Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest York photo’s which, as always, are full of interest and show the station off perfectly, along with the delight of seeing that photo’ of the old railway museum. In C8676, it is actually 150212 on the Manchester to Scarborough service, on the 13th July, 1987, and in C7677, with class 110 51842, and 59697, and  51812, the centre car is also class 110, not class 127, that is on an up ECS movement, along with a class 254 HST on a down express, on the 28th July, 1986. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of closed railways in Northumberland. All are of interest, and show some remarkable scenes. A shame so much railway was closed down, but I suppose rural lines cannot really be expected to fully pay their way. In DSC_1083, that is a most charming stone bridge at Rothley Bridge - on the NBR line from Scotsgap Junction to Rothbury - on the 14th August, 2013. It’s almost like a small bridge on a model railway. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Reedsmouth Junction (spelling according to Ian Allan) could make a nice layout, with a bit of variety as it was a junction. No town to worry about. Mind you I don't know how much the goods yard sprawled.

Jonathan

You are right in the spelling of the station name, when I was doing the caption today I was looking at the spelling of the village, which is Redesmouth.

A track plan of the station can be seen by using this link to the disused stations website.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/reedsmouth/index156.shtml

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was only in Wales that the railway companies changed names to suit themselves!

An interesting layout and more complex than I imagined, but possibly doable in a garage in 4 mm - not that I have a garage or model Borders railways (well, not that border).

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I thought it was only in Wales that the railway companies changed names to suit themselves!

Whittlesea is another English example, in which instance the railway prefers to use the archaic spelling that absolutely nobody in the area uses! Other than on the station platforms you'll be hard-pressed to find it anywhere, Whittlesey being the ubiquitous non-railway usage.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s from Northumberland. All are of interest, and in J9361, of Alnmouth, with a two car class 101 unit on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service in November, 1987, my attention has been captured by a small plume of smoke in the yard. Something that was being cleared away?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s from Northumberland. All are of interest, and in J9361, of Alnmouth, with a two car class 101 unit on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service in November, 1987, my attention has been captured by a small plume of smoke in the yard. Something that was being cleared away?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think just a bit of tidying up by p.w. staff.

If I remember rightly part of the yard was used by a coal merchant (the coal did not come by rail) and the rest was used by the engineers.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2021 at 16:50, DaveF said:

Some photos of the remains of closed railways in Northumberland for this afternoon.

If you know Northumberland you will probably know the locations, otherwise will need a good map or Google Earth (or similar).

As you will notice Northumberland is quite empty - it has the lowest population density of all the English counties.

97890309_MorpethHighCommontrackbedofNBRlinetoScotsgapviewwestFeb80C4958.jpg.d6b536ce6c41282d5d4796b3333612a2.jpg

Morpeth High Common trackbed of NBR line to Scotsgap view west Feb 80 C4958.jpg

Taken looking west away from Morpeth, the road is the A1.  The line was the NBR from Morpeth to Redesmouth etc.  This part of the A1 is dual carriageway, unlike the stretch further north.

1130389605_MeldonNBRMorpethtoScoitsgaplineMay86J8563.jpg.271e3106206b800bd6494f5ecbb15d3b.jpg

The NBR line from Morpeth to Redesmouth at Meldon, looking west.  The station is behind the photographer.

428436920_Redesmouth25thOct89C13803.jpg.cbb4cebae136c0b305c3a954a374af70.jpg

Reedsmouth 25th Oct 89 C13803.jpg

The junction with the NBR line from Morpeth with the line from Hexham to Riccarton Junction. The station served the village of Redesmouth

190903876_RothleyBridge14thAug13DSC_1083.jpg.01d9dccf02347419ee82a5c695d4dbc3.jpg

Rothley Bridge 14th Aug 13 DSC_1083.jpg

On the NBR line from Scotsgap Junction to Rothbury.

2089805770_Forestburnviewwest11thDec93C19206.jpg.db6d7195f9ec8880ec4cd775582adb73.jpg

Forestburn view west 11th Dec 93 C19206.jpg

Rothbury branch.

1741282474_TheLeeBrinkburnCollieryCoremainsofinclinetoLeecollieryRothburylineFeb93J13682.jpg.a34bc29d666ebd4f917c78770b7f4045.jpg

The Lee Brinkburn Colliery Co remains of incline to Lee colliery Rothbury line Feb 93 J13682.jpg

The remains of the incline from The Lee siding on the Rothbury branch to the colliery.

David

These pictures instantly bring Ian Futers to mind!

Mike.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway photo’s which are all of interest, and show how far the railway has come in all the intervening years. The first photo’ at Haworth shows West Country pacific, 34092, City of Wells, in February, 1973. I’ve had some good journeys on the main network behind the restored engine since then, especially the Scarborough Spa Express. 
The Keighley to Settle Junction photo’s are fascinating and show much that has changed over the years. Thank goodness you and your Dad took all these excellent photo’s. In the third one down - no reference number - at Cononley, with a two car class 108 unit, on a down service from Leeds to Skipton, in August, 1967, the leading car has recently received a repaint into BR blue, but with the erroneous application on the double arrow on the driver’s door, and small yellow warning panels.  It’s not too often you see a photo’ of that blue livery variant.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Newcastle photo’s, all of which are of interest. The first photo’ of a first generation DMU, Rolls Royce engined, Metropolitan Cammell cars, class 111, 78708 and 78958 plus some other umidentified cars, on a special from Driffield to Newcastle, on the 10th July, 1987, shows one of so many instances of such a unit being put on a service for which it is really not suitable. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Love that Viaduct shot Dave, stunning composition, perfect balance.:good:

Thanks very much Andy.  It's one of Dad's but I've got one just like it - except it didn't scan well so I used this one.

I don't know why but I've only ever been there twice to take photos, yet it is a good location.  Of course to get there I have to cross the Tyne and head south, not something to be undertaken lightly!

David

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the Durham Coast Line as far as Hartlepool. All are of interest, and I also like the Crimdon Dene viaduct photo’ with a class 156, on a Middlesbrough to Hexham service in June, 1993 - J13918. I’m somewhat intrigued by the double pillar in it’s middle. That’s something I’ve not noticed before on other viaducts.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

So which of Stockport and Glasgow is in NSE territory? Mind you the freight has both locos in inappropriate liveries. It won't do, Dave. You would never get away with it on a model railway.

Nice informative photos though.

80080 certainly got about. I am pretty sure it operated on the Cambrian and it certainly hauled the TVR 150th anniversary train from Cardiff to Merthyr.2014-03-03_213.JPG.ff930b7168084c2fed87618a1c193477.JPG

Not a brilliant photo.

Jonathan

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the Durham Coast Line as far as Hartlepool. All are of interest, and I also like the Crimdon Dene viaduct photo’ with a class 156, on a Middlesbrough to Hexham service in June, 1993 - J13918. I’m somewhat intrigued by the double pillar in it’s middle. That’s something I’ve not noticed before on other viaducts.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I've seen several viaducts with a wider pillar every 5 or 6 arches. Ribblehead is one such, and has 24 arches, with a wider pillar every 6 arches. The theory is that if one arch collapses, it will only take out at most the other 5 in the section, rather than the whole thing...

Edited by talisman56
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s. All are of interest, and the first photo’, of 47847, on the up Pennine Pullman, on the 18th February, 1990, shows a careworn 47. Just a shame it could not have been a bit cleaner for railtour duties l

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1