Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I note that J6131 is a 2+6 HST while J7820 is 2+8. I suspect the 2+6 was a short form due to faults somewhere although others may be able to explain better. Great photos as always.

I agree with the others. Since the 2+6 HST in J6131 has no catering vehicle in the set, its more likely ecs, driver training or the like. But I do have an inkling that some catering cars were late arriving, but would they really have let sets without in regular service when BR was trying to promote the new HSTs as the way to travel?

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Swayfield photo’s, all of which are of interest. In C2583, with an unidentified class 47 on a down express passenger train, the 13.00 Kings Cross to Edinburgh service, in January, 1976, you can see how an air conditioned Mkll has been replaced by an earlier non air conditioned Mkll for the fourth vehicle from the 47.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Swayfield photo’s, all of which are of interest. In C2583, with an unidentified class 47 on a down express passenger train, the 13.00 Kings Cross to Edinburgh service, in January, 1976, you can see how an air conditioned Mkll has been replaced by an earlier non air conditioned Mkll for the fourth vehicle from the 47.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

In the early days of the Mk2d fleet that was very common because of multiple issues with the air-con on these coaches in severe heat or severe cold and frost.

There's some good photos of sets made up more or less 50/50 Mk2D/Mk2a/b stock in 1971-73.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The Blyth and Tyne again today bwteen Winning and North Blyth over about 24 years.

9234777_Winning56127coaltoBlythPowerstationSept87J9298.jpg.0746f6ac525ae458ef3c0a740c6c4124.jpg

Winning 56127 coal to Blyth Power station Sept 87 J9298.jpg

797225376_Winning56120empties21stAugust89C13717.jpg.433880a0cce346645359b146f82ecef0.jpg

Winning 56120 up empties 21st August 89 C13717.jpg

1999778932_Winning37410empties26thOct92C18079.jpg.fd99ee224f3338d5d677d9f065c0d92f.jpg

Winning 37410 down empties with brake van 26th Oct 92 C18079.jpg

717816121_eBlythWeststaithesbeingdemolished4thSept95C20511.jpg.008e370703b64cf30624f05711637314.jpg

Blyth West staithes being demolished 4th Sept 95 C20511.jpg   They were cut down to a few feet above the level of high tide.

915113371_AlcanNorthBlyth55022RoyalScotsGreypropellingwagonstobeloaded11thApr2011.jpg.18a67ffa70bf35a1e368f88a7589fa7a.jpg

Alcan North Blyth 55022 Royal Scots Grey propelling wagons to be loaded 11th Apr 2011.jpg

David

Am I right in recalling that 55022 was on hire to GBRf for that duty? I seem to vaguely remember a headboard being carried at one point making mention of such.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from between Winning and North Blyth. All are of interest, and in the last photo’, at Alcan, North Blyth, with 55022, Royal Scots Grey, propelling wagons to be loaded, on the 11th April, 2011, you have captured a most unique scene which would translate into a fabulous model with the forthcoming model of the 55 Deltic from Accurascale. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Am I right in recalling that 55022 was on hire to GBRf for that duty? I seem to vaguely remember a headboard being carried at one point making mention of such.

Yes, it was on hire to GBRf at the time, the workings were very popular with local photographers.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, talisman56 said:

Always interested to see how the 'Davemobile' changed through the years. Presumably the Mondeo was the model of that time? Mind you, one of the doors is 'on the latch'...

That one's not mine - I've never owned  a Ford.  At that time I was driving a dark grey Toyota Auris.

I judged that as I was over 60 I could have a Toyota.

David

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

There's some good photos of sets made up more or less 50/50 Mk2D/Mk2a/b stock in 1971-73.

Unlikely to be any Mk IIb that early, I'd suggest. The Eastern only had MkII and MkIIa until the the MkIId fleet was delivered. IIRC, the MkIIb were predominantly Western and the MkIIc split between the Western and London Midland (or was it the other way around?). It wasn't until the early 80s that some MkIIb FKs drifted across to the Eastern, AFAIR. I'll have to ferret out my old coaching stock books over the weekend to confirm!  :D

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 35A said:

Unlikely to be any Mk IIb that early, I'd suggest. The Eastern only had MkII and MkIIa until the the MkIId fleet was delivered. IIRC, the MkIIb were predominantly Western and the MkIIc split between the Western and London Midland (or was it the other way around?). It wasn't until the early 80s that some MkIIb FKs drifted across to the Eastern, AFAIR. I'll have to ferret out my old coaching stock books over the weekend to confirm!  :D

There were definitely some rakes in the early years of the Mk2D that ended up with certain air-cons being swapped out for earlier Mk2 types, most had centre doors so would be 2A stock but I'm sure a handful had no centre-doors so must've been 2B or C but I'm sure an article somewhere listed them as 2B.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Bluebell Railway photo’s which are all of interest and are so nostalgic. In C2549, at Holywell, with SECR  class C, number 592, on a Sheffield Park to Horsted Keynes service, in December, 1975, you have captured, perfectly, a lovely scene of a steam engine in a delightful countryside setting. 
The ECML in Northumberland photo’s are all interesting, and how Alnmouth had changed from June, 1973, when I went there by a school special excursion train to visit Holy Island. 91023 on a down express, on the 26th November, 1994, in C19879, shows such a different railway from my visit. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

C9550. The wagons in red and grey livery are former open BR ferry wagons (TOPS code OJX/ OJB) . They are probably returning to Ferryhill after delivering magnesium limestone to Scotland. Some have been cut down to 5 planks.

The Ferry Highs are one of the wagons that are crying out to be modelled!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

C6696 I think this would technically be a 253 - this class covers the NE-SW sets (of which this is one) identifiable by having only one TF and a TRSB buffet.

The power car is one of the DM type (with no guard's office) and not allocated to a specific set.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s going north from Darlington on the ECML. All are of interest, and what a delightful ‘train in the landscape’ photo’ in C19127, at Hett Mill, with a class 91 and MklV’s on a down express on the 16th October, 1993. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

C6696 I think this would technically be a 253 - this class covers the NE-SW sets (of which this is one) identifiable by having only one TF and a TRSB buffet.

The power car is one of the DM type (with no guard's office) and not allocated to a specific set.

45 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s going north from Darlington on the ECML. All are of interest, and what a delightful ‘train in the landscape’ photo’ in C19127, at Hett Mill, with a class 91 and MklV’s on a down express on the 16th October, 1993. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Many thanks keefer,  I think I need to learn to count coaches.

I've changed the caption to Class 253.

Rob,

Thanks again, as always for your comment.  It's  a photo I particularly like.

David

Edited by DaveF

16 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The Ferry Highs are one of the wagons that are crying out to be modelled!

Peco did an N gauge version way back in the late 1960s, which is still available. They even do it in the red/grey livery BUT they letter and number it up as an OBA!

• Thanks 1