Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

11 hours ago, 35A said:

Tom,

I checked my Spring 1990 P5 Coaching Stock book and it gives 40511 as the TRFK in HT35. Perhaps it was misprinted in the Combined Volume and listed in the amendments, which you (perhaps) corrected it from?

Could be! At the time it seemed like a great idea to keep my "Combined Volumes" right up to date with changes in depot allocations, livery, set formations and withdrawals etc - but now I wish I had an unadulterated one without all of my editing.

Thanks very much for checking.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, tiger said:

Could be! At the time it seemed like a great idea to keep my "Combined Volumes" right up to date with changes in depot allocations, livery, set formations and withdrawals etc - but now I wish I had an unadulterated one without all of my editing.

Thanks very much for checking.

Platform 5 do have back-issues available of many of their pocket books and combines. Not every year for each version but possibly worth a look https://www.platform5.com/Catalogue/Platform-5-Back-Numbers Click on the publication you want and then you'll get a drop down of the years still in stock.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

Not a quibble, more a query David...

In your pic ref C19110 you list the location as Croxdale. My OCD location finder is twitching slightly. I'd say this is the overbridge at High Burnigill Farm rather than Croxdale. Would that be right?

Granted it is near Croxdale but not quite in it.

You are correct.

I caption photos taken there as Croxdale as most people from the south (i.e. south of Darlington!) wouldn't have a clue where it was.

One thing I learnt early on about putting photos on the web is that a lot of people don't have decent maps and many will not use Google Earth either.

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Western Aviator said:

J9190: 47435 will have its work cut out dragging that lot over the Pennines.

Agree. It is nearly twice as long as the usual Newcastle-Liverpool service which was normally made up of Loco, BG, 1st and 5 TSOs.

(But towards the end, anything could have happened!)

Kev.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, DaveF said:

You are correct.

I caption photos taken there as Croxdale as most people from the south (i.e. south of Darlington!) wouldn't have a clue where it was.

One thing I learnt early on about putting photos on the web is that a lot of people don't have decent maps and many will not use Google Earth either.

David

Got it, thanks! My OCD can relax!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from between Darlington and Newcastle. All are of interest, and in the first photo’, at Croxdale, with a class 91, on a Glasgow Central to Kings Cross service on the 30th May, 1995, you have a delightful scene in which the train is passing through. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Newcastle photo’s all of which are of interest. In C11663, with 56116, on an up coal train, on the 17th February, 1989, you have a great three quarter portrait shot of the 56, and you can see how the numbers 116 have been spaced out to equal the width of the horn box. You can also see how the trackwork was being altered for the rationalisation and electrification of Newcastle station. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s, all of which are of interest. In J12889, at Denton School level crossing, with 143625, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service, in October, 1991, you have a view of the railway which is now of historic interest, and is a good example of what was ‘the everyday railway’. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

That second B&W has certainly been in your other thread and a couple more besides.  A magnificent collection of stock approaching the camera from the GE, GC and NE repectively.

Is the NE coach one of those built in the early 20s by the LNER for the GE section? Michael Harris mentioned in Gresley's Coaches some being built as a stopgap because of their shorter wheelbasehelped solve some signalling problems.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Is the NE coach one of those built in the early 20s by the LNER for the GE section?

No, they had rounded windows and panels and something of a Doncaster look to them.  That is a clerestory from the 1890 - 1905 sort of period.   There was  a large scale cascading of those vehicles in the 1930s to eliminate 6 wheel stock from the GE area.  The NE Area received a large batch of new stock at that time.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Great Eastern photo’s which are all of interest. The first two, as mentioned, are fascinating, and I always find it interesting to see just what could be found in coaching stock formations prior to the introduction of Mk1 standard stock, and the big clear out of old carriages by BR in the sixties. 
The last photo’, at Wroxton Vitriol Works crossing, at Two Mile Bottom, with a class 40, number 258, on a Newcastle to Norwich service, in October, 1972, is a fairly typical train for that era, complete with two BG’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

Rather a mixed bag today, in Great Eastern territory.

The 2 old black and white photos may have been in my black and white thread, but I can't remember.

104653473_BethnalGreenJunctionB1YarmouthtoLiverpoolStc1948JVol3093.jpg.0176534000ded96010afcaf7e09e1c48.jpg

Bethnal Green Junction B1 Yarmouth to Liverpool St c1948 JVol3093.jpg

634263929_BethnalGreenJunctionleftB1YarmouthtoLiverpoolStrightB17LiverpoolSttoKingsLynnc1948JVol3091.jpg.e428af62c09a7226980d89fbe0a9a46d.jpg

Bethnal Green Junction   left B1 Yarmouth to Liverpool St   right B17 Liverpool St to Kings Lynn c1948 JVol3091.jpg

1612160059_HarlingRoadTheRailwayInnSept73C1396.jpg.2bee8b1934edf0e17466f684ef3b9041.jpg

Harling Road The Railway Inn Sept 73 C1396.jpg

2070184590_ShotleyParkestonQuayMVSeaFreightlinerStGeorgeMay75J4342.jpg.3106cb59afe8f62801876193892d39a5.jpg

Shotley view to Parkeston Quay MV Sea Freightliner and MV St George May 75 J4342.jpg

1330064437_ShotleyviewtoParkestonQuayJune75J4381.jpg.586d8aad7acaa079735e8197aa1736b4.jpg

Shotley view to Parkeston Quay June 75 J4381.jpg

1781207888_WroxtonVitriolWorkscrossingTwoMileBottomClass40258NewcastletoNorwichOct72C1160.jpg.8a277c9a6ddf6e46b684c74205134c6b.jpg

Wroxton Vitriol Works crossing Two Mile Bottom Class 40 258 Newcastle to Norwich Oct 72 C1160.jpg

David

The second photo n this set is not just of interest to the railway enthusiast. The vessel on the right is a C1-M-AV1 cargo ship, just over 200 of these were built in the USA between 1943 and 1945. They were quite rare in European waters, the only one I ever saw was the Egyptos of Hellenic Lines, who made their ownership easy to identify by painting their name on the ships hull, and this ship has their name on the hull. When this photo was taken she was already thirty years old and I believe that she and her two sister ships lasted until 1981.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth photo’s all of which are of interest. In J11874, on the Bates branch, with 56127, on a coal train to Bates loader, in April, 1991, there is someone looking out of the rear cab door. I wonder what that was all about.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1