Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

J1309 conjures up lots of questions. Were the two crossovers formed as a diamond or separate single leads? How usual was it to have three and four aspects mixed like that, and what was the sequence if changing from inner to outer running line when the outer could not show a double yellow but you were approaching on the inner at an appropriate speed to need the double yellows? So in some ways more interesting than yet another HST...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

J1309 conjures up lots of questions. Were the two crossovers formed as a diamond or separate single leads? How usual was it to have three and four aspects mixed like that, and what was the sequence if changing from inner to outer running line when the outer could not show a double yellow but you were approaching on the inner at an appropriate speed to need the double yellows? So in some ways more interesting than yet another HST...

1. The crossovers were/are separate single leads. 

2. Very common. The "slows" were all 3 aspect, the "fasts" are 4 aspects. 

3. Not sure I understand the question. The slows have a lower line speed than the fasts and signalled appropriately, not sure why you need a double-yellow on the slows. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Pilmoor photo’s which are all of interest. I particularly like  DMImageS05, of preserved class A3, 4472,  Flying Scotsman, on the The Hadrian Flyer, from Kings Cross to Newcastle, in June, 1967. It makes a fine sight at the head of the train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What a fantastic set of photo’s of the former Great Central line between Nottingham and Loughborough. They are all of interest, and all have quite a story to tell. My first thoughts on seeing the first three photo’s of Nottingham were that it was such a waste of time, effort and money when the line was closed down leaving, at the time of those photo’s, just the remains of the trackbed etc.,  Thank goodness a section of the line has been preserved.

Most interesting to see, in JBWP175, at the River Trent Bridge, a BR diver about to inspect it, in c1949. There seem so few photo’s of divers carrying out inspections. That is the first one I’ve seen. Thank you for posting it.

The last photo’ at Loughborough Central station, with B1, 61154, on an up passenger service, in c1955, is a pleasant sight, and will have been such an ‘everyday sight’ at the time. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Bottesford photo’s all of which are of interest. In the first photo’ of a class 114 unit on a Nottingham to Grantham service, in May, 1981, you can see how two roof vents have gone missing off the roof of the DTCL. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest York photo’s, all of which are of interest. I particularly like C7873, of the sole preserved class V2, 4771, Green Arrow, on the Scarborough Spa Express, on the 3rd August, 1986. Somehow I always missed the V2 when on the SSE in the eighties. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

3rd Aug 1986 was my 18th birthday, afraid that I had other things on my mind ....hic :mocking_mini: ....but nice to see what I missed that day ! Great photo.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s all of which are of interest. In C20463, at Backworth Junction, with Metro, 4040, leading a Pelaw to St James service on the16th August, 1995, you can see, in the foreground, on the other track, that the inner rail has a slightly wonky looking joint. Hopefully it was quickly put right if it was a dog leg at that joint. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tanfield Railway photo’s which are all of interest. In C14359, at Marley Hill, on the 16th April,1990, you have a great view of some North Eastern Railway hopper wagons of which the nearest two are twenty tonners. I think I can just make out a North Eastern birdcage brakevan on the adjacent track, but I could be wrong.

The Newcastle to Middlesbrough railway photo’s are all of interest, and the first one of Boldon Colliery/Brockley Whins, with a class 143 Pacer, on a Newcastle to Sunderland service, in April, 1986, is a good example of a train in the distance in an urban landscape. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Newcastle Central photo’s which are all of interest. In C9142, with 43065 leading a down HST, on the 1st September, 1987, you can see what appears to be a film crew on the platform. I wonder what programme or film they were making?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1