Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon. I like the South Tynedale Railway photo’s, all of which are of interest. I particularly like C9383, at Harbut Lodge, with Henshel, number 6, Thomas Edmondson, on a service to Alston, on the 2nd April, 1988. It makes a lovely sight.

The miscellany of photo’s starting with one at Buston Barns on the ECML are an excellent selection, and in C2920, at Radcliffe on Trent, with two class 20’s on ‘The Jolly Fisherman’, from Nottingham to Skegness, in  July, 1976, I am concerned that the drivers vision might have been impaired by the position of those headboards. I hope I’m wrong.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

A lovely miscellany. C1366 brings some memories to mind. My first sighting of class 50s was on a visit to Crewe, in July 1971, when they were working, mainly in pairs, on Anglo-Scottish trains. I remember that we saw 27 of the 50 in one day.

That Elvanfoot shot was taken in the very same month that I first passed that way, by road, en route to a holiday in the West Highlands (the next time would be in 1984, by bicycle!). Looking at my notes, I see that it was 2nd August, 1973 and, as we headed north past Elvanfoot, I noted class 50 no. 427, working solo, on a southbound train, plus class 20 no. 8119 - my notes don't record what that was doing and, 48 years on, I'm afraid that I can't remember it (although, strangely, the class 50 passing is imprinted in my brain!). Another of those lovely memories that your pictures always stir.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 35A said:

class 20 no. 8119 - my notes don't record what that was doing and, 48 years on, I'm afraid that I can't remember it

Back in those days, IIRC, Carstairs had a ballast trip loco, T02 possibly; 8119 might have been on that ?

Agree, a lovely selection of pics, although I'm surprised by how clean AM9 unit 603's number is; I always recall them as being obscured by grime !

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Durham Coast line photo’s from Seaham, Hartlepool, and Seaton Carew. All are of interest, and the first photo’ of the Seaham Harbour Railway is particularly good. It shows what was left by the time of that photo’, in April, 1987. Just some track and little else.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Damdykes and Cramlington photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland. All are of interest, and what a remarkable scene in C20716, at Cramlington, with an unidentified class 91, on an up service on the 27th December, 1995. That is a great swirl of snow from the 91 and it’s train. The low sun adds to the effect. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Swayfield photo’s, all of which are of interest. In C1750, with a class 47 on an up express passenger service August, 1977, you can some interesting marshalling with an RMB as the third vehicle. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Newcastle photo’s. All are of interest, and in C11670, with 43159, leading a Kings Cross to Edinburgh service, via the High Level Bridge, on the 17th February, 1989, you have captured the flurry of exhaust perfectly. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Butterwell Junction, Christon Bank and Chathill. All are of interest, and in J9857, of Chathill, in April, 1989, you have an excellent shot of the station buildings. I recall a 4mm scale model of them from the 1970’s. It was very accurate, but I can’t recall the name of the layout.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2021 at 19:12, brushman47544 said:

the best I can offer with J2788 is that the number is pre-TOPS and ends with a 7.

I came to the same conclusion when I had a stab at this one a couple of days ago but didn't have time to look more closely into it. However, since then, I've had another go and I would, with caution, suggest that it's possibly 1107 - which had been repainted from green to blue in the middle of that year.

Assuming that it's one of the Eastern Region stable and not an interloper, I drew the following conclusions:

• not 1507 (ETS jumpers in the wrong place for a 'Generator')
  • not 1517 (ditto)
  • not 1527 (still green)
  • not 1537 (although standard blue, it never had ETS, becoming 47 010)
  • not 1547 (although blue, it was in the earlier style with cabside numbers and emblems behind each cab door)
  • not 1557 (still green)
  • not 1767 (still green and not ETS fitted until the 1980s)
  • not 1777 (still green and not ETS fitted until the 1980s)
  • not 1997 (still green and never had ETS, becoming 47 295)

That list can probably be narrowed down, significantly, by ETS fitment date - unfortunately, I don't have Railway Observer that far back and the websites don't show modification or repaint dates, so it's down to my notes from the time. Whilst not an absolute identification, given the condition of the loco, I'd have a fair amount of confidence that it might be 1107. Non-ER locos were very, very rare on main-line passenger services at that time.

That was fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

I should add to that:

• not 1567 (still green)
  • not 1577 (still green)

In my addled, late-night, state I was thinking that the initial ER batch ended at 1562, instead of 1582!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Cumbrian Coast Line photo’s as taken with that Canon A70 camera, on the 30th July, 2003. All the photo’s look very sharp and clear, and are all of interest. In hols2 015, at Carnforth, with class 90, 90013, on an up service, pushing the train of Mk111’s, the 90 has a good coating of weathering on the bogies etc., along with some fading paintwork. It makes it look a bit worn. Certainly a good guide for weathering a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1