Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth photo’s all of which are of interest. In J11874, on the Bates branch, with 56127, on a coal train to Bates loader, in April, 1991, there is someone looking out of the rear cab door. I wonder what that was all about.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I'm not quite certain but I thnk it may have been the first train on the branch when it reopened.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I didn't realise that Deltics were vegetarian (J2922).

I have just finished rereading Gerry Fiennes' autobiography where the Deltics feature - when new. It seems like yesterday, or perhaps the day before. Locos the BRB said were not needed, 2000 hp was enough.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Swayfield photo’s which are all of interest. In J2922, class 55, 9019, is not just going ‘vegetarian’ on the 15.00 Newcastle to Kings Cross, in May, 1972, but you can see the driver looking at the camera too. ;) 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

J6627 - why is the BR logo reversed on the ship Teal?

Cheers

Darius

They always were on one side of ships.  I think there was a reason but cannot now remember.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway photo’s and they are all of interest, showing the railway in earlier days. In C8882, at Haverthwaite, the Fowler shunter, 22919, on the 9th August, 1987, shows what a lovely little locomotive it was. It’s yet another one which would make an excellent model. 
The photo’s of Radcliffe on Trent are full of period atmosphere, and capture scenes which are now long gone at least as far as the class 114 DMU’s are concerned. In J6749, with a class 114 on a Nottingham to Skegness service in December, 1979, that’s an excellent view of part of one of the units bogies. It’s just perfect for adding detail onto a model DMU bogie. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

They always were on one side of ships.  I think there was a reason but cannot now remember.

David

David, 

According to the CRW Flags of the World website:

“in fact the emblem was reversed on one side of the funnel, due to some maritime requirement that the top of the design should always point to the bows. This was to give a better visual indication of the ships direction to other navigators in times of bad visibility. “

// Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Just the opposite had happened earlier of course regarding the BR logo with the lion holding a wheel where it was ruled by the Herald of Arms that it could not be reversed to face forward on locomotives. I don't know what happened at that time about ships.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Stentor said:

This was to give a better visual indication of the ships direction to other navigators in times of bad visibility. “

If you were close enough to see that it was probably too late.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle photo’s which are all of interest. In J9775, with a class 253 HST, on a Bristol to Newcastle  service, coming in to the station over the High Level bridge, in February, 1989, you can see it is indeed one of the Cross Country sets for the NE to SW services, with just one TF. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Langwathby photo’s from on the Settle and Carlisle line. All are of interest and Blue Peter makes a most impressive sight in the first photo’ from 6th March, 1993, on The Waverley, from Newcastle to Leeds and Carlisle and return. In J13706, with 156482, on a Carlisle to Leeds service, in March, 1993, that 156 is most down to earth, especially in it’s weathered state, compared to Blue Peter. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Scottish photo’s all of which are of interest, and they reflect different aspects of Scottish railways. In C15968, at North Berwick, looking east, on the 30th June, 1991, you can see how extremely spartan the terminus is - just one track, one platform and a bufferstop. I’m not sure if there’s a shelter there or not.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1