisle. All are of interest, and in C13811, 90023 looks good at the head of a Glasgow to Euston train on the 27th; October, 1989.

Shocking to think that it has now been dumped at Crewe Electric Depot for FIFTEEN years. It's criminal the way that DB Cargo (formerly EWS) have laid up useful assets and allowed them to rot away, rather than dispose of them on the open market.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Kent and East Sussex Railway photo’s which are all of interest. In the first photo’, at Tenterden, with Hunslet, number 23, Holman F. Stephens, on the 19th June, 1976, that is a most bucolic scene. 
The WCML photo’s from Low Gill and Preston are fascinating, and show how the line has changed over the decades. It’s interesting to see two Mk1 sleeping cars in the last photo’, from November, 1971. There are not too many photo’s of sleeping cars, for obvious reasons, and so this photo’ is all the more welcome. Thank you for posting it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Dalmeny photo’s which are all of interest. In C20371, with 158706, on a Edinburgh to Aberdeen service, on the 7th August, 1995, you have the 158 perfectly framed by the footbridge, and you can also see that is only this, the down platform which has a canopy. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Are those being backed on to a Northbound train?, if so they may have a tale to tell.

Mike.

The sleepers were in the siding at the end of the platfrom all the time I was there, I've never found out why they were there.

David

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Were there not at one time Euston/Preston sleeping cars, detached from a Down train and attached the following night to an Up train ? 

There were.  I caught one from Preston to Euston once; I joined the sleeping car (I think there was only one) in a bay platform then quite a lot later it was attached to an up Anglo Scottish sleeper.  Would have been mid 1980s sometime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1