Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bedlington North said:

David

Your pic from Saturday ref C5272 is interesting to compare with the view today. There is a pit heap in your pic, which I think may be from Choppington Colliery. It has now been levelled in common with many other heaps, changing the landscape.

This is a very similar view, taken not quite as far along the riverside path in late February 2020.

IMG_6558.JPG.25612e2a6791d1f34069ced014e66cc8.JPG

Blyth site of 1841 waggonway Barrington to Point Pleasant Feb 2020 IMG_6558.jpg

The waggonway embankment and remains of the jetty are still visible but, as you said the pit heap in the distance has now gone.

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Is that The Sidings restaurant/accomodation in the Mk1 on the left?

Yep - IIRC the end suite was "the Flying Scotsman" - there was a deck area at the end of the coach.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Is that The Sidings restaurant/accomodation in the Mk1 on the left?

Yes it is, I'd forgotten that when I wrote the caption.

If I remember correctly I was parked on the verge of the road to take the photo,  I never visted The Sidings.

Looking at the date I took the photo while driving to catch the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Yes it is, I'd forgotten that when I wrote the caption.

If I remember correctly I was parked on the verge of the road to take the photo  I never visted The Sidings.

Looking at the date I took the photo while driving to catch the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam.

David

I remember going there for a meal over thirty years ago and there was some loud idiot in there and every time a train went past he bluted out what it was and where it was going to and from unfortunately 90 percent of the time he was completely wrong so in the end I got up and told him!

This made for a fairly frosty atmosphere my then girlfriend wasn't too impressed.... and the meal was crap actually stopped for a pizza in Easingwold on the way home as I was still hungry!  Not the greatest night and mates fom work who knew I was going there blowing horns like crazy and in one case slowing right down and shouting my name!

Great pictures but not a great memory 

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s going north from York on the ECML. All are of interest, and in J13547, at Chester le Street, the class 158, is actually 158805, not 305, on the Liverpool to Newcastle service, in October, 1992. I have the Bachmann model of 158809.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s going north from York on the ECML. All are of interest, and in J13547, at Chester le Street, the class 158, is actually 158805, not 305, on the Liverpool to Newcastle service, in October, 1992. I have the Bachmann model of 158809.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I'm not sure how I got the number wrong, it is correct in my catalogue.

So my excuse is that I was wearing the wrong specs when I did the caption - my computer ones are superb when looking at the screen but I find it hard to read with them on.  My optician said he could not do varifocals for computer use and reading!

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Market65 said:

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Both of these units were among 8 subsequently converted to class 159/1s which are now plying their trade on the Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter route. Original units were 158800–801, 158803–805, 158807, 158809, 158811.

Edited by RFS
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I'm not sure how I got the number wrong, it is correct in my catalogue.

So my excuse is that I was wearing the wrong specs when I did the caption - my computer ones are superb when looking at the screen but I find it hard to read with them on.  My optician said he could not do varifocals for computer use and reading!

How strange. Ever since I stopped wearing contact lenses (once I stopped working I was spending more time in specs, at home, so it wasn't cost effective) I've always worn Multifocals/Varifocals and never needed a second pair. I'm -8.5 in both eyes, as well!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, russ p said:

I remember going there for a meal over thirty years ago and there was some loud idiot in there and every time a train went past he bluted out what it was and where it was going to and from unfortunately 90 percent of the time he was completely wrong so in the end I got up and told him!

This made for a fairly frosty atmosphere my then girlfriend wasn't too impressed.... and the meal was crap actually stopped for a pizza in Easingwold on the way home as I was still hungry!  Not the greatest night and mates fom work who knew I was going there blowing horns like crazy and in one case slowing right down and shouting my name!

Great pictures but not a great memory 

Stayed there in July 1992, what a holiday that was, went to Southport first, then up over the "Cat and Fiddle" road to Buxton, down to Peak Rail at Matlock then Doncaster for the Works Open Day, last leg was up to the Sidings for a few nights and I found it great with excellent food.  Stayed in that very compartment shown in the photo.  Go.t an absolute wad of photographs that I must scan someday.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Penrith and Clifton photo’s which are all of interest. The first photo’ of Penrith, from March, 1993, with two class 86s on an up freightliner, shows good detail of the canopies which should assist with anyone wishing to make models of them.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed your pictures from Penrith the other day David. I remember spending a couple of hours on the station in the early 90s as a kid while visiting relatives. Your pics brought back memories of the look of the station and the liveries on the stock. One thing I also recall is that there was a barrow crossing with "train approaching" lights that was usable by the public. Quite a thrill to do that after watching a few expresses storm through...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s, which all of interest. The last photo’ at Tynemouth, with a Metro, on the 11th July, 1987, shows how elaborate the canopies were. It is a shame to see the station in that state at the time of the photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

In C8676 the 150 is going the other way, towards Scarborough.

Many thanks Andrew, I've corrected it..

I've no idea how I managed to get that wrong.

David

Edited by DaveF