Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Great to see more Blyth & Tyne photos. Thanks for sharing.

Your third photo showing 56131 about to run around at South Newsham is the same location used by Alcan trains to run around these days.

The scene hasn't changed much over the years.

66733 at Newsham 5.5.18 001.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne. All are of interest, and in J13678, at South Newsham, with 56132, on an up coal containers train, in February, 1993, you can see blue smoke coming from the rear bogie area. Hopefully all was okay with nothing to be concerned about.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Great photos of a place I have always meant to visit but never have (yet), thanks again David. However; I can't help thinking that as that Locomotion No 1 is a replica, it should really be Locomotion No 2 ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, keefer said:

C9130 - how usual was it for industrial-type steam locos to have a vacuum train brake?

I think it was been fitted post preservation.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, keefer said:

C9130 - how usual was it for industrial-type steam locos to have a vacuum train brake?

If I understand correctly, the steam locos working the Oxfordshire Ironstone system were vacuum brake fitted.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s of Beamish Museum as it was in the 1980’s. All are interesting, and in J7134, at Beamish, Rowley Station, with Robert Stephenson number 3 Twizell on the left, with NER number 876, on the right, in August, 1980, the pointwork in the foreground has the typical NER interlaced sleepers. 
The ECML photo’s going north from Peterborough are all of interest and in C366, at Swayfield, with a class 47 on a down express passenger service in September, 1970, well captures the speeding train under a quite dramatic skyline.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Ulgham Lane crossing photo’s all of which are of interest. In J13666, with 60075 on a train of down empties in January, 1993, the 60 makes a fine sight at the head of that train, and how devoid of overgrowth the lineside is compared to 1994 in the following photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

About the only thing remaining from those photos is some of the locos - plus for a short while one of the passenger rakes. 

And again four out of five are diesels even though under the wires. Do other countries operate their railways like that?

Jonathan

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

J12893. Wetheral Corby Bridge footbridge had a toll when I was a boy living in Carlisle' as so many people were trespassing on the trackbed, in order to cross. Initially, a half-penny toll, each way, was charged, having risen to a penny by the time the station closed in 1956. The toll was withdrawn soon after.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s, all of which are of interest. In J11791, at Stocksfield, with 37507, on an up freight, in March, 1991, you have well composed shot of that train as the 37 powers it through the station. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s. All are of interest, and in J12993, at Whitley Bay, with Metro 4029, on a Pelaw to St James service, in February, 1992, shows the way the footbridge had been largely covered over in corrugated sides, making it look quite different to the roof in the foreground.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, keefer said:

Looks like a departmental Gresley in either black or dark olive

Looks black to me. Could be one of the Mess & Tool vans, either S&T or Civils. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the York photo’s, of which all are of interest. I’d also like to comment on the black carriage behind Green Arrow. I cruelly enlarged the photo’, and can just make out the lettering for S&T. However, there appear to be four windows on the end, which if correct, would indicate an ex - NER non corridor carriage. If right it was a very late survivor, complete with Gresley bogies. But it could be some kind of reflection, and in reality there are only two windows, which would make it a Gresley non corridor carriage. If only there was another photo’ to definitely prove it’s provenance one way or the other.

Finally, in the first photo’, is anything known about the two boys? The will be quite old by now.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, keefer said:

Looks like a departmental Gresley in either black or dark olive

2 hours ago, iands said:

Looks black to me. Could be one of the Mess & Tool vans, either S&T or Civils. 

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the York photo’s, of which all are of interest. I’d also like to comment on the black carriage behind Green Arrow. I cruelly enlarged the photo’, and can just make out the lettering for S&T. However, there appear to be four windows on the end, which if correct, would indicate an ex - NER non corridor carriage. If right it was a very late survivor, complete with Gresley bogies. But it could be some kind of reflection, and in reality there are only two windows, which would make it a Gresley non corridor carriage. If only there was another photo’ to definitely prove it’s provenance one way or the other.

Finally, in the first photo’, is anything known about the two boys? The will be quite old by now.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I've had a look at the photo in more detail and cannot decide what the S&T coach s. There is just not enough of it visible and I cannot really make out the detail of the end.

As for the boys in the museum photo I have no idea who they are.  The photo is one of Dad's.  At the time he was a teacher but I do not recognise the uniform the boys are wearing - it doesn't look quite like the uniform of the school where he taught at the time.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

York today, with one photo from the old railway museum.

340567492_YorkoldmuseumPuffingBillyc1955Scan-130526-0028.jpg.2a1fd1088489ba80f7817c040e5f81bb.jpg

York old museum Puffing Billy c1955 Scan-130526-0028.jpg

1207468774_YorkV24771GreenArrowTheNorthumbrianLimitedabouttoleaveforSheffieldSat7thApril79C4397.jpg.4fd577123bef5f9ff86e155396bb65cf.jpg

York V2 4771 Green Arrow The Northumbrian Limited about to leave for Sheffield Sat 7th April 79 C4397.jpg

118544164_York156475ScarboroughtoManchesterAug90J11611.jpg.affd0f7049b3b712294033cfc5d5e56c.jpg

York 156475 Scarborough to Manchester Aug 90 J11611.jpg

1959664050_York43069EdinburghtoKingsXAug90J11614.jpg.f8ebb784a83c794e0b156c5080b08803.jpg

York 43069 Edinburgh to Kings X Aug 90 J11614.jpg

551415324_YorkClass158ScarboroughtoLiverpool3rdJune92C16966.jpg.6e49ae7b79d0cf2ae961c77ed2aa8631.jpg

York Class 158 Scarborough to Liverpool 3rd June 92 C16966.jpg

David

Great pictures David and a happy memory for me as I was a passenger on the V2 special.  I didn't pay much attention to the V2 to be honest I was looking forward to the 76s and the trip through woodhead tunnel later that day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've now found another photo taken a few minutes earlier which shows the coach more clearly.

It is an uncorrected scan though - hence the black border of the slide mount.

1918571254_YorkV24771GreenArrowTheNorthumbrianLimitedabouttoleaveforSheffieldSat7thApril79C4396.jpg.4eeb8e2e75ef567bdd247b7ba4fa8161.jpg

York V2 4771 Green Arrow The Northumbrian Limited about to leave for Sheffield Sat 7th April 79 C4396.jpg

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19