Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Steamport at Southport photo’s, from June, 1983, which are all of interest. In the last photo’, of Peckett, ‘North Western Gas Board’, it is well captured by your Dad’s camera. 
The Carlisle photo’s are excellent, and capture how it was there in the first half of the 1990’s so perfectly. The first photo’ of 26041 and 60006, on a light engine movement, on the 24th October, 1990, is a splendid portrait shot of 60006. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures David.  Great to see not only the trams but also the cars of the time .

You often manage to capture rare vehicles in your pictures and today is no exception,  a volvo 360 GLT 

In the last picture with the two car tram is the rear vehicle simply a trailer or a driving trailer? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, russ p said:

Excellent pictures David.  Great to see not only the trams but also the cars of the time .

You often manage to capture rare vehicles in your pictures and today is no exception,  a volvo 360 GLT 

In the last picture with the two car tram is the rear vehicle simply a trailer or a driving trailer? 

I'm not sure, but I think it is just a trailer.

To be honest I know more about early British trams than later ones.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Blackpool trams in Fleetwood photo’s, from the 5th July, 1994,  which are fascinating. In C19506, tram number 724, Balloon double decker, looks most imposing, and a change from the single deckers. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

The Progress twins have quite a complicated history. The powered car was originally one of the pre-war English Electric Railcoaches, your photo earlier in the posting shows a similar style copied by Brush. In the late 50s, two of the EE cars were rebuilt, as a trial, into a towing car + trailer, with new squared off ends. After trials, it was decided to have 10 twin sets. New trailers were bought in from Metro Cammell around 1960. The trial trailer was then remotored to become a towing car, and 8 others were similarly converted. All the sets originally had driving cabs at both ends of the towing cars only at that time, with the trailers being non-drivable. Later on the rear cab on the towcars was moved to the far end cab of the trailers, as shown in your photos. This meant the twins could reverse anywhere instead of just using the turning loops. Later still, 2 of the trailers were scrapped, and their towcars once again gained a cab at each end.

Also, 11 sets of towing gear were ordered; the 11 set was used on the illuminated train and coach.

Apart from the original EE/Brush/MetCam new-builds, all conversion work (and maintenance) of the trams has been carried out by the tramway workshops at Rigby Road. They have certainly had there moneys-worth out of the old fleet over the years.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the ECML photo’s from Damdykes and Fenham, of which all are of interest. In particular I like J10574, at Damdykes, with a class 37 on a down train of oil tanks, in December, 1989. I love the way the Sun is trying to shine from behind the clouds creating a most remarkable effect.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

Longhirst HST down19th May 90 C14460.jpg

Cracking shot that, a very clean train contrasting with the green of the crop growing in the field. And it looks as though the driver has given it full power as he cleared the crossing too....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s in Northumberland at Longhirst. All are of interest, and the first photo’ of a class 40, on a down service, in December, 1980, is most photogenic with the water in the foreground as the train passes by in the background.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To remove a comma.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s, which are all of interest. In C19380, at Plenmeller, with a class 156 unit on a Stranraer to Newcastle service, on the 29th March, 1994, you have captured a most delightful view of a ‘train in the landscape’. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1