Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the High Dyke branch and ex British Steel lines photo’s which are all of interest. In J3770, at Sewstern with preserved class 03, number D2381, shunting an ex - LMS parcels van into the shed in June, 1974, you can see on the end of the van the code BGZ. That’s interesting since I thought they were simply known as Stove R’s.
The closed railway line photo’s from the north east and the Newcastle photo’s are fascinating and in C18495, at Fontburn looking to the south on the ex - NBR  Scotsgap to Rothbury line on the 16th April, 1993, it’s hard to believe that in earlier days it would have been a train and not a sheep that would have been photographed. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely shots today, David. Takes me back to the time I was seeing a girl who was studying up there. When I first started going it was still HSTs but by the time she finished the course the 91s had taken over. I couldn’t help noticing the extra first class coach in the Trans Pennine working arriving behind 47444; usually those 7 coach sets only had one.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle Central photo’s all of which are of interest. In the last photo’, you have captured a superb three quarter portrait shot of 91016, on a Kings Cross to Glasgow Central service on the 21st April, 1992.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

929729162_IMG_20210118_183856979.jpg.e0392d0512cb5e4093299b7768a7777f.jpg

Is this Waterworks crossing.

If I'm in the right area I'll expand further.

Mike.

Yes it is.

Sorry I took so long to reply, something cropped up just after I pressed thanks.

David.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/01/2021 at 17:43, DaveF said:

More from Carlisle today.

1991571764_Carlisle86401GlasgowtoBrighton24thOct90C15439.jpg.678d0e5d8f5e191bd3aa4a9dda3bbaf7.jpg

Carlisle 86401 Glasgow to Brighton 24th Oct 90 C15439.jpg

Blimey, I'd forgotten 86's in NSE livery were even a thing! Lovely photos, thanks for sharing them.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

929729162_IMG_20210118_183856979.jpg.e0392d0512cb5e4093299b7768a7777f.jpg

Is this Waterworks crossing.

If I'm in the right area I'll expand further.

Mike.

8 hours ago, DaveF said:

Yes it is.

Sorry I took so long to reply, something cropped up just after I pressed thanks.

David.

I took that photo in 1969, I'd just arrived for a days train spotting in York on the 0900 ish SSO Sheffield - Scarborough which arrived at one of the outermost platforms, so from the date up until 1974 there was only a northbound connection, when presumably the whole crossing was removed, so when was the southbound connection removed?

Mike.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Edinburgh photo’s from August, 1987. All are of interest and I particularly like J9171, of a 150/2 on a Glasgow Central to Edinburgh service, and how a young couple have been caught in the photo’ on the grassy slope too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Edinburgh photo’s from August, 1987. All are of interest and I particularly like J9171, of a 150/2 on a Glasgow Central to Edinburgh service, and how a young couple have been caught in the photo’ on the grassy slope too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I must have gotten to the stage in life where the trains take priority - I didn't notice the couple until you mentioned it, Rob... :blink:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

J9171;I suspect this is more likely to be an Bathgate or Dundee-Edinburgh service; At that time we had just received our first small fleet (seven) of Sprinters and those were the services they were diagrammed for. (In October 1987, displaced from my post in Glasgow Control, I spent a month riding the new units to assess their performance and reception). 

Thanks as always for great photos. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Bottesford photo’s which are all of interest. In J8077, the class 105 on a Skegness to Nottingham train, in September, 1983, is leading two two car class 114’s. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s all of which are of interest. In C16731, of 37063 and 47333, on the 14th March, 1992, you have captured a superb three quarters portrait shot of 37063 with 47333 too. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Plawsworth photo’s which are all of interest. The first photo’ of 37177 hauling 47421 dead on a Liverpool to Newcastle train, in October, 1987, shows a nice misty Autumnal scene, and I think it would be difficult to recapture that on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

So passenger trains again on the Blyth & Tyne to Ashington. I assume Newbiggin doesn't merit a service or has the line gone?

Jonathan

Yes, it's great news. At long last it looks like it's going to happen.

The line to Newbiggin is long gone, but never say never. The branch from Newsham to Blyth is also long gone, so Blyth will be served by 2 stations on the outskirts , Newsham and Bebside.

• Thanks 1