Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

23 hours ago, DavidBird said:

Thanks Dave, that is interesting.

In this screenshot from old-maps.co.uk, of the OS 1:10560 (6" to a mile) of 1863, Rectory Junction is yet to be built (site is the red drop-pin), and Colwick Rectory is marked to the left of the "Colwick" village name on the left side of the screen.  Ok, it's not a great distance away, but not obviously a near-by feature.  It may be more likey that the land purchased for the expansion of the yards was glebe land belonging to Gedling Rectory, and the new junction named for that.

Edit: Or maybe simply, as there were already  Colwick West, Colwick North and Colwick East Junctions, somebody just looked at the map, found the name "Colwick", spotted the word "Rectory" next to it and used that...

image.png.2e5761e5eedf7ad042c47f187ec214bd.png

"Boxing the compass" for signal box names has a precedent. March at one time had South, North, East and West Junction boxes, along the same stretch of line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Blyth and Tyne photo’s, of which all are of interest. The first one, taken on the 18th February, 1995, of Marcheys House signalbox, is a most excellent portrait shot of the box with plenty of detail for model making purposes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway  photo’s all of which are of interest. In C2096, at Kemsley Down, the Butterley 5 ton side discharge coal wagons, as seen in May, 1975, are a fascinating design, which I haven’t seen before on a narrow gauge railway. 
The ECML photo’s from Buston Barns with one from Ulgham Lane crossing are all of interest, and in C15580, with 56108 and 56098, on a down empty coal train on the 16th February, 1991, I’m just wondering if one of the 56’s was on a positioning move of some kind since, of course, one 56 could haul the train of empty HDA’s - not HAA’s as can be seen. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML in Northumberland at Southside photo’s, which are all of interest. The first one, with 43108, leading a HST, on a London Kings Cross to Aberdeen express in August, 1986, clearly shows the crossover in connection with the Whitle Colliery branch line. Like you say, it had gone by the time of J10081, with 47559, on a Newcastle to Alnmouth railbus replacement service in August, 1989, and the following photo’, J11787, with 47238 on an up ICI train in March, 1991. No trace of either the crossover or branch.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, . I like the ECML photo’s going from south to north between Darlington and Newcastle. All are of interest, and what a most atmospheric view in C19145, at Croxdale, with a HST on a down express, crossing the viaduct, on the 16th October, 1993.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, 35A said:

C20982:  interesting to see a 158 with no set number under the cab window.  :scratchhead:

IIRC that was not long after they were first introduced. Because the stickers were on the glass not the body, they didn't stick too well and would come off in the wash. Or it could have had a new windscreen ?

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

IIRC that was not long after they were first introduced. Because the stickers were on the glass not the body, they didn't stick too well and would come off in the wash. Or it could have had a new windscreen ?

I'd also forgotten they had the perspex fly shield 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Bottesford photo’s from the Grantham to Nottingham line, which are all of interest. In J7282, with a class 114 unit, on a Skegness to Nottingham service, in November, 1980, you can see a fairly rare view of such a unit with the DMBS in blue and the DTCL in blue and grey. It really was not often these units would be mixed up like that, both cars would get refurbished together more usually. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Obviously not busy as that car is pretty much on the wrong side of the road.

I see what you mean, but it's not so much on the wrong side of the road as in the middle it. It is a very minor road, a single carriageway (more of a track really). It is (or was) listed as a Station Passenger Crossing (Unprotected) back in 2004, but its status may have changed since then.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Obviously not busy as that car is pretty much on the wrong side of the road.

1 hour ago, iands said:

I see what you mean, but it's not so much on the wrong side of the road as in the middle it. It is a very minor road, a single carriageway (more of a track really). It is (or was) listed as a Station Passenger Crossing (Unprotected) back in 2004, but its status may have changed since then.

Beyond the house it was just a farm track, very narrow in places, but a very pleasant walk, so another car would be very unlikely - unless it was visiting the house.

The last time I was there, which must be about 15 years ago the track was very overgrown - even a tractor might have had problems.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, DaveF said:

More photos at Bottesford on the Grantham to Nottingham line today.

1403426937_Bottesford31207downfreightMay83J7948.jpg.a562ad7fb920200a9c0119d933fa2781.jpg

Bottesford 31207 down concrete sleepers May 83 J7948.jpg

Just out of interest does anyone know what wagons those sleepers are being carried in? 

• Thanks 1

On 06/04/2021 at 11:25, St Enodoc said:

My Dad used to proof-read stuff like the Church magazine that my Mum had typed. He would read line by line starting at the end - because that way he read what he saw, not what he expected to see. Quite a knack and one that I've never managed to acquire.

An interesting tip and one that will catch spelling mistakes, however that won't necessarily work for grammatical errors. I have to proof read clients work on a regular basis and it is not always an easy thing to do when trying to decipher a meaning within a myriad of misplaced punctuation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Those who know the area will perhaps know where the road goes this side of the crossing.

We hired a lovely cottage in the village several year so ago now, I’m sure the crossing led to a path and we did a 5/6 mile walk next to or near the river, crossing the railway further east via a bridge I think.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are all of interest. In C20664, at Bardon Mill, with 156443, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service on the 9th December, 1995, I’m quite sure that was the unit number of the first class 156 from Lima. It certainly rings a bell.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1