Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML from north of York. All are of interest, and in C20983, at Bradbury, with 91023, on a down service on the 31st May, 1996, the complete train looks so uniform and neat. It’s good to know that it soon will be able to be recreated from the new Hornby models.

Yes. Interesting that 91 023 should pop up this week. Quite apart from being famous as the loco involved in both the Hatfield and Great Heck derailments, its latest claim to fame (as 91 132) is that it is the first class 91 to be despatched for dismantling and scrap - having been transported to the yard of Sims Metals, at Beeston, last week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Morpeth photo’s of which all are of interest. In C16888, with 56117, on an up coal train on the  20th December, 1991, the 56 makes quite an impression in the snowy scene. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J7674 looks pretty cold. I am surprised the camera didn't freeze up.

C2061: I see no rectory? I wonder how long ago it was demolished - or possibly washed away in an earlier flood. I hope that is a flood plain meadow in the foreground.

Great photos as ever.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

J7674 looks pretty cold. I am surprised the camera didn't freeze up.

C2061: I see no rectory? I wonder how long ago it was demolished - or possibly washed away in an earlier flood. I hope that is a flood plain meadow in the foreground.

Great photos as ever.

Jonathan

J7674 - Dad lived only a few hundred yards from the station when he took that photo.  He would have been there and back in a few minutes - and he liked snow.

I'm not sure about the rectory - though since I originally came from Nottingham perhaps I ought to know how the junction got its name.

It is a flood plain meadow in the foreground, but on the far bank you can see that the river has gone over the flood banks on the other side - which is not that uncommon.

Mum and Dad once looked at a house quite near the river further downstream, near Newark - they decided against it when they found out how often it flooded.

David

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s which are all of interest. In J4174, with a class 114 unit on a Grantham to Nottingham service in March, 1975, you can see how bright the tail lamp is so maybe they were a bit brighter than has been mentioned at times, unless it was an experimental electric lamp. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s which are all of interest. In J4174, with a class 114 unit on a Grantham to Nottingham service in March, 1975, you can see how bright the tail lamp is so maybe they were a bit brighter than has been mentioned at times, unless it was an experimental electric lamp. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

In very poor light even an oil lamp can look bright on film.

David

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Carlisle photo’s of which all are of interest. In C20530, that’s a splendid shot of 31275, on a down light engine movement, on the 29th August, 1995. In C20593, on the 25th October, 1995, with an electric light and Not To Be Moved sign, I see the writing states not to change the batteries until the light goes steady. I would have thought that the light would have to be turned off before changing the batteries as on a typical torch.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Market65 said:

In C20593, on the 25th October, 1995, with an electric light and Not To Be Moved sign, I see the writing states not to change the batteries until the light goes steady. I would have thought that the light would have to be turned off before changing the batteries as on a typical torch.

I am guessing that what that actually means is, when the light stops functioning as a flashing light, and becomes just a steady glow, it is time to change the batteries. The cessation of the flashing function indicating that the battery life is almost over, and switch off and change over as per any device.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jcarta said:

David

Looks like a Citroen ZX...... It also has headlamp protectors on ....

Jim

You got it right!

The headlamp protectors were added after I had a broken headlamp.  In replacing the unit the garage left a small piece of plastic lying somewhere in the engine bay.  A few weeks later, when I was in Switzerland the piece of plastic lodged in the gear linkage, so I couldn't engage reverse gear.

Fortunately there was a Citroen garage nearby in Chur, once the mechanic had realised the driver's seat was on the right it was soon sorted out.  He even identified the piece of plastic as being part of the headlamp retaining clip.

David

David

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Kent and East Sussex Railwa photo’s. All are of interest, and in the last photo’, at Tenterden Bank, with RSH number 26, and Terrier number 10, Sutton, on a Tenterden to Wittersham Road train, on the 26th December, 1979, with the train waiting for the level crossing gates to be opened, it makes a most charming rural scene. 
The ECML photo’s from Ulgham Lane crossing, are all of much fascination, and that first photo’, of 43123, leading a HST on the 19th May, 1990, brings back the term ‘Surrogate DVT’. Just something my memory has hung onto after all this time. It will be interesting to see Hornby’s model later this year of such a power car.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

It’s 37351 in J13687.

Another typo I'm afraid - and I proof read it - or at  least I read what I thought was there.

Many thanks for pointing it out, now corrected.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from around Newcastle, including Newburn level crossing. All are of interest, and the grass and weeds in C7184, at Newburn level crossing, looking east on the 14th September, 1985, make it very difficult to see the rails and sleepers.
In J12846, that is a most excellent portrait shot of 08701, light engine, at Newcastle station, in August, 1991.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 04/04/2021 at 17:08, DaveF said:

Another typo I'm afraid - and I proof read it - or at  least I read what I thought was there.

Many thanks for pointing it out, now corrected.

David

It's like when ii go into the kitchen and wonder, "what on Earth did I come in here for?"...my girlfriend just laughs a me, one day it will happen to her. I'm 52 and she's only 34....I doubt I'll live to see the day though.    

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

It is a common problem. I can't successfully proof read my own work as I see what I expect to see. Fortunately my wife is a very good proof reader. But no she is not available for commercial work!

Jonathan

My Dad used to proof-read stuff like the Church magazine that my Mum had typed. He would read line by line starting at the end - because that way he read what he saw, not what he expected to see. Quite a knack and one that I've never managed to acquire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

My Dad used to proof-read stuff like the Church magazine that my Mum had typed. He would read line by line starting at the end - because that way he read what he saw, not what he expected to see. Quite a knack and one that I've never managed to acquire.

What a brilliant tip! Thanks for sharing that your saintliness.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1