Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Sorry to be so late but I’ve been tracing an electrical short circuit on my model railway which I’ve just got solved at Midnight! Well I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s which are all of interest, and in J7675, at Newcastle, with a Metro on the QE2 bridge, in August, 1982, as photographed from the High Level Bridge, you have a photo’ which is most photogenic and shows several of the bridges in the one photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Yes, it's great news. At long last it looks like it's going to happen.

The line to Newbiggin is long gone, but never say never. The branch from Newsham to Blyth is also long gone, so Blyth will be served by 2 stations on the outskirts , Newsham and Bebside.

There could still be a station in Blyth with a bit of forethought. The track bed as far as the old bridge on Newsham road is still there although most of it is allotments now. If they relocated the sports centre to an alternative site they could create a station in Blyth which is fairly central and not far from the old station. Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Stephenson Railway Museum photo’s at Middle Engine Lane, next to the Silverlink shops and offices at North Shields. All are fascinating and now of historical interest. The first one of 60019 repainted as 2509 ‘Silver Link’ on the 1st May, 1989, gives us some idea how the first A4’s looked upon introduction. Such a pity Silver Link was not preserved.

The photo’s from between Newcastle and Hartlepool are excellent and convey aspects of the line perfectly. In C20018, at Brockley Whins, 142065, on a Sunderland to Metro Centre service on the 25th March, 1995, has a rather careworn cab end. The last photo’, at Hartlepool, with 143006, on a Middlesbrough to Newcastle service in February, 1989, shows the unit in fairly grim looking surroundings, although it all would make for a most excellent industrial type of model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s, which are all of interest. In J8969, at Fourstones, the class 143 on a Carlisle to Newcastle service in June, 1987, makes an excellent sight in the landscape. The last photo’ of Haltwhistle, in April, 1990, is most atmospheric, and it’s good to see both the signal box and footbridge. A well composed photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from around Nottingham. All are of interest, and the first photo’ of Attenborough, with 156429, on a Blackpool to Norwich service, on the 9th April,1990, shows the footbridge well, and the 156 is nice and shiny. The last photo’ of Nottingham Victoria north tunnel portal, in July, 1976, is very sad and shows a scene of something that should never have happened with the closure of the GCR. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave, I’ve been scratching my head a bit about the first two of today’s pictures. Is it possible that the second picture is a cropped and edited version of the first one? They look like they were taken at exactly the same moment to me. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Dave, I’ve been scratching my head a bit about the first two of today’s pictures. Is it possible that the second picture is a cropped and edited version of the first one? They look like they were taken at exactly the same moment to me. 

Nah, one of the sheep has moved.

Kev.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think the sheep have moved; applying a bit of triangulation I now think the two pictures were taken at the same time by two people standing a short distance apart. The sheep nearest the front cab door has the same posture in both pictures but her relative position is different. Dave, perhaps ewe can explain....

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

I don’t think the sheep have moved; applying a bit of triangulation I now think the two pictures were taken at the same time by two people standing a short distance apart. The sheep nearest the front cab door has the same posture in both pictures but her relative position is different. Dave, perhaps ewe can explain....

I would agree with the two person theory, or one person two cameras. The loco is stopped at the signal by the looks of it. The loco, wagons, sheep, cloud formations etc. are all the same, but the two shots have been taken with two different lens/cameras using different film judging by the colour rendition.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Northumberland photo’s from around Butterwell. All are of interest, and the last photo’ of Butterwell Junction, with a two car class 101 unit on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service, in May, 1985, is a further excellent example of a ‘train in the landscape’. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

3 hours ago, SHMD said:

Nah, one of the sheep has moved.

Kev.

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

51 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

I would agree with the two person theory, or one person two cameras. The loco is stopped at the signal by the looks of it. The loco, wagons, sheep, cloud formations etc. are all the same, but the two shots have been taken with two different lens/cameras using different film judging by the colour rendition.

It's actually very simple.

The first one in today's set was taken by me (it has a "C" in the file number), the second one by Dad (it has a "J" in the file number).  If you study them very carefully you will see that mine was taken fractionally later than Dad's.

He was using a Canon AE1 with a 135mm lens, film was Fujichrome 100ASA, mine was taken using my Canon AT1  with a 50mm lens on Agfachrome CT18 (50ASA) .  

David

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

• RMweb Gold

I once heard someone talking about Shilbottle and how the local youths deface the road signs by adding a short horizontal line to the first “l” to make it into a “t” (pictures online confirm this to be true). Apparently Shilbottle is twinned with Scheißeflasche in Germany and Bouteille de Merde in France.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

2 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

I once heard someone talking about Shilbottle and how the local youths deface the road signs by adding a short horizontal line to the first “l” to make it into a “t” (pictures online confirm this to be true). Apparently Shilbottle is twinned with Scheißeflasche in Germany and Bouteille de Merde in France.

The Shilbottle signs on the A1 are quite regularly defaced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Southside, Shilbottle Junction and Scremerston photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland. All are of interest, and in C18389, at Shilbottle Junction, with the bridge over the lane to High Buston, on the 20th March, 1993, you can see how it has two different kinds of sides with an arch on the far side with the metal beam on this side. It would make a fascinating model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from around Cramlington. All are of interest and in J11731, with an unidentified class 47 on a Edinburgh to Poole express, The Dorset Scot, in January, 1991, the second Mkll looks as if it may be a conversion of some kind. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1